News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

AK/pic RIR 219 Major with "funny" IC1st class

Here we have another pic of my collection:

It seems to be the commander of the II. Bat. RIR 219

He wears his IC2nd class as a 1st class. - never seen. (only in WW2)

And i have a question:

I cannot find a Major Vatke - Falke, Watke .......

On his Feldspange - ribbon bar he wears IC2nd class (may be for 1870/71) - ...... - RAO , i think LSC25 and ........

Can anybody help to ID that guy. - Yes, i know i am asking a lot - sorry for that !

zähringer 39.jpg

Edited by ixhs

I am 99% certain it is Albert Fatken (*25.02.1869 in Brandenburg a.H.).  I beleive that whoever wrote his name used a phonetic spelling, minus the "n" at the end.

In the Militärwochenblatt for 1916, Spalte 2132, I found the following which led me to him in the IR 17 Stammliste

"Fatken, Maj. z.D., zuletzt im Inf. R. 17, jetzt Batls. Kom. im Res. Inf. R. Nr. 219, ein Patent seines Dienstgrades verliehen"

just a few days later, on 22.05.1916 he was "k.z. Dienstleistung als Distrikts Offiz. d. 1. Gend. Brig."  Sometime later he was transferred to that Gend. Brig.

He spent his entire career in IR 17- he entered the army on 01.04.1890 and retired on 18.11.1911

Andy

• 3 weeks later...

Heinrich Max Albert Viktor. In the 1920 Berlin marriage register, he is identified as an Oberstleutnant a.D. and Landjägerrat. I assume the OTL was a Charakter promotion. 

He received the Lippe Kriegsverdienstkreuz on 18.9.1915 as a Maj.z.D. and Kdr. II./RIR 219.  On his receipt for the LK, dated 8.10.1915, he identifies his other awards as the EK1, the Centenary Medal, the Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit" and the Austro-Hungarian Militärverdienstkreuz 3.Klasse mit der Kriegsdekoration 3.Klasse. 

As you can see in your picture, both the Centenary and the LK have the dark color which certain light-colored ribbons take in black-and-white photos. Yellow, white and red are about the same shade in the photo.

He listed his residence as Burgsteinfurt in the LK receipt, but the Berlin register has him living in Berlin-Wilmersdorf in 1920. The 1. Gendarmerie-Brigade was in East Prussia, so I assume he was somewhere there from 1916 to 1918.