News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Red Star

Guest Darrell

Guest Darrell

Here is my contribution to this very nice looking award (Type 2 without screwpost base):

Guest Rick Research

Might be a good idea to post the serial numbers in the text, since it's not always clear from scan flash and dark what the actual numbers are.

3,515,802 is a LATE 1956 number. Now that could be a 15 year service award as that type of routine bestowal ran out (in 1957) ... or it might have been for crushing the Hungarian uprising.

Sometimes you find completely weird exceptions to the known "rules:"

Here is a thin type without screwpost base-- number 1,845,186 -- that is 1.3 MILLION over the highest observed number in McDaniel & Schmitt. Luckily it came with a complete group, so I know it was awarded in August 1945 to a naval aviation Lieutenant with the Polar Fleet who had apparently had himself a VERY quiet war, though he was in long range bomber aviation during the Cold War, and got a routine 15 years Red Star during the 1950s.

Here are the front and back of the highest numbered one of this nice, delicate type I have ever seen, the entries page from his Orders Book, and his two Red Stars side by side for comparison. The thickness differences of the arms shows plainly. I like the thin early ones best, personally.

Guest Rick Research

I think they were just "forgotten" up there and this is a case where a unit which did NOT have priority got "leftovers."

Odd, because he was "front lines" in the Cold War and "backwater" (literally) during the World War.

• 12 years later...
    1 hour ago, BalkanCollector said:

Fake factory?

No,all orders are original.Simply,a few years there were such  offers in flea markets and in the meetings of the collectors.I think,we can compare with the ammonts of the Orders of Partisan Star.I remember I bought 25 years ago the OPS 2nd Grade for 300 euro,now we buy it for 50.

2 hours ago, BalkanCollector said:

Fake factory?

Nice or awful?Is this photo better now?

DSC02503.JPG

• 9 months later...
    • 7 months later...
    On 26/11/2018 at 22:24, Paul R said:

If you ever find any awards that are for fighting the Polish Home Army or "Polish fascist insurgents" or etc, please let me know.

Hello Paul! I just got a Bravery medal for a man from 79 blocking detachment (Magnuszew bridgehead). But his SECOND Bravery medal  from July 1945 is "for removal of AK officers and their weapons".

He is information on his FIRST medal, which I have.

1435597999_Screenshot2019-07-15at16_30_28.thumb.jpg.c0788a1f52bf48277cb39f9a2ce16671.jpg974718463_Screenshot2019-07-15at16_44_36.thumb.jpg.04749a656ab4553997ef1c9e9250904d.jpg

Edited by Egorka