News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian/British WWII great coat

Hello,

This great coat belongs to a mate but as I have very little knowledge about WWII uniforms I'm hoping someone here can help me.

Would have been used by the Free Belgians during WWII, the Belgian army in the 1950s or is it just a Brit great coat that someone has sewn Belgian buttons on? I'm assuming the buttons are Belgian.

My mate wants to move it on and would like to know exactly what he has before doing so.

Thanks for any advice.

DSC_1477.JPG

DSC_1478.JPG

DSC_1479.JPG

DSC_1481.JPG

Thanks for the prompt reply Kris.

I don't have the coat and didn't look at the back of the buttons either, I'll have to ask. I actually thought the buttons may have been British until searching online. 

Is there any way of dating the buttons to WWII? Or could they be either 1940s or 1950s?

Hey Tony,

having the outer circle they look more like WWI buttons, but the lion is quiet different of the lion's I have on buttons. So my guess is they are British made....

The bunker is a mess at the moment, not able to check it ....

No worries mate, give me the address and I’ll tidy up for you. ?

It’d be interesting if they are Brit made, if so perhaps for the army after liberation. Still waiting for him to get back to me about anything on the back.

Yeah, I think it would've made it more interesting to say it was Free Belgian issue. 

Next time I'm round his place I'll check the buttons myself, just in case he missed something.

Do you know how soon after liberation the Belgian army changed back to their own style of uniform?