News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I was just scrolling through the pictures of the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum Rastatt, you can find on Google maps and saw this interesting bar

(I hope I am not violating any copyrights through pasting it here)

image.thumb.png.d1c7179476c5c613207a9089822e5fc2.png

Are there two iron crosses on it?(there must be something wrong)

Maybe someone was at the museum and knows to whom this uniform belonged

Edited by Utgardloki
    grammar

If you're referring to the cross second from last, that's likely a Mecklenburg-Schwerin Military Merit Cross II, probably for 1870 as it's an 1870 bar from the early 1900s. It's a Baden officer's bar as it has the Baden Officer's Long Service Cross (5th decoration).

Dear fellow collectors,

1 hour ago, VtwinVince said:

Need better pictures of that one, but for sure the precedence of the medals is all wrong.

the precedence on this medalbar is correct, the Russian Order of St. George, just like the Austrian order of Maria Therese, took precedence over most German awards. This tradition came into place after the napoleonic wars, because many German officers had received Russian and Austrian decorations.

Although the combination and precedence might seem wrong, they are indeed correct, and I might even go as far as say that this medalbar belonged to a high-ranking Badener, most likely someone from the Grandduchal house. None of you untill now seem to have noticed the most important and the rarest decoration on this bar. It is not the Order of St. George, small hint, it's in the 6th place.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Is it possible that this was the uniform King Wilhelm II of Württemberg himself?

I think I can see a field marshall batton on the shoulder-boards (he was made a field marshall in 1916)

Were there others who updated their "gestickter Waffenrock" after 1910 (where it was abolished if I remember correctly)?

Wilhelm_II._von_W%C3%BCrttemberg_%281892_RB25-21%29.jpg

At Laurentius: never seen that one before, looks like a Kronen-Orden backside medaillon... ;)

Edited by Utgardloki

3 hours ago, laurentius said:

None of you untill now seem to have noticed the most important and the rarest decoration on this bar. It is not the Order of St. George, small hint, it's in the 6th place.

What is number 6? 

No. 6 is the Preußen Goldene Hochzeitsmedaille 1. Klasse!

4 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

Is it possible that this was the uniform King Wilhelm II of Württemberg himself?

I think I can see a field marshall batton on the shoulder-boards (he was made a field marshall in 1916)

Were there others who updated their "gestickter Waffenrock" after 1910 (where it was abolished if I remember correctly)?

At Laurentius: never seen that one before, looks like a Kronen-Orden backside medaillon... ;)

No, this is not the uniform of King Wilhelm II of Württemberg.  The uniform belonged to a member of the Grand Ducal Baden household.  See the Baden Hausorden der Treue GK ribbon! 

Its a bar of a Badener and its rare because of the russian connection - in a lot of bars those medals are missing, because

Russia was since 1914 an enermy of the Deutsches Reich.

On 18/04/2019 at 19:30, Utgardloki said:

No, it's Friedrich I von Baden's tunic and medal bar (which makes sense, given that Rastatt is in Baden, and this is a centerpiece of the ground floor collection). 

Kind regards, 

Sandro

74-4157-1.jpg