News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DEFENCE FORCE OF IRELAND SERVICE MEDALS.

hello all, i am new to this found you by accident. i am 67 years old and served with the irish army from 1960- 1964, i also served with the united nations peace keeping forces in the CONGO and i dis receive my un medal thereafter.

However, in 1969 i lost my medal and now my son keeps asking me if i could apply for another un medal to replace the lost one. I also noticed the there is now another medal available from the irish defence forces for those who received a un medal which sounds exciting. My problem is i have no idea how to go about all this and would really appreicate any advise because my memory is not great and cant remember dates etc but i do remember my army number, can anyone help please,

Many thanks

Christy fleming

Hallo Christy,

the normal procedure would be to visit any Irish Military Barracks or Reserve Defence Force Office and obtain the proforma for applying for a replacement medal or set of medals,

once obtained and returned then the process starts for you to receive a replacement set of Irish Military awards, you would also be eligible to receive the Irish United Nations Service Medal for Peacekeeping.

However the United Nations Service Medal (for any United Nations Peacekeeping Mission service) is not covered as a free replacement however these are easily found for sale on the Internet, or you have to submit an application via the Irish Defence Forces and pay the fee to cover the cost of the medal.

You might be also interested to know about the United Nations Veterans Association in London

I will contact my brother Kieron, who is the Secretary of Post 1 Felix-Grant-DSM-UK located in London, and ask is it possible for you to apply through there organisation.

You will need to provide some form of information, such as Army number, unit at home in Ireland, Unit & Year served in the Congo . . . etc . . . etc . . .

Kevin in Deva (ex Irish Army & U.N.I.F.I.L. veteran of UN Peace-keeping in South Lebanon).

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Christy,

the normal procedure would be to visit any Irish Military Barracks or Reserve Defence Force Office and obtain the proforma for applying for a replacement medal or set of medals,

once obtained and returned then the process starts for you to receive a replacement set of Irish Military awards, you would also be eligible to receive the Irish United Nations Service Medal for Peacekeeping.

However the United Nations Service Medal (for any United Nations Peacekeeping Mission service) is not covered as a free replacement however these are easily found for sale on the Internet, or you have to submit an application via the Irish Defence Forces and pay the fee to cover the cost of the medal.

You might be also interested to know about the United Nations Veterans Association in London

I will contact my brother Kieron, who is the Secretary of Post 1 Felix-Grant-DSM-UK located in London, and ask is it possible for you to apply through there organisation.

You will need to provide some form of information, such as Army number, unit at home in Ireland, Unit & Year served in the Congo . . . etc . . . etc . . .

Kevin in Deva (ex Irish Army & U.N.I.F.I.L. veteran of UN Peace-keeping in South Lebanon).

Hallo Christy,

Hello Kev

so kind of you to reply so promptly regarding my post, i actually live in the UK since 1965 and i do try to vist my home in Dublin every year. I note you asked me for as much information about my service in the Irish Army and with the UN. i Joined thr Irish Army mid 1960 aged 16 years of age but gave the age of 17 years old wich was the min age to be accepted. I had just been discharged from an industrial school were i spent three years because i wouldnt attend school. On relieise from that three year nightmare and i will spare you the details, it became impossible to find a job with no skills and poor education i managed to get accepted in the irish army at Cathalbruga Barracks Dublin, My whole service was spent at the same barracks with A Company 2nd Battalion, my army number was 810891 and i remained a private C Fleming.

I am unable to remember the exact dates i spent in the Congo expect i do know i was 17 years old and completed the full six months at verious locations of the Congo, I wish i could remember more but my memory loss is getting worse and i currently have Cancer (Leukaemia) however i have no intention of letting ill health hold me back on making the most of my life and i would very much love to be able to give my son something to remember me when that time is right, I was discharged from the forces on medical grounds in 1964 and currently am in receipt of a disability pension from the Irish Department of Defence,

My true date of birth is 13th February 1944 born in Dublin and lived at 33g Markievicz House, Townsend Street, Dublin, My current address is: 19 Russell Gardens, Ilford Essex, 1G2 7BY Phone No. 0208 5548269 .

I will try and dig out any further information and let you know and once again many thanks for your welcome help.

Regards Christy

Dear Christy, :cheers:

I have forwarded your details to my brother Kieron, he is over Croydon way, and Secretary

of the United Nations Veterans Association, I expect he will give you a bell with regards this matter over the next few days.

Sorry I cannot do more for you myself but I am along way from your side of Europe. Anyway do remember to check back and let us know how you get on, also if you wish to share any stories from your time in the military please feel free to add them or share any pictures you might have, for that you will have to get a member of the younger generation scan them to computer and add them to your posts.

Wishing you and yours a pleasant weekend from the depths of sunny Transylvania.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Dear Christy, :cheers:

I have forwarded your details to my brother Kieron, he is over Croydon way, and Secretary

of the United Nations Veterans Association, I expect he will give you a bell with regards this matter over the next few days.

Sorry I cannot do more for you myself but I am along way from your side of Europe. Anyway do remember to check back and let us know how you get on, also if you wish to share any stories from your time in the military please feel free to add them or share any pictures you might have, for that you will have to get a member of the younger generation scan them to computer and add them to your posts.

Wishing you and yours a pleasant weekend from the depths of sunny Transylvania.

Hello again Kevin

honestly Kevin you have done more then enough and i cant thank you enough for passing on my information to your brother who instantly rang me yesesday and he is putting everything into motion for me.

To think that i found this site accidentaly and yet got so much help that i never thought was available, the only reason i went into the web was because it had suddenly occured to me that it is 50 years ago

when i was in the Congo and it seem to trigger off some real good and bad memories. Once again Kevin many thanks for all your help and i will come back and let you know what develops for me as i am very exceited

about the whole matter.

Very best regards

Christy

• 8 months later...

New Version of the Irish Reserve Defence Force Medal.

The old F.C.A. / S.M. version of the Reserve Defence Force Medal has been upgraded,

the suspender, ribbon, and front design stay the same.

but changes to the rear design with now only the words:-

"THE SERVICE MEDAL"

"RDF"

• 6 years later...

Just wondering if this medal ever came with an award document.

Thank you very much.

THE IRISH SERVICE MEDAL FOR PEACEKEEPING WITH THE UNITED NATIONS.

Irish soldiers (now both male and female) have played a prominent part in United Nations Peace-Keeping since their deployment to the Congo in the 1960's, an up to now, a very large percentage of the Irish Defence Forces, including Naval, and Aer Corps personel have served on the ground, particularly in South Lebanon with U.N.i.F.I.L. While being entitled to the various service medals issued by the United Nations in 1987 it was decided that they should have a special Irish medal for such services, at this time the UN was the receipient of the Nobel Peace Prize for its efforts world-wide in peacekeeping. Countries with soldiers on current peace-keeping missions at that time, designed an appropriate medal of commemoration.

The Irish medals, first issues in a white metal alloy and 35mm in diameter, were made in 1989, and as awards were to be made retrospectively, there will be about 12,000 potential claimanents. Any member or former member of the Defense Forces, who was awarded a United Nations Service Medal may apply for this medal. It may also be claimed by next-of-kin of deceased personnel.

docu0193a.JPG

docu0198a.JPG

docu0201.JPG

docu0202.JPG

docu0193a.JPG

docu0198a.JPG

docu0201.JPG

docu0202.JPG