News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Lt. Otto Brauneck - Flying Ace - Awards

I have been asked by a friend who is related to Otto Brauneck to find out what awards he had.  He plans to assemble a shadow box for his young son with the aviator's awards (replicas, of course) and a model of the Albatross the Leutnant was flying when he was shot down.  All I could find was the EKII, the Hohenzollern medal and an EKI.  Are these his only awards - no Ottoman "hardware?"

Many thanks for your help.

Bummel

Very interesting, Brauneck was a good friend in Macedonia of Robert Strey in FFA69, some of whose estate I have. Since Brauneck served in the Balkans he would surely have been awarded a Bulgarian Military Merit Cross before being transferred to Jasta 11. I would suggest doing a search of Brauneck over at The Aerodrome Forum, a member there has an interesting silver Becher from Brauneck.

The photo of the medals and documents is interesting.  I wonder if they are all his - like the Kriegshilfe medal.  The EKI and II are there, as is the Hohenzollern.  There is a smaller medal on the parade bar bracket.  Too bad the Soldbuch is closed!  I think the family took the stuff with them when they ceremonies were over.

I agree with Alex about the goblet attributed to Brauneck, it looks like something that might have come out of an eastern European faker's workshop. The owner did not supply detailed photos on it to make a conclusive judgement. Regarding that interesting photo, Brauneck would not have been entitled to an RAO4 or a Kreuz fuer Kriegshilfe, but the others look promising.

Edited by VtwinVince

Yes, the Red Eagle - I forgot to mention that one - there's no indication he received that one either.  Can you think of any sites that might indicate an Ottoman award - the Iron Crescent of the Gallipoli Star perhaps?

Edited by Berlinerbummel