News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Polish T34 (Post war)

Help needed!
    I'm trying to identify the model/variant of this T34 as part of a model project which I would like to get as true to the photo as possible. Much searching of the internet hasn't helped and I'd rather avoid spending £15+ on a book which may not even contain the info I need!
    Identifying features;
    1. There is a short upright metal plate attached to the front hull (above the spare track)which stretches from fender to fender and the driver is resting his arm on.
    2. Square fenders at the front as opposed to rounded
    3. Appears the cupola doors (far side of turret), open to the left and right of the turret as opposed to front and back
    I would also like to correctly identify the model of the wheels, tracks and the main gun.
    I would be grateful if anyone has any info as to what other markings (if any) would be on a Polish T34 apart from the eagle and numbers (902?) which are visible on the turret
    This photo was taken some time after 1953

polish t34.JPG

Edited by Johnnyv321

• 2 months later...

Here is the splash board, mud guards, wheel and track type (waffle design) on a GDR T34/85.

These details are exactly the same as on the the Polish version you have shown. Under licence, production was restarted in Poland between 1951 to 1955. 1,380 T-34-85s were made. Your Photo is either a late war Soviet version or the Polish T-34/85-M1.

Ill try and find some more info for you.

Regards Eddie

T34 det.jpg

T34 det1.jpg

Edited by Taz
    added text

Looking at the  gun mantlet in the photo would suggest that by its design this tank would be using the 85mm ZiS-S-53 main Gun. The second photo shows the D-5T type.

Regards Eddie

Zis.jpg

D5t.jpg

Edited by Taz

Thanks a lot for your help with this Eddie.

What exactly is that piece that I tried to describe in point 1 of my original post? I did buy a book on T34's and although I found pictures of it on some models I never found any reference to what it was called, what it was made of (some look wooden/some metal), or what it did.

I have seen similar on other later model soviet tanks but again no mention of what it did...

7 hours ago, Johnnyv321 said:

Thanks a lot for your help with this Eddie.

What exactly is that piece that I tried to describe in point 1 of my original post? I did buy a book on T34's and although I found pictures of it on some models I never found any reference to what it was called, what it was made of (some look wooden/some metal), or what it did.

I have seen similar on other later model soviet tanks but again no mention of what it did...

It is a splash board to stop the driver getting sprayed with water and mud when driving with the hatch open. Can be wood or metal but almost always made of wood from images that i have seen.

About markings. I think the only official ones are the eagle and number plus the Polish red and white chequered diamond (see photo below) . On the web the named ones are mostly tv series or film tanks.

The cupola is a strange one in so far as i have seen T34-76 cupolas with two small hatches that open outwards as did some of the T34 -85 D-5T variations. I imagine the inner cupola ring can be turned to face however you want it to, the photo shows an offset Polish T34-85M2 inner cupola ring just as an example.

Regards Eddie

m2.jpg

Edited by Taz

I think it's going to be a long job - sadly for me there's no kit with all the variations I need so I'm going to have to buy a couple of kits, some after market parts and come up with a bit of a hybrid! If it turns out ok I'll post a photo when it's done - if not I'll stay quiet!