News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gold Romanian Order of CRown cmdr perhaps?

I have recently bought at the SOS show a Romanian order of the crown, type II, commander. It weighs an ounce, or about 32 grams. It is very very detailed and immaculately made. I wonder if it was made by a jeweler. If it IS gilded, it has no wear whatsoever on the gilding. On the suspension ring it carries these  hallmarks: 750 DW -- OR 150 DW (the hallmark runs off of the rin top edge), and on another part, 38 (for the year 1938 most likely) and something that looks like a crown hallmark. I know people say the Kingdom of Romania orders were not of gold but could this particular specimen be?? 

20190223_205240.jpg

20190223_205143.jpg

20190223_205204.jpg

No, it's silver gilt. 

750 silver wasn't uncommon in Romania at that time. 

The crown is the silver hallmark. Letter below the crown indicates city of manufacture, number of notches the actual composition. 

It's also too light to be gold. I don't have the weight for the commander's cross, but the grand cross weighs approx 36gr, bit over an ounce and is +1cm in diameter. Gold should be nearly twice as heavy. 

Good to know,  other countries in Europe participated as well with that number in silver-gilt?   Usually it is common to see gold stamped 750 in Europe for us it would be 18k and 585 for lower grade. Thanks

Thanks, regarding the weight, remember that the Type II badges in all classes were made smaller than the Romanian crown type Is, so please factor that in as well. It is SMALL relatively speaking to weigh an ounce.

• 2 weeks later...
    • 4 weeks later...