News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bars ID of Konteradmiral z.V. Ernst Hintzmann

Can someone please help me ID the awards from Hintzmann's ribbon bars?

Here is the list of his awards I have:

-Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern (27. 10. 1917)
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) I. Klasse 
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) II. Klasse
    -Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden IV. Klasse mit der Krone
    -Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897
    -Kaiserlich Türkischer Osmanje-Orden IV. Klasse
    -Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz II. Klasse
    -Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer    
    -Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung IV. bis II. Klasse
    -Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) II. Klasse mit Schwertern

1st ribbon bar: (I can see 8 ribbons, or is it 7?)

- Eisernes Kreuz (1914) II. Klasse
    - Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern
    - Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz II. Klasse ???
    - ???
    - Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897 ???
    - Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer ???
    - Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden IV. Klasse mit der Krone ???
    - Kaiserlich Türkischer Osmanje-Orden IV. Klasse or Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz ??? (since the foreign awards were always mounted at the end, perhaps it's the Osmanje-Orden)

2nd ribbon bar:

- Eisernes Kreuz (1914) II. Klasse

- Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern

- ???

- ???

- ???

- ??? (with a Swords device)

- Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden IV. Klasse mit der Krone ???

- Kaiserlich Türkischer Osmanje-Orden IV. Klasse or Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz ???

I will also include the full photos at the bottom.

Thanks

Hintzmann.png

28722090_1861524577193624_1885829802_n.jpg.03c53581506c0ee19e9fd4100bdbe8e3.jpg

Clo8ROiUoAAqC6I.jpg

Hintzmann, Ernst - Konteradmiral.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hintzmann did not have the Centenary Medal. He was in the Crew of 1897, entering service in April 1897, too late for the Centenary Medal which was awarded on 22 April 1897.

The first three ribbons, as you guessed, are the EK2, HOH3X and MMV2. The last two are the Red Eagle with the barely visible Crown device and the Osmanieh. You're right that the foreign award is last. War awards precede peacetime awards, so the ribbon before the Red Eagle with swords is his Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.

That leaves the two ribbons between the Mecklenburg award and the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.  They are war awards but are not in the 1918 rank list, so they must have been awarded after that list was published. Most likely, based on their appearance, they are the Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit" and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, but I cannot say for certain. 

2 hours ago, Dave Danner said:

Hintzmann did not have the Centenary Medal. He was in the Crew of 1897, entering service in April 1897, too late for the Centenary Medal which was awarded on 22 April 1897.

The first three ribbons, as you guessed, are the EK2, HOH3X and MMV2. The last two are the Red Eagle with the barely visible Crown device and the Osmanieh. You're right that the foreign award is last. War awards precede peacetime awards, so the ribbon before the Red Eagle with swords is his Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.

That leaves the two ribbons between the Mecklenburg award and the Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer.  They are war awards but are not in the 1918 rank list, so they must have been awarded after that list was published. Most likely, based on their appearance, they are the Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit" and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz, but I cannot say for certain. 

Over on the Axis History forum, you said before he was also awarded the 1. Class of the Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz. Was that an error? Or do you have some other source? Because only the 2. Class is listed in the 1918 Rangliste. And I can't see he is wearing the 1. Class on any of the photos?

Thanks

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

I have his name from one of my colleagues in Mecklenburg who has gone through the rolls.

Remember that the 1918 rank list was as of 14 February 1918. So that is nine months' worth of awards between then and the end of the war. And Mecklenburg-Schwerin continued to process awards until about 1924. Oldenburg was another state which continued to process awards into the 1920s. Since both of these are maritime states, that means that there may be lots of navy awards that do not show up in the rank list. I am not sure about Hamburg, but I think it is likely they also processed awards after November 1918.

Also, for many officers, the information in the rank list was not current as of 14 February 1918. For example, Lt.z.S. Heinrich Fabig received the Schwarzburg Ehrenkreuz 3.Klasse mit Schwertern on 30 November 1917, but is only shown with the EK2 in the rank list. Bruno Mahn received his Ehrenkreuz even earlier, on 28 March 1917, but is only shown with the EK1. Hermann Rohne received the Anhalt Friedrichkreuz on 26 March 1917, and is also only shown with the EK1.

The later Konteradmiral Clamor von Trotha received the Anhalt Friedrichkreuz on 6 May 1918. Of course, that award does not show up in the 1918 rank list, but it is also missing in the 1922 and 1925 editions.

• 4 months later...
    On 21/02/2019 at 15:02, Dave Danner said:

Dave, I managed to find this photo of Hintzmann on which he is wearing his medal bar. I know it's not the best quality, but are you perhaps able to ID the medals? Or at least confirm the Hesse Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen "Für Tapferkeit" and the Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz by looking at the position of the medals. Also, see if there are any additional awards, for example the last two round medals?

Also, the MMV1 is confirmed by this photo.

8.jpg

I'd say #5 is indeed likely a Hamburg Hanseatenkreuz. I am not sure about #4. It appears to be a cross, not a medal, and bronze-ish in color, so not the Hessen Allgemeines Ehrenzeichen. Maybe Braunschweig's Kriegsverdienstkreuz, but that's just a guess. No idea about the last two.

Thank you Dave!

Is it possible the last 2 round medals could be any of these 3: ?

- Österreichische Kriegs-Erinnerungs-Medaille
    - Königlich Ungarische Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille 
    - Königlich Bulgarische Kriegserinnerungsmedaille 1915/1918

And it would seem he didn't mount his Osmanje-Orden IV. Klasse on this photo?

I also noticed the lack of the Ottoman order. I have no idea why it's not there.

If the photo / medal bar are post-Anschluß in 1938, an Austrian Kriegs-Erinnerungs-Medaille would be placed ahead of the Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnungen. I would agree that the Hungarian and Bulgarian medals seem likely, but the picture is not clear enough to tell.

• 3 years later...
    On 09/07/2019 at 05:36, Dave Danner said:

I also noticed the lack of the Ottoman order. I have no idea why it's not there.

If the photo / medal bar are post-Anschluß in 1938, an Austrian Kriegs-Erinnerungs-Medaille would be placed ahead of the Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnungen. I would agree that the Hungarian and Bulgarian medals seem likely, but the picture is not clear enough to tell.

I actually managed to buy this photo of Hintzmann with the medal bar. It was taken on 13 August 1939 in Dresden.

Does this close-up perhaps help you confirm the guesses you made earlier? I don't have the best scanner, and this is the best resolution I can get for now.

#1: Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse

#2: Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern

#3: Großherzoglich Mecklenburg-Schwerinsches Militärverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse

#4: ??? (your guess was Herzoglich Braunschweigisches Kriegsverdienstkreuz 2. Klasse; another option could be the Großherzoglich Oldenburgisches Friedrich August-Kreuz 2. Klasse)

#5: ??? (your guess was Hamburgisches Hanseatenkreuz, can you perhaps confirm it?)

#6: Ehrenkreuz des Weltkrieges 1914/1918 mit Schwertern für Frontkämpfer

#7: Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 4. Klasse mit der Krone

#8: Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 1. Klasse

#9: Wehrmacht Dienstauszeichnung 3. Klasse

#10: ??? (perhaps Königlich Ungarische Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille mit Schwertern?)

#11: ??? (perhaps Königlich Bulgarische Kriegserinnerungsmedaille 1915/1918 mit Schwertern?)

Since you said the Österreichische Kriegs-Erinnerungs-Medaille would have been mounted before the WHDA, it's not an option for the last two medals. And I think, when looking at the ribbons of the last two medals, it can't be the Sudetenland or Anschluss Medals either?

Hintzmann.png

Based on the size of the cross, I'd say Oldenburg is more likely than Braunschweig.

Not enough detail to confirm Hamburg.

Honestly, the detail is fuzzy, but that looks like three overlapping medals at the end. Too fuzzy to be certain, or to tell which medals they are.

Thank you Dave.

I see how you might think there are three overlapping medals at the end.

But I actually think the second to last medal could be the Ungarische Weltkriegs-Erinnerungsmedaille and barely visible is the coat of arms of Hungary that appears in the middle of the obverse. It appears the middle of the medal is thicker than the outer part. Just my observation.

On 03/11/2022 at 16:07, Dave Danner said:

Based on the size of the cross, I'd say Oldenburg is more likely than Braunschweig.

Not enough detail to confirm Hamburg.

Honestly, the detail is fuzzy, but that looks like three overlapping medals at the end. Too fuzzy to be certain, or to tell which medals they are.

Yes i am sure, that this is Oldenburg from the size and details.

Greetings