News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pistol butt cap engraved characters ID req’d, please.

Hi,

With reference to the attached picture, can anyone tell me what they mean?

They are on the butt cap of a New Land Pattern pistol.

Many thanks in advance!

Bernie30E2EF7F-6B79-4AEA-A00A-11D402E7C93E.thumb.jpeg.ef1f9fa69388dda14c8b8c9acbbadef4.jpeg

Guessing, but the '50' is most probably a 'rack number' - the individual identification number specific to this pistol.  The link below is to a New Land with a '57' on the butt plate just below '2 Husar R', which clearly a rack number.

The 'I' at the top may be a '1' and indicate troop or squadron, perhaps.

Are the letters/symbols at the 9:00 and 3:00 positions 'G' and 'W'?  

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/pistols/antique-pistols---percussion/british-antique-new-land-pattern-pistol.cfm?gun_id=101167770

Edited by peter monahan

Bernie

There is just enough glare off the photo that I wasn't sure of the 'W' [old eyes].  Sadly, that doesn't get us an forrader!  Can't think of any likely regimental title in English which would contain two words beginning with G and W. :(

Hi Peter,

Thanks again!

I wonder if it’s relevant that it’s a lower case ‘g’ also the g and 50 seem to have been engraved, whereas the W (if it is a W?) and the 1 have been struck by a chisel?

Another relevant point might be is that this pistol has been converted to percussion.

Regs

The conversion is important, as it implies a lengthy period of service.  On later firearms - late 19th, 20th century, it is not uncommon to find anywhere up to a half dozen marks or sets of marks, resulting from the same weapon having been issued to multiple owners in multiple units.  So, for example, a Victorian era carbine might have multiple marks and rack numbers indicating the times it had been issued to and inspected for a line regiment, plus  marks showing service with militia or cadet units.

A long answer to a short question!  Yes, the marks may have been put on the piece at different times.  :)