News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Militaria 'Must Sees' & shops in Paris

Jaybo

Hello,

I have only been to Paris once (2003) and did see the Musee de l'Armee but not the Palais de Legion d'honneur (which I still must do).  I was wondering what other military related sites are' must sees'. Also, can anyone point out what militaria dealers in Paris are also to be visited? I'm especially interested in medals and 18th-19th century militaria. Are the 2 large flea markets worth searching for such militaria? Merci!

Jay

Try the Palais Royale with several retail establishments and Le Louvre des Antiquaires where you will find a few shops as well, both near the Louvre Museum.  Relatively high prices--shops in Palais Royale sometimes have old ribbon stock.  Your flea market success is hard to determine both in terms of what you may [or not] find and prices.  I'd visit the Marché aux Puces de  St Ouen (early Saturday), Porte de Montreuil (7 AM Saturday) and often overlooked Porte de Vanves (7 AM Saturday or Sunday).   There were a couple of shops along Rue de l'Universite but don't know whether they're really worthwhile.  Some of les bouquinistes who have stands along the Seine have medals and both Arthus-Bertrand [6 place Saint-Germain des Prés, Paris,  75006] and the  Monnaie de Paris sell current production items.   Metro and public bus links make all of these relatively easy to get to and traverse among.  Be sure to wear comfortable shoes, and pay in cash for best prices at flea markets.  Upscale shops, Bertrand and the Monnaie generally do not bargain but it never hurts to ask.   

If you have time, visit the Hôtel des ventes Drouot [9, rue Drouot 75009 Paris] which offers both estate and specialized collectable item auctions. 

Ask people who you meet at such places whether they know of any other shops or the sometimes hard to access collectors' meetings.    Opportunity awaits!

Member 922F, said it all! 

There is a medal auction coming up at  Drouot, managed by Beaussant-Lefevre on 26 march at 13.30h.

And when visiting the flea market of St- Ouen, drop by at La Strasbourgeoise for a lovely choucroute in a very nice 1900 interior, in front of the Gare de l'Est.

On 14/03/2019 at 07:18, Stuka f said:

Member 922F, said it all! 

There is a medal auction coming up at  Drouot, managed by Beaussant-Lefevre on 26 march at 13.30h.

And when visiting the flea market of St- Ouen, drop by at La Strasbourgeoise for a lovely choucroute in a very nice 1900 interior, in front of the Gare de l'Est.

Thanks for the Alsatian restaurant suggestion. It sounds like  great way to spend a day.