News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribon bar with Zahringer Swords and Oakleaves, opinions needed

Hi all,

Any thoughts on this ribbon bar?

Construction wise; it's a half eight style bar
    with brass backing and no device holes. The order of precedence of the ribbons
    is odd; eastern front medal after the long service medal and the Bulgarian medal
    in between the two Romanian medals...

Regards,

Pieter

66A.jpg

66B.jpg

66C.jpg

Edited by drspeck

Dear Scottplen,

the ost-medaille is not a combat-award. It only requires one to have spend atleast so much time (depending on your occupation) in Russia during 1941-1942. Although this award officially comes fifth in the precedence it was often worn behind the Hindenburgcross (FEK, which was placed 25nd in the precedence). Rick Lundstrom already noted this when he was writing about the final order of precedence for awards which were put in place around 1942, when the Ost-medaille had just been instated. 

Although I am personally not so sure of the bar (it gives me bad feelings in my belly, a bad sign for a collector) I do not necessarily see something wrong with the order of precedence of this ribbonbar. First we have German decorations for bravery (EK, KVK, ZL) followed by German commemoration and long service awards (FEK, TD, Ost) after that come the foreign decorations for bravery.

Kind regards, Laurentius