News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

modern campaign medals on ebay

It may just be suspicious old me but has anyone else noticed the large number of modern campaign medals eg.for the Iraq and Afghanistan campaigns for sale on Ebay COMPLETE WITH BOX OF ISSUE AND FORWARDING SLIP FROM THE ARMY MEDAL OFFICE.?

I cannot recall the same number appearing after say,The Falklands War,either a lot of serving soldiers are cashing in on their medals,(illegal of course if you are still serving) or maybe it is just the wide world of Ebay ... has anyone bought one?Do they look OK? I do know the naming styles have changed and are now done by computer...could this mean that some cunning type with access to the same naming fonts is turning them up?

It was pretty rare to ever get the box of issue named to the recipient...most soldiers would have thrown the box away....

Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky...but they are selling for quite high prices.I'd value fellow collectors comments.

Mike

From what I have seen in the press, a fair number of British veterans of the Iraq invasion are selling their medals as a modest form of protest against this very unpopular deployment. Supply and demand has worked to keep prices high, for now, but as more Iraq medals are coming to market the prices are sure to drop.

1. Disgruntled squaddies selling for profit.

2. Squaddies selling a double issue for profit.

3. Genuine, but misappropriated medals being sold.

4. Outright fakes. (No DW under the effigy, no cigar!)

5. Copies. These should fool nobody.

In that order.

1. Disgruntled squaddies selling for profit.

Thanks Tony.It just seemed a litttle odd to me that they are all turning up,as I emphasised,with box of issue and forwarding slips etc.There was one the other day to a half colonel with the post nominals MBE after his name...again a little odd that such a senior rank's medal was being flogged?Mind you the treatment the British Army soldiers are getting from the politically correct left wingers who seem to be keen to court martial every officer/squadie who looks the wrong way at an Iraqi is a disgrace.No wonder the men are keen to flog their medals

Mike

2. Squaddies selling a double issue for profit.

3. Genuine, but misappropriated medals being sold.

4. Outright fakes. (No DW under the effigy, no cigar!)

5. Copies. These should fool nobody.

In that order.