News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chernobyl Medal

Guest Darrell

That was really a cheap award for the hard work they did at the reactor. I would expect that they at least got an Order, maybe a Labor award. Even the Labor Medals are nicer.

Not meant in a bad way, Darrel. I will of course add on to my collection too, as its a part of the history. I just wonder, why they got such an ugly thing.

Gerd

Guest Rick Research

Martin Cruz Smith's latest Arkady Renko mystery, "Wolves Eat Dogs" is set in the deadly ghost zone around Chernobyl. I never knew it was on the main reservoir for Kiev... and can be expected to keep on with its deadly invisible peril for longer than we have already had recorded history-- which is about as emphatic an anti-nuclear power argument as I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Congratulations on the box-- I've never seen one! :beer:

Or an award document-- issued or blank.

• 4 months later...

Here is some background information to the disaster:

On April the 26th 1986 the soviets made some experiments with the reactor. After a short time

after starting the experiments, they were not longer able to controll the reactor (as well of technical

problems of the construction) and the bloc 4 of the power-plant exploded.

The inhabitans of the region were not informed, 3 days after the accident they started to evacuate the

region next to the plant.

On April the 28 the Scandinavian countries measured high radiactive in the air. The soviet union negated

an big atomic accident and spoke from two killed persons.

The first may was celebrated as normal.

After 1 month they started to evacuate the whole region.