News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi all,

Been holding off on this one as #1 there's alot of pics; #2 been waiting for a sunny day in order to do some good pics of the group as I'd forgotten to add a couple of them the first time I took them.

First off, the "family" pic, and then one by one, front and back.

IPB Image

The cutout in black:

IPB Image

IPB Image

As soon as I discovered them I just "had" to have one. They are strangely appealing... some day I'll have to get the silver and gold to finish the set. :D

• Replies 73
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a naval. Sad that they didn't continue to issue something similar in WWII. And again, some day I'll have to add the silver and gold. It seems kinda lonely at times along with the black cutout.

IPB Image

IPB Image

And the WWI Gold:

IPB Image

IPB Image

These Imperial wounds have a bit of a story behind them. My mom and dad were looking to purchase a farmstead up near us in North Florida many moons ago. The realtor that was showing them their property happened to want a black powder rifle to hang on his wall... he already had several. I happened to have purchased one with a ton of accessories for $90. He expressed an interest in the rifle but had no interest in the accessories.

He said he had a possible trade that might interest me. It was a box, about the size of a shoebox that he'd found in the attic of an old house that he'd bought to restore and sell. It was filled with WWI militaria... several full and partial sets of German wound badges, some U.S. and British flight related material, a couple of French railway tickets, some German and I believe Serbian matchbooks (complete with matches) and some razor blades. The prize of the lot in my eyes was a WWI German pilots badge "in cloth"! :love::love::speechless1::jumping: With "original packet"! :speechless1:

He decided to keep one set of the wound badges to keep on a bookshelf in his office and the rest went in trade to me for the rifle. Needless to say I was ecstatic! :D

I sold off most of the wounds as well as the U.S. and British aviation material but I kept the pilots badge with packet and the wounds... pick of the lot of course... as well as the railway tickets, razors, matchbooks, etc. And I still have it all to this day.

I think I did okay on that one. :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing pictures of your wound badge collection.I am also a collector with about 30 in my

collection and love to see others.Right now wound badges are hold for me as I am into medal bars

rirgt now.I do still study them.Now to the point....I hate to tell you this but the gold L14 IS A WELL

known fake.Anyways you still have a nice collection. That naval is a nice one:beer:

don

Edited by don

Hi again.

I am sorry about you WB in Gold. Regardless, you have an awesome collection of Wound Badges. I especially like the WW1 Naval WB!

I know that you have been receiving a lot of bad news lately... but it is better that these items are caught early on in collecting than after decades!!! Most of us have all been burnt more than once! Don't be discouraged!

Regards

Paul

Guest Darrell

Hi Dan,

Nice group of WB's :beer:

The boys are right about the L/14 ... but it has still fooled many a collector and dealer to this day.

It amazes me all the stuff you have :o

Edited by Darrell

Hi all,

Figured I'd do one reply to save space. First off... many, many thanks on your kind and generous comments and compliments on my goodies. You've no idea how deeply I appreciate each and every one! :D:beer:

On the wound... sigh! :( This actually was one from decades ago. It was from the same guy I mention in my WWII IC 1st post. He dealt at that time at the Wagon Wheel flea market in Pinellas Park Florida. He's the guy that took me under his wing as a newbie collector, only to get greedy and screw me over several times. No idea if he's even still around and actively selling. I'd mention his name but didn't know if that was okay or not. If so, let me know and I'll let fly as I'd hate to see other collectors taken advantage of.

So far, I've been fortunate, but again if I can save one person from having problems it's worth it. Lucky thing is that I don't think I paid a ton for it (probably about $30-$35) at the time as again such things were alot more common and alot cheaper in those days.

I have another set of items I want to post, my Flowers Wars medals... two of which I have no reason to doubt but one, the Memel... I know has had a lot of fakes over time. I got them all from him so want to make sure... and been kind of "dreading" posting them.

But hey, live and learn. So guess now I have to find a "good" gold along with the rest of the sets I need to complete. Perhaps when I get my war chest built back up I could get some help from some of my fellow members who are wound collectors... and might have some spares from time to time. :D:beer:

Again many thanks guys! Couldn't do it without you! :cheers:

Dan

About Wound badges Dan...For now try and stay to the well know makers in your search for a gold and

silvers.For example my hunt list would be the 30s,65s and 107s and the 100.Try and keep away from

the rare and the oddballs for now.Please also ask opinions as we have some members here that know

there stuff.Like darrell and ronny :P:P .Good luck

Ps...That navy looks real good.

don

Hello Dan

Really nice to see your wound badges :love:

Love the prinzen badges and the tombak L/11 :jumping:

Sorry about the infamous L/14, I have one :angry:

There is a evil twin too the L/14 out there the L/63

Badge the only difference is the makers mark.

Cheers,

Ronny

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, those Prinzen badges are favorites of mine as well. Have had them for around twenty years... and yes folks, I know, that's the magic number! :lol: And to be honest I've never seen another set or even other Prinzens like them. I'm sure there are quite a number out there... just never run into them myself. Got these complete as a set and have loved them dearly ever since. :love::love:

Sorry to hear you also got stuck with an L/14... but hey, perhaps they're so infamous they'll be collectible some day in their own right! :rolleyes: And perhaps we could start a new club based around those who are the proud... well, perhaps not so proud owners of L/14's and their cousins the L/63's. :D

I figure life gives you lemons... make lemonaide! :cheers:

How about a pic of your L/14 for comparison? Would love to see it. :jumping:

Thanks! :beer:

Dan

Here it is Dan my evil one.

Hi Ronny,

Awwww... perhaps not evil... maybe just a misunderstood wild child! :lol: Seriously thanks for the great pics. I simply have to get some of those little plastic doodads for holding stuff that I see so many of the members using... is this a club issued device? :rolleyes::lol:

They really do a terrific job of holding stuff in just the right position for taking great pics! Compliments to the chef! :cheers:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Back :angry:

:beer:

Ronny.

Ronny,

Seriously... I hope you don't have alot in it... I know that always hurts more. I was lucky on mine and it happened so long ago with a dealer that turned on me and did me dirty that I've expended all my anger over it long ago. Even though I just found out recently after making my post that it was bad it's like, oh well... easy come, easy go, life goes on... that sort of thing. It's yet another learning experience on this long and winding road of being a collector. You win some (hopefully alot) and lose a few. I don't think anyone out there has managed to not get burned at least once.

Just didn't want you to think I was being at all flippant in my last post with the "not evil" bit... just trying to look on the positive side. But after a bit of reflection just wanted you to know that.

Again hope and pray you don't have alot in it and it can just remain as a shining example for you and others in future as I hope mine will be. :D

Dan

Hello Dan,

I don?t remember what I paid for it, I have had it

For about 12 years, so the hurt was done a long time ago.

I have a KVK fake by the same maker (Johannes Floch). :banger:

I have purchased more wound badges after the L/14 incident

So I am recovered :jumping:

Hope to see more of your collection :cheers:

Cheers,

Ronny

Hello Dan,

I don’t remember what I paid for it, I have had it

For about 12 years, so the hurt was done a long time ago.

I have a KVK fake by the same maker (Johannes Floch). :banger:

I have purchased more wound badges after the L/14 incident

So I am recovered :jumping:

Hope to see more of your collection :cheers:

Cheers,

Ronny

Hi Ronny,

Glad everything is cool. :cool: Yeah... as they say, time does heal all wounds. Hey, even though it's kinda :off topic: if you don't mind post the KVK as well since it's the same maker. Figure all we can do to "advertise" what the bad ones look like is a good thing. Puts people on notice.

Dan