News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I have had this oil painting of a Brunswick hussar for several years. It shows a hussar in field uniform (although the painter has used some artistic licence) and is dated 1916.

I have always thought this was an untraceable man, but now I wonder.........could it be a painting of Ernst-August, Duke of Brunswick?

Here's the date 1916. I suppose at this stage in the war, he would have been keen to be portrayed as a 'field commander'.......like the Prussian Crown Prince, who also had a penchant for skulls.

Thoughts, anyone?

My knowledge of German royalty is pretty scant.

• 2 months later...

Hi Robin,

But I know that picture !

I think here is your man :

IPB Image

It is a tinted postcard, ref. "W.C.A. Series 146 - N?96"

The photo, as seen on the front, is Copyright by International News Service, N.Y.

The back displays the following :

"A German trooper wearing the famous Death Head Hussar Helmet.

This was the regiment to which the Crown Prine was attached while at Danzig. it is said that but fifty men are left after the fightinh in Belgium and France"

(Of course the attribution of the Regiment is - wrong)

By the way that postcard has long been ruled out of my collection, so if you want to make the match with your painting, just PM me your address and I'll be happy to send it over.

Jerome

This was the regiment to which the Crown Prine was attached while at Danzig.

Well, they sure got that wrong! The crown prince was associated with the Prussian Leib Hussars Regiment No. 1 not the Brunswick Hussars No. 17. :cheeky:

Edited by Mike Dwyer

Hi Robin,

But I know that picture !

I think here is your man :

IPB Image

It is a tinted postcard, ref. "W.C.A. Series 146 - N?96"

The photo, as seen on the front, is Copyright by International News Service, N.Y.

This was the regiment to which the Crown Prine was attached while at Danzig. it is said that but fifty men are left after the fightinh in Belgium and France"

(Of course the attribution of the Regiment is - wrong)

By the way that postcard has long been ruled out of my collection, so if you want to make the match with your painting, just PM me your address and I'll be happy to send it over.

Jerome

Jerome.

That's great!

Many thanks indeed.

Hi Robin,

Postcard's on its way.

It's funny indeed, the more I look at the painting, the more I see alternatively the Crown prince / the Duke of Braunschweig / none of them !

(Though the slight curve given to the nose would indicate the Kronprinz)

Cheers

Jerome

Hi Robin,

Postcard's on its way.

It's funny indeed, the more I look at the painting, the more I see alternatively the Crown prince / the Duke of Braunschweig / none of them !

(Though the slight curve given to the nose would indicate the Kronprinz)

Cheers

Jerome

Jerome.

Many thanks! If you ever need anything from me, just ask.

Personally, I think that the painting has been copied from the postcard photo with the Duke of Brunswick's face put in!

Cheers and thanks again.

Robin.