Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Freiwillige

Weimar-era Firefighter (?) with decorations for ID

Posted (edited)

Dear Gentlemen, I need your expertise in attribution of this Weimar Republic-era portrait. I assume this man is a firefighter, but I may be wrong.

z2a.jpg

Fragment with decorations and sleeve insignia.

- EK II ausg.1914; 

- Kriegsdenkmünze 1914/18 des Kyffhäuserbundes mit Frontkämpfer-Abzeichen (als Feldspange); 

- ???

- certain aiguillette

z2b.jpg

Edited by Freiwillige

Dear Freiwillige

The second award is the Friedrich-Kreuz from Anhalt, I can't comment on the uniform

Kind regards, Laurentius

Hi,

I wonder if there is a whistle at the end of the cord?

GreyC

11 hours ago, laurentius said:

Dear Freiwillige

The second award is the Friedrich-Kreuz from Anhalt, I can't comment on the uniform

Kind regards, Laurentius

Many thanks, Laurentius!

10 hours ago, GreyC said:

Hi,

I wonder if there is a whistle at the end of the cord?

GreyC

I wouldn't say so, as the lower end of the twisted cord seems to be fastened firmly to the interior portion of the breast pocket button, while the upper one is stitched or attached somehow else to the inner part of the blouse button... Maybe it's a kind of long service or good conduct decoration, something like a Green Aiguillette with Westphalian Horse?

Ah, ok.

Did firefighters of that period have long service stripes? The stripes on the sleeves remind me of the long service stripes of the Red Cross.

GreyC

6 hours ago, Freiwillige said:

Maybe it's a kind of long service or good conduct decoration, something like a Green Aiguillette with Westphalian Horse?

Not the Grune Fangschnur if that's what you mean. That went under the epaulette at the shoulder and under the arm. The knot with the horse and 2 acorns was at the junction of the epaulette and shoulder.

Fangschnur.jpg.6a09ac7413db974e50a75915ac8532ab.jpg

Superb photo. Thanks for posting!

GreyC

8 minutes ago, bolewts58 said:

Not the Grune Fangschnur if that's what you mean. That went under the epaulette at the shoulder and under the arm. The knot with the horse and 2 acorns was at the junction of the epaulette and shoulder.

Sure I know that is not  Green Aiguillette with Westphalian Horse!!! I just mentioned it as an example of award lanyardsthat did exist then...

5 minutes ago, Freiwillige said:

Sure I know that is not  Green Aiguillette with Westphalian Horse!!! I just mentioned it as an example of award lanyardsthat did exist then...

Yes, but to my knowledge most of them were worn on the other side, were they not?

GreyC