News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi there, had a question about the Schwerin Blockade badge. Is it rarer to have one with the "scooped out" circle on the back? I have one like this, not in zinc, I believe it has some copper in it. Is this early, or are there fakes of this "scooped back" version? Sorry for the bad pic, I will have to take better pics. Please reply if anyone knows.

Thanks,

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

A request... I wondered if someone would be kind enough to give me an idea of what my cased set is worth?

I'm not sure I'd ever want to sell them... but I'm getting some rumblings. I have dreamed of getting an antique car ever since I was about 4 to 5 years old. I'll be 44 this coming August and feel like if I don't ask on this dream soon it may never happen. I want something while I'm still young enough to enjoy it.

I have another piece... not directly militaria related... but definitely connected to a very historic personality along with her very important husband... WWII related and documented as such. It's a piece I'd also hate to part with but if I could get enough for it alone I'd go that route. If not I may have to consider letting some more of my TR pieces go. I'd hate to do it... but I'm just getting to that stage where I'm afraid I'll never see that dream come true.

Again just in the "pondering" stage... but trying to see where I'd stand. And it's an extremely difficult decision... I'd long ago fallen into the trap of getting far too emotionally attached to all this stuff... and to let it go is like cutting off one's own arm. Not something to be taken lightly... and hoping I can avoid it.

And again, as I've posted many times... I'm as pretty close to totally in the dark on these along with the rest of my stuff as far as value.

So any help in this would be deeply appreciated! :beer:

Many thanks!!!! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

• 7 months later...

I have another piece... not directly militaria related... but definitely connected to a very historic personality along with her very important husband... WWII related and documented as such. It's a piece I'd also hate to part with but if I could get enough for it alone I'd go that route.

Okay i am sure that you have others intrested what is the OTHER piece put us out of misery what is it . :speechless1:

Dan

I have another piece... not directly militaria related... but definitely connected to a very historic personality along with her very important husband... WWII related and documented as such. It's a piece I'd also hate to part with but if I could get enough for it alone I'd go that route.

Okay i am sure that you have others intrested what is the OTHER piece put us out of misery what is it . :speechless1:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Welcome to the club! :beer:

Many apologies on this... was so intent on dealing with the Blockade set at the time I didn't think about the other other than making that comment. It's a piece I inherited from my father.

Basically it's a silk on silk tapestry that belonged to Madame Chiang Kai-Shek of China... wife of Generalisimo Chiang Kai-Shek, leader of Nationalist China during WWII and then Taiwan for many years after the communist takeover of the main land. Madame Chiang was a famous person in her own right and was very involved in the history of the time. She was the first woman to speak before the U.S. Congress and she and her husband knew and spent time with President and Mrs. Roosevent as well as other top personalities of the time. She only died a few years ago and made it to over 100. There's quite a bit about her out on the web.

Sadly I don't have any pics of it handy... I could do another set but not sure if I can get to it for a bit. It's not huge but it's bigger than the bed on my scanner. I can do digital pics but to be honest they really don't do it justice. I'll ponder it for a bit and see what I can come up with. It's actually so well done that it's really beautiful from the front or the back. Was made early 1900's and belonged to her through the 30's. She was going to have it made into a pillow case but it was seen by a friend of her's who admired it and so she made a gift of it to him. It's documented.

But it's something I don't have a set value on and I'm torn on letting it go... especially as my son Nick loves things oriental. It's a difficult item to value. If not for it's provenance it would be worth a good bit less. But the historical connection makes it more valueable. Just like a tablecloth belonging to Eva "Braun" Hitler would be. But even then there are levels regarding that kind of value. To someone generally interested in WWII it would possibly be of interest... to someone interested in China's history during that period or specifically in General Chiang and his wife or just specifically in her... she being one of three famous Chinese sisters of the period, all with historic connections... well it could be worth that much more. Or to someone who is interested in this type of artwork it would be another price.

Definitely something I'd have to have properly appraised to include a written appraisal which I could not afford at that time... and it would still be tough... at least for a bit.

Anyhow hope that solves the mystery. Again I'll be happy to try and do up some pics and post this at some point if there's anyone who would like to see it.

Thanks, :beer:

Dan :cheers: