News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Gents,

I wonder why, apparently, Württemberg's orders and medals are the least researched among awards from 5 strongest Imperial German states. As far as I know, there's even no book about the Military Merit Order (Militärverdienstorden). What is the reason? Maybe incomplete archives? If so, why are they incomplete? War damage?

Cheers,

Albert

Edited by AlbertR

Hello Albert,

Actually there are a few superb books regarding Württemberg's orders and medals.  I highly recommend: Klein, Ulrich und Raff, Albert. Die Württembergischen Medaillen von 1797-1864 (einschließlich der Orden und Ehrenzeichen). Verlag der Münzen- und Medaillenhandlung. Stuttgart, 2003.  There is also a second volume which covers the period from 1864 - 1933.  In addition, these authors have covered the history of Württemberg coins in various other books that they have written.

Best regards,

Thank you very much for the reply!

I knew about existence of these two books, but I had doubts whether they are what I’m searching for, and they are quite expensive.  After your recommendation I’ll give them a second thought ?

I’m mainly interested in WW1 orders and decorations - do I need both volumes or only the second will be enough?

I still think that a lack of book about Military Merit Order, containing a list of all recipients, means that Wuerttemberg is the least researched from 5 strongest Imperial German states. There are books about most prestigeous orders from Prussia, Bavaria, Saxony and Baden...

Very best regards,

Albert

Hello Albert,

If you are interested in WW1-era Württemberg orders and decorations, then the Klein, Ulrich und Raff second volume would be the one for you.  You are correct about the price, the book is rather expensive.  It is beautifully published however.

I see your point about there being no book listing Württemberg MVO recipients.  If I recall correctly, I believe that there may be a book listing the gold bravery medal recipients however.

There is also the book by Neal O'Connor: Aviation Awards of Imperial Germany in World War I and the Men Who Earned Them, Volume IV (which covers Württemberg).  It is a nicely done book and is available usually at a modest price.

Best regards,

Thanks once again for the reply!

I do have all seven volumes of Neal W. O’Connor’s masterpiece. In fact my interest in WW1 German orders and decorations started after I bought these books. They are simply wonderful.

I decided to buy Klein’s and Raff’s second volume - thank you for your recommendation! Do you know other good books about WW1 Wuerttemberg orders and decorations?

Very best regards,

Albert

Hello again Albert,

I don't think that you will be disappointed with the Klein, Ulrich, and Raff book.  Let me know what you think when you receive it.  Here is the book that lists Württemberg golden MVM recipients:

"Mayer, Albert:

Ehrenbuch der Württembergischen Goldenen Militär-Verdienst-Medaille, nach dem Stand vom 1.Januar 1959." 

I have seen it available for €180 or less.  There are not that many other books out there that I can think of.  Auction catalogues would also be a good source for information regarding Württemberg awards.  Look at Uwe Bretzendorfer's website also.

Best regards, 

In the Ehrenbuch you only can find recipients of the GMMM and only those guys who were members of that re founded "club" in around 1957. I have had 5 pieces of the Ehrenbuch and sold 2 of them in the past. Its hard to find a numbered piece of them with certificate in it and signed by Albert Mayer.

A good book with the recipients of the MMO is the Moser book in its version around 1936. (Christian Belser Verlag, Stuttgart)

I.m.o not all versions does include this list. You can find it for may be 50 or more EUR.

I am writing on an article about the GMMM. Its not finished yet, but i have more than 100 pages about it, with a lot of photos.

Uwes shop is down. He had an accident and now he is on holidays.

I do not know, if he will open it again.

Edited by ixhs

Schießplatzmeister and ixhs - many thanks!

Great that, contrary to what I thought before, there is a book with the list of recipients of MMO, and it's quite cheap. I'll buy it soon!

ixhs - please let us know when your article about GMMM is published!

If anyone has anything to add, especially about other books on Württemberg orders and decorations, please do so!

sometimes you can find "Moser" at ebay.de - but bevor you buy it - ask the seller if the names are inside.

(The names of the GMMM recipients (nearly all names)  is also included)

13 minutes ago, ixhs said:

sometimes you can find "Moser" at ebay.de - but bevor you buy it - ask the seller if the names are inside.

(The names of the GMMM recipients (nearly all names)  is also included)

Thanks again! Looks like there were three editions. The 1st from 1927 is shorter than the 2nd (1928) and 3rd (1938), so looks like the lists are in the 2nd and 3rd editions. I'll buy the 3rd edition in the near future.

Edited by AlbertR