Gentleman's Military Interest Club

Hello, does anyone know what this award (circled red) is? The man is Konteradmiral Clamor von Trotha.

I think it is the Kriegsverdienstkreuz (1939) I. Klasse mit Schwertern, but other people I asked are not sure. So I'm seeking for a 2nd opinion.

I think it doesn't make sense it's a foreign award. The shape and look fits with the KVK1, only the Swords are not visible, but that may be because of the photo.

Looking at his ribbon bar, this is my ID of the ribbons:

- EK II
- KVK2x
- Anhalt Friedrich Kreuz
- Ehrenkreuz fur Frontkampfer
- Wehrmacht DA

If my ID of the ribbon bar is correct, I think the KVK1x is most probable.

Please share your opinions.

Untitled7.png

Dear Kriegsmarine Admiral,

looking at the award in the picture I believe this award to be the Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir.

Kind regards, Laurentius

1 hour ago, laurentius said:

looking at the award in the picture I believe this award to be the Croatian Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir.

Kind regards, Laurentius

To me it makes no sense it's the Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir. And it doesn't look like it. That Order had only Stars for the 1st Class and the Grand Cross. And these were larger than the one on the photo.

This is the version I believe that the Konteradmiral is wearing, although in your picture without swords. It's only a tiny bit bigger than a regular EK1

image.jpeg.da0dadc3eecffd5318efcade47ff590c.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Nothing immediately comes to mind for me. The date for his Friedrichkreuz, by the way, is 6.5.1918.

Edited by Dave Danner

Purely a conjecture based on a vague photograph but it might be a breast star to the order of St. Olaf.

On 01/03/2019 at 13:48, laurentius said:

Kind regards, Laurentius

+1

After spending some time with the photos and looking for a similar and possible award I would also say that he's wearing the Order of the Crown of King Zvonimir 2nd class breast Cross with Swords. 

Imo the KVK2 aren't possible - you can see the high Medaillon with attached swords that only matches with the King Zvonimir. 

H0579-L38858763.jpg

Aside from the badge in the pic having tapered arms, where would he qualify for a Croatian medal introduced in May 1941 being posted in Wilhelmshaven and  later Norway (1943) until 1945?

Posted (edited)

The apparent cross arm size and placement may suggest Zvonimir and the piece seems to be white enamel.  However,  I do not see the stylized twist design on cross arms Zvonimir badges display and the center seems too large [extends to edge of cross arm divergence].    Further, Matthew mentioned the cross arm taper which does not conform to Zvonimir format.

Did von Trotha have a Bulgarian connection?  Size of the center, cross arm taper, apparent sword blade between cross arms plus glint shape in center reminds me of Bulgarian Military Bravery Order 3rd class, lst grade. 

Edited by 922F
spelchek

On 06/03/2019 at 05:17, 922F said:

The apparent cross arm size and placement may suggest Zvonimir and the piece seems to be white enamel.  However,  I do not see the stylized twist design on cross arms Zvonimir badges display and the center seems too large [extends to edge of cross arm divergence].    Further, Matthew mentioned the cross arm taper which does not conform to Zvonimir format.

Did von Trotha have a Bulgarian connection?  Size of the center, cross arm taper, apparent sword blade between cross arms plus glint shape in center reminds me of Bulgarian Military Bravery Order 3rd class, lst grade. 

No known Bulgarian connections. 

So you don't think it's the War Merit Cross 1st Class with Swords?

I can't see it being the Zvonimir Order. But that's just my opinion, maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by Kriegsmarine Admiral

KVK1x might be most probable but center disk seems very pronounced and thicker than most KVK1s.  What about simple KVK 1 [no swords]?  Unlikely for an Admiral.....

I tend to think that it's not a Zvonimir for reasons outlined above.