News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals to Gwynedd Police..............

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say that Police LSGC's are pretty common and it's frustrating that they don't have the Bobbies force engraved on the rim.

So when you get one with it's box or paperwork it adds to the allure?

A few years back I manage to add just such an example to my collection. I'm not aware of any interesting or indeed famous cases that this chap might have been involved in. He clearly served during WW2 and I'm in no doubt that he did his bit as North Wales took a lot of bombs meant for Liverpool. It's also of interest that Prestatyn in North Wales was the only place in the UK to be bombed by the Regia Aeronautica.

Anyway I digress the point I'm trying to make is that this chaps LSGC on the face of it is nothing exciting, however, when it's looked at in a little more detail to me it does become a little more interesting and dare I say it rare.......

PC HUGHES must have joined the in the late 1930's, I have a book about the history of Caernarfon Constabulary were he is listed in a nominal role for the force and I believe he was stationed in Llandudno.

You will note that he has the Gv1R version of the medal and that he lid of the box says Gwynedd Constabulary.

Gwynedd Constabulary wasn't formed until 1950 and E11R became Queen in 1953. Which means that HUGHES medal must have been issued at some point during that 3 year period, I can't imagine there being that many Bobbies who qualified for their LSGC in Gwynedd Constabulary during those three years. I'm not suggesting that HUGHES medal is in anyway more valuable than anyone other Police LSGC, but I would suggest that it could be classed as rarer than your average one to me, anyway.......................

HUGHES 002.png

HUGHES 003.png

HUGHES 001.png

Edited by bigjarofwasps

These medals don't come up very often, so was  delighted to be able to add this medal to my collection. It being the first time it's been on the market, bought from his family. 

Howard Ellis 
    Born circ 1919 Pentrefoelas went to school in Llanrwst. 
    Served WW2 in the Welsh Guards
    Joined the police after the war. 
    His brother Cynwal Ellis was also a PC as was his son Gwynfor Ellis.
    Stationed at.... 
    Llandudno
    Bethel
    Caernarfon 
    Llanuwchllyn.
    Promoted to sergeant in 1957 and served in Penygroes followed by Caernarfon.
    Died whilst still serving in 1970 at the age of 51 of cancer.

It's difficult to make out what they are but he certainly is wearing at least two other medal ribbons on the below picture. I assume they are the 1939-45 Star and War Medal. The Welsh Guards, were at Dunkirk. 

Howard Ellis.jpg

Howard Ellis 002.jpg

Gwynedd Medal 001.jpg

Howard Ellis 001.jpg

Forum resize.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

When the Police Exemplary Service Medal (LS&GC) came into being 1951. All officers serving with the requisite time served (22 Years) got it so if John Hughes joined say 1920'2 and was still serving 1951 then he got the medal. This happened in all forces and Liverpool City Police must have got hit for  hundreds of the awards ( There being over 1000 joining in 1919 alone to bolster ranks after the Strike)

I work on the assumption that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame (I am still waiting for mine) and so had a look at John  Hughes and he may be one and the same as, John HUGHES, born 10:2:1896,  Son of a  Farmer, David and his Wife Jane living on a Farm at Meifod, Llanrhaido, Denbigh. He probably served WWi and joined the Police on demob. I found that he had served on Anglesey during WWII and resided with his Wife Ann Hughes Nee Jones at 23 Well Street, Amlech, Anglesey. Working on my 15 minutes theory he may well have been serving there in the Borough Force  prior to Amalgamation/s and if so  May have been involved in the Arrest/Aftermath of the Murder of PC Pritchard in 1924.

Wishful thinking, maybe, but possible and I can find no other  John Hughes who fits the bill.

Hope of use

Peter

Peter,

Interesting that you should mention the murder of Constable Pritchard of the Anglesey Constabulary. Attached is a photo of his murderer being arrested. The Senior Officer at the back of the group is the Chief Constable of Anglesey, Robert Protheroe. I guess that there can be few occasions when the CC leaves his office to supervise an arrest. That said, the murder of a bobby on the (then) sleepy island of Anglesey must have been an earth shattering event. Of course, in those days the police prosecuted in the lower courts and I'd wager that Mr. Protheroe himself prosecuted at the murderer's first appearance at the Magistrates Court.

Dave.   

Anglesey Nov. 1924 J. Davies arrest..jpg

Edited by Dave Wilkinson

7 hours ago, Deelibob said:

When the Police Exemplary Service Medal (LS&GC) came into being 1951. All officers serving with the requisite time served (22 Years) got it so if John Hughes joined say 1920'2 and was still serving 1951 then he got the medal. This happened in all forces and Liverpool City Police must have got hit for  hundreds of the awards ( There being over 1000 joining in 1919 alone to bolster ranks after the Strike)

I work on the assumption that everyone gets 15 minutes of fame (I am still waiting for mine) and so had a look at John  Hughes and he may be one and the same as, John HUGHES, born 10:2:1896,  Son of a  Farmer, David and his Wife Jane living on a Farm at Meifod, Llanrhaido, Denbigh. He probably served WWi and joined the Police on demob. I found that he had served on Anglesey during WWII and resided with his Wife Ann Hughes Nee Jones at 23 Well Street, Amlech, Anglesey. Working on my 15 minutes theory he may well have been serving there in the Borough Force  prior to Amalgamation/s and if so  May have been involved in the Arrest/Aftermath of the Murder of PC Pritchard in 1924.

Wishful thinking, maybe, but possible and I can find no other  John Hughes who fits the bill.

Hope of use

Peter

Many thanks for this Peter, it is certainly very thought provoking and something I shall certainly took into further!!!!!!

If it is the same John HUGHES, then this is his house on Well Street. 

23 Well Street.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

On 27/02/2019 at 19:19, bigjarofwasps said:

These medals don't come up very often, so was  delighted to be able to add this medal to my collection. It being the first time it's been on the market, bought from his family. 

Howard Ellis 
    Born circ 1919 Pentrefoelas went to school in Llanrwst. 
    Served WW2 in the Welsh Guards
    Joined the police after the war. 
    His brother Cynwal Ellis was also a PC as was his son Gwynfor Ellis.
    Stationed at.... 
    Llandudno
    Bethel
    Caernarfon 
    Llanuwchllyn.
    Promoted to sergeant in 1957 and served in Penygroes followed by Caernarfon.
    Died whilst still serving in 1970 at the age of 51 of cancer.

I have been able to confirm that his other medals are the France & Germany Star & the War Medal, for his service with the Welsh Guards during WW2. 

His collar numbers during his police service were 193 as a Constable & 4 as a Sergeant. 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 6 months later...

Latest addition to my North Wales Police collection. E11R (second type) to Insp Neville YATES.

Neville died in 2018 and his medals first appeared in an auction at a Colwyn Bay auction house in 2019. They commanded a hammer price of £240.

A couple of months later they appeared on Ebay, however the group by this point was missing the 1953 Coronation Medal and the 1977 Medal.

I contacted the seller who informed me that when he'd bought them he had discovered that these two medals were in fact copies, so had taken them out of the group. A quick check of the rolls confirmed that he wasn't entitled to these medals anyway.

A further check confirmed that he wasn't entitled to the WW2 medals either.

I was however able to buy the LSGC and police badges for a very reasonable price.

I have been able to find out a considerable amount of information about this career in Gwynedd Police and later North Wales Police, which I will post on the forum over the coming days, which I hope will be of interest. 

Neville YATES.jpg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 3 weeks later...

This is what I've been able to piece together about Neville YATES.

Neville YATES 
    Born Blaenau Ffestiniog 1935
    Grew up in Bodedern near Holyhead. 
    Went to school Holyhead. 
    Nickname Wsti & Yapper
     National Service - RAF? 
    Collar number 427 and 27
    Rossett early 1960's
    Wrexham 1965 (CID)
    DC Gresford 1967 (Gwynedd Constabulary)
    Sergeant Denbigh mid 1967 on promotion from Wrexham. Lived in police houses on Maes Stanley. (Gwynedd Constabulary) gave Richard Morris's daughter and angora rabbit as a present. 
    Inspector Llangefni late 1970's (Gwynedd Constabulary / North Wales Police)
    Inspector Llangefni between 1973-1976
    Inspector Llandudno eary 1980's North Wales Police)
    Liked the ladies. Was married three times. Married a nurse before moving to Llandudno (third wife)
    ?Retired 1985? 
    Mayor's consert Llandudno
    Mayor Llandudno
    (worked Ops Room Colwyn Bay at some point) Played snooker on nights.
    Lived Penryn Bay
    Walked his West Highland Terrier Hamish on Penryn Beach.
    Daughter called Sandra married Chris Redmayne.
    Died 2018. 

Edited by bigjarofwasps

• 3 months later...

Syliva HULME

Born August 1950 (originally from Kinmel Bay)
    Went to school at Abergele Grammar (Emrys ap Iwan) - photo dated April 1967 
    Police Cadet  17th July 1967 joined Flintshire Constabulary 
    WPC Collar number 52 and then became 1252, when WPC's become PC's.
    Stationed at
    Deeside 1970-72 
    Hawarden 1974 -76 (circ)
    Buckley 1975
    Flint 1983 (circ) 
    Holywell 1983 (circ)
    Mold 1991 (front desk)
    Mold 1996 (retired)
    Prestatyn (Traffic Dept at some point)
    Played on the Force Net Ball Team and was also a Fed Rep and was Narpo treasurer. 
    Lived at 16 Cae Y Dderwen, Greenfield, Holywell. 
    Died 23rd October 2016 aged 69. Assets £905,873. 

Sylvia HULME 1967.jpg

Sylvia HULME HQ identified.jpg

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    On 12/05/2020 at 07:25, bigjarofwasps said:

Latest find, research to follow.....

543A6DDC-3FB3-4E57-80E5-7E64BDC12892.jpeg

82EA7E1A-8366-4DEF-83A3-90AFB195299B.jpeg

CE6C9926-ADD6-4715-B36C-E6332BF8D313.jpeg

John W Pierson

From Holywell (possibly also served in Flintshire Constabulary, certainly would have been in Gwynedd Constabulary)
    Lived in Prestatyn.
    Nick name "The Kraut"
    Love France was always going over there. Possibly married a German women? 
    Collar number 933
    Traffic Sgt in Prestayn at some point
    Traffic Sgt Prestatyn 1960's and early 1970's
    Sgt Rhyl (response) 1973
    Sgt Prestatyn (response 17th July 1978).
    Sgt Rhyl (response) 1980's
    Went to live in France after he retired. 
    Died in a nursing home in Rhyl (had dementia) was in his 90's.

Male officer- he was an odd character. Wouldn't go out on his own or deal with anything and got his hair off if we played snooker without him in refs!
    So many funny tales of his misdoings! I can't remember them all. He had a girlfriend who was a nurse and he was a Francophile. He was always going over there.

Female officer - hauled me back from a Christmas Traffic Do once when I had had a couple of drinks lol as he wanted me to finish typing a DPP file. You know what they were like. It was still on the desk all done after Xmas. I was not amused. Having said all that he used to give me Christmas presents every year.

Male officer (re nick name) involved a ship that came into Mostyn Dock, mainly German crew, they wanted a person who could translate, i think John was summoned to help deal with it. All hearsay .
    "Vot ist your name". 

Male officer - He was a station Sgt when I first moved to Prestatyn. When he was on day shift he would call you back from Prestatyn town centre beat so you could walk with him to his home just further on than the Ffrith Hotel where he was going for his refs. He said if we were stopped by a member of the public you would deal with it. When we arrived at his front door he would radio the station as say he was now on refs.

Female officer - Do you remember when he asked us where Gallt Melyd? How we all kept a straight face I don't know. It was when the town signs had Welsh names as well as the English ones.

Male officer -  I seem to remember John was a pretty hard task master!!

Male officer - JP was a bit of a laughing stock really and not much of a bobby at all. He supervised me for a few years and it was not enjoyable. Poor bloke did not have much idea. Having said that I believe he has dementia and is in a home on the Prom in Rhyl somewhere and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• 7 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 1 month later...

Constable Trevor ROBERTS Denbighshire Constabulary.

Must have joined in the mid 1930’s as his LSGC is the 1st type E11R version (issued 1953-55).

He is one of only 8 Denbighshire Constabulary officers to be awarded the 1953 Coronation Medal.

His service during WW2 qualified him for the Defence Medal.

He is one of three brothers who served within Denbighshire Constabulary, his brothers being Idris & Emlyn.

His nickname was “Automatic” due to the way that he directed traffic. 

He appears in the local press several times, most noticeably on the 17th December 1953, when he rescued two boys aged 8 and 10, who had climbed a 100 foot cliff in the Kneeshaw Lipton line quarry in Llandulas. He also appears on the 11th June 1953, when he is named as one of the officers from Denbighshire Constabulary who is to be awarded the Coronation Medal, he appears to be stationed at Llandulas at this time. On the 22nd February 1945 he is mentioned in an article about his mother, stating that he is a Constable in Colwyn Bay and a member of Denbighshire Constabulary. He is also listed on the roll for the 1953 Coronation Medal. 

D021C174-6BBC-4324-ACC1-D9AC2DBF7B41.jpeg

526EC33E-0C7D-4298-BCF1-9F93A2A7D99F.jpeg

C59B2434-E6B6-4F99-A624-E877959B9C3D.jpeg

21 hours ago, bigjarofwasps said:

Constable Trevor ROBERTS Denbighshire Constabulary.

Must have joined in the mid 1930’s as his LSGC is the 1st type E11R version (issued 1953-55).

He is one of only 8 Denbighshire Constabulary officers to be awarded the 1953 Coronation Medal.

His service during WW2 qualified him for the Defence Medal.

He is one of three brothers who served within Denbighshire Constabulary, his brothers being Idris & Emlyn.

His nickname was “Automatic” due to the way that he directed traffic. 

He appears in the local press several times, most noticeably on the 17th December 1953, when he rescued two boys aged 8 and 10, who had climbed a 100 foot cliff in the Kneeshaw Lipton line quarry in Llandulas. He also appears on the 11th June 1953, when he is named as one of the officers from Denbighshire Constabulary who is to be awarded the Coronation Medal, he appears to be stationed at Llandulas at this time. On the 22nd February 1945 he is mentioned in an article about his mother, stating that he is a Constable in Colwyn Bay and a member of Denbighshire Constabulary. He is also listed on the roll for the 1953 Coronation Medal. 

D021C174-6BBC-4324-ACC1-D9AC2DBF7B41.jpeg

526EC33E-0C7D-4298-BCF1-9F93A2A7D99F.jpeg

C59B2434-E6B6-4F99-A624-E877959B9C3D.jpeg

Some additional information relating to this officer has come to light.

PC 121 Trefor Roberts (Denbighshire Constabulary) passed his Sgts Qualifying Exam on 8/9 Sept 1937; and  transferred from Wrexham to Acrefair on 31 July 1942.

Trefor was at Colwyn Bay in 1945, and was at Llanddulas in 1953 in which year he was awarded the Coronation Medal.

He had also served at Denbigh eventually retiring in the rank of Sergeant.

On 07/01/2022 at 08:53, bigjarofwasps said:

Some additional information relating to this officer has come to light.

PC 121 Trefor Roberts (Denbighshire Constabulary) passed his Sgts Qualifying Exam on 8/9 Sept 1937; and  transferred from Wrexham to Acrefair on 31 July 1942.

Trefor was at Colwyn Bay in 1945, and was at Llanddulas in 1953 in which year he was awarded the Coronation Medal.

He had also served at Denbigh eventually retiring in the rank of Sergeant.

He also appears in the following newspaper articles….

Liverpool Echo Monday 19th September 1932, he is mentioned in a story about a male called Hughes from 25 St John Street, Wrexham who was so objectionable while drunk, that Constable Trevor Roberts had no choice but to take him in charge. Hughes then hit the Constable on the leg causing a bruise.

Liverpool Echo Monday 11th September 1939, he is mentioned in a story about a male arrested for being drunk and disorderly in Wrexham. He is further charged with assaulting Constable Trevor Roberts, by violently kicking him with hobnail boots causing considerable injuries to both the officers legs.

Liverpool Echo Monday 24th June 1940, he is mentioned in a story where in he attends a house in Newton Hurst that was floodlit. 

Flint County Herald, Friday 28th June 1940, Constable Trevor Roberts is mentioned in an article about a visit to a house by the ministry of food. Headline being Hens,Pigs and Rabbits maybe kept by householders.

• 2 years later...

Constable 259 William Evans Gwynedd Constabulary and North Wales Police. 

William Evans (native of Bethesda). Joined up in 1954. Following service in WW2 with the Royal Signals. 

He was stationed in Llandudno and Trefriw before being posted to Aberdaron, in 1964.

He qualified for his LSGC in 1976. 

He also received the 1977 Silver Jubilee Medal.

In 1980 he was awarded the BEM on the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.

Retiring in 1980. 

His contemporaries remember him well. He was certainly a well known and respected Bobby.

Several regale their memories below. 

He worked discretionary to the end. To quote Will "I know when my village needs policing"

A man worthy of the many stories written here. Stories about him take a number of pages in my book, 'Pleserau'r Plismon'. What a man and what a character. So pleased to have known him.

Will Aberdaron. Yes he retired 1980. I had just started in Pwllheli and Mabel, the secretary, got me to sign his card even though I had never met him (she insisted!) After he retired, he moved to Pwllheli itself and he would often stop and have a quick natter if he saw me on the beat. He was very well respected and the tales were legendary! I remember going to Leicester on prisoner escort and a Sgt there asked if Will was still there as he'd seen him there over the years.

Never Mind about The Law , Will set The Rules In Aberdaron .

My wife remembers ‘Mr Ifans Plisman ‘in Trefriw. The children were in awe of him .. probably because of his stature!

His daughter Diane stayed in Trefriw.

Yes an absolute legend. So nice to read colleagues memories of Will and a world of policing that has sadly been long consigned to history but which so many of us recall fondly.

I well remember a member of the public phoning in that Will needed assistance with a bunch of Hells Angels. When we got there Will wanted to know why we were there and that the motor bikers had left. Found out later that at least 1 if not 2 had been wading in the river. He was a very big imposing man.

'Wil Aberdaron' as he was known, was the Village Bobby in Aberdaron for many, many years. I was posted there in 1984, a few years after he retired. It was an almost impossible task, as anything you did was compared to how Will would have done it, (not always by the rules may I add!). He was certainly a legend.

Some of the tales can’t be repeated on here in this day and age of his administration of justice.

The station had a very large garden, and I started to level it and make it more child friendly. I borrowed a JCB but hit something in the middle of the garden. Will had been burying unexploded shells washed up on nearby beaches.

Bomb Squad spent a full day with us.

Will administered old fashioned Justice, he was highly respected by all, and had a local knowledge which made modern Intel systems rubbish as they were never geared for rural policing.

Everyone in the area had total respect for him, and no one including myself, Gwyndaf, or Geraint would ever fill his giant boots.

About Aberdaron - 

Crossville bus was the manner of mail delivery. Some 16 miles from nearest outstation, no allocated vehicle, (except Will’s bike), and no radio contact. If Pwllheli wished to contact him, they rang Eleri Stores (behind Will in the photo), who would be asked-

1. Had they seen him.

2. When had they last see him.

3. If they saw him again - ask him to ring back!

IMG_1647.jpeg

IMG_1648.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1651.jpeg

IMG_1652.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1411.jpeg

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1255.jpeg

Edited by bigjarofwasps

Village bobbies are something else. I remember ours, in St Fagans outside Cardiff in South Wales. He was a keen motorcyclist and his front room was always bestrewn with bike parts and items of police uniform... he was much happier in a t-shirt than what he ought to have been wearing on duty! The station was next door to the villiage pub and the landlord always knew when it was safe to have a lock-in as he'd finish his pint and leave about 10 minutes before Time. If he stayed to drink up, the pub closed on time.

Being a law-abiding brat, I only once had to deal with him officially, when I witnessed an RTC and he was tasked with getting a formal statement. I trundled round to give it, in that front room full of bike parts and odd bits of uniform and him in his t-shirt...  

Thank you for sharing the story of this fine giant of an officer.