News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi everyone

I recently bought a copy of a George Cross and bought a Victoria Cross at an online auction. My question is: is the George Cross (as more of a civilian award to my knowledge) displayed right after the Victoria Cross and before any other medals?

Wessel Gordon

1 hour ago, Wessel Gordon said:

Hi everyone

I recently bought a copy of a George Cross and bought a Victoria Cross at an online auction. My question is: is the George Cross (as more of a civilian award to my knowledge) displayed right after the Victoria Cross and before any other medals?

Wessel Gordon

Yes it comes after the VC. Although it's an equal medal, I suspect it comes second because it's a newer award. 

The VC and GC come before any Order or Decoration. They are awarded for equal valour. The first for supreme bravery in military action. The Second is for supreme bravery in all other fields. The VC takes precedent over the GC due to the earlier date of foundation. Prior to the establishment  of the GC the Albert Medal in gold took second precedent.

Paul

Ps

The GC is awarded to both military and civilian personnel. Military awards are for non combattative bravery such as bomb disposal or life saving

32 minutes ago, paul wood said:

The VC and GC come before any Order or Decoration. They are awarded for equal valour. The first for supreme bravery in military action. The Second is for supreme bravery in all other fields. The VC takes precedent over the GC due to the earlier date of foundation. Prior to the establishment  of the GC the Albert Medal in gold took second precedent.

Paul

Ps

The GC is awarded to both military and civilian personnel. Military awards are for non combattative bravery such as bomb disposal or life saving

Has anyone ever won them both? 

Paul & Bigjarofwasps

Thanks for the replies. Good point in the last reply: I can't find any reference to a single soldier being awarded both the VC and GC. 

I was thinking in terms of display in order of preference and forgot to make that clear in my original post, sorry about that.

No nobody has ever won both. While there have been 3 bars to the VC. Martin leake, Chevasse, whose brother was my local vicar and ardent pig farmer who on several occasions  officiated at services with pig manure bedaubed wellies and Upham. 2 bars WW1, other WW2, there is yet to be a second award of the GC.

Paul