News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Victory Medals

Guest Darrell

Hello Tim,

Being just a victory medal collector I have a few different Belgian victory medal varieties and sub-varieties. Out of all the victory medals I would say that the Belgian issue is a favourite due to the fineness of the strike and design, but that is just a personal perspective!

When I have time I will post pics of some more different varieties of the Czech-Belgian vics that I have which were produced by Alexander Leisek and Edward Riemer, as well as others.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob!

I have always loved the WWI Victory Medals and am still trying to complete my set. I would really love to see the different Czech pieces you have for comparison. I have a couple myself (O'Spainel) but do not have one with the coarser grain ribbon yet. :banger:

I always took an affectionate preference towards the American version but, I personally think the Italian design has to be the most inspiring. :love:

Tim

Hi Rob!

I have always loved the WWI Victory Medals and am still trying to complete my set. I would really love to see the different Czech pieces you have for comparison. I have a couple myself (O'Spainel) but do not have one with the coarser grain ribbon yet. :banger:

I always took an affectionate preference towards the American version but, I personally think the Italian design has to be the most inspiring. :love:

Tim

Hello Tim,

I have posted a few times so far with elements of my vic collection, in the applicable country sections. So far I can recall posting a couple of items in the Czechoslovak, France, Great Britain and Japan vic threads as well a few more in the 'Rest of the world' vic topic. On that thread I have also posted a couple of panoramic shots of all the standard victory medal types so you may want to have a look there.

I will be posting more pics here on this thread of the Czech produced Belgian vics and then eventually others in the applicable country listing. This will be dependent on my work and my temperamental scanner.

It would, of course, be advantageous for a single Victory medal thread to be established. This would allow different sub-threads as they relate to each country. As far as I can tell, aside from the United Nations Service Medal for Korea in numerous languages, no other medal has the real international flavour and agreed upon design as does the Vic; but then again I'm sure the administrators are aware of all this. :D

I agree that the Italian model is definitely a well designed and evocative piece, manufactured by no less than 7 different producers !!

More pics to follow when I have time.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Tim,

I have posted a few times so far with elements of my vic collection, in the applicable country sections. So far I can recall posting a couple of items in the Czechoslovak, France, Great Britain and Japan vic threads as well a few more in the 'Rest of the world' vic topic. On that thread I have also posted a couple of panoramic shots of all the standard victory medal types so you may want to have a look there.

More pics to follow when I have time.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks Rob! I found it and posted some of mine that I have already photographed. Now I will have to dig out the rest when I have more time as well.

Tim

To all,

Here is a Czech produced Belgian vic. It is identified as the 'unofficial type 2' according to Mr Alexander Laslo's reference book. Produced by the Prague firm of Edward Riemer it is characterised by:

Obverse

• a thick wire or small ball suspender
    • the lack of the designers name 'Paul Dubois'
    • more defined rays underneath the feet of victory
    Reverse
    • minor variations in the positioning and finer detail of the country shields
    • the addition of a small 'R' hallmark (denoting Riemer) at the 6 o'clock position below the centre wreath

Compared to the official strike this model is generally wider at over 37mm in diameter with examples being seen with either a thicker or thin planchet. It is suspended by the coarse weave Czech style ribbon and it has also been seen in both light and darker bronze base metals. Other examples have been identified with an unofficial single linden leaf symbol attached to the ribbon.

I hope it is of use.

Close-ups to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Jean Paul,

No worries, happy to share ! The only other Belgian group I have is a full-size group with a War Cross with palm, Yser Medal, Vic, and War Commemorative medal with 4 service bars.

I shall post pics of my Belgian full-size medal group when I have the time.

Regards,

Rob

Hello Jean Paul,

Here is my only other Belgian group. A nice group of 4 with War Cross and palm, Yser Medal, Vic, and War Medal (with 4 service bars; 1 gilt (denoting 5 silver bars) and 3 silver bars equaling 4 years service.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is yet another Czech produced Belgian vic. It is identified as the 'unofficial type 1a' according to Mr Alexander Laslo's reference book. Produced by the firm of Alexander Leisek it is only slightly different than the previously posted unofficial type 1. It is characterised by:

Obverse

• a thick wire or small ball suspender
    • the lack of the designers name 'Paul Dubois'
    • there is no hallmark inside the wreath held by victory. This is the only major difference between the unofficial type 1 and unofficial type 1a
    • more defined rays underneath the feet of victory that are more widely spaced than the unofficial type 2 series
    Reverse
    • minor variations in the positioning of the surrounding wreaths as well as the finer detail of the country shields
    • the addition of a small 'LA' hallmark (denoting Alexander Leisek) at the 6 o'clock position below the centre wreath

Compared to the official strike this model is generally seen in a width of just over 36mm in diameter. It is suspended by any number of differing varieties of the coarse weave Czech style ribbon and it has also been seen in both light and darker bronze base metals.

Close-ups to follow.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Here are the close-ups. The lack of a hallmark inside the wreath of the outstretched hand of victory on the obverse and the 'LA' hallmark on the reverse should be more noticeable.

Regards,

Rob

• 1 month later...

To all,

This has already been posted on the specific Belgium thread but I thought I would post it here for completeness as it is one of my favourite mini groups.

Like the French miniatures Belgian vic min's were produced in a number of different sizes from 11 - 18 mm in diameter. The Belgian vic mini in this group is 13.5 mm.

Of note is the level of detail on the orders, and in particular the enamel work. Due to the limited number of participants the campaign medal for the African Campaign is not often seen.

L-R:

* Officer of the Order of the Crown

* Officer of the Royal Order of the Lion, with palm

* War Cross, with palm

* Commemorative Medal of the African Campaign

* Volunteer Combatants Medal

* Belgian Victory Medal

* War Commemorative Medal

Regards,

Rob

• 5 months later...

Here is few extra Victory medals related items, what I have in my humble collection...

British Victory Medal - G-1834 PTE D MC CORMACK R. IR.FUS..

Bilingual - BURG.P.J.SENEKAL SHUTERLAND KDO.

Hello Noor,

Nice pics. Any humble collection has to start somewhere. That is the interesting thing about the vic series; there is always something to collect considering the large number of countries involved and the corresponding number of different strikes and varieties.

The bonus of vics from the Commonwealth countries (Great Britain, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, India, South Africa) was that the medals were named which makes researching them all the more enjoyable.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

And finally not the medal but British WW1 trio ribbon bar with the prototype Allied Victory Medal ribbon rolleyes.gif (sorry if its not the right place to post it)

As an aide to others, and as an addition to Noor's posting, here is another British Great War trio with the prototype vic ribbon.

It is in a bit better shape so the colours can be more clearly identified.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

To all,

Here is a pic of a French produced Belgian vic.

The strike is the same as the Belgian produced version with the only readily identifiable difference being the ever so slightly larger ball suspender. It is also generally seen with the French produced vic ribbon which is significantly different to that made in Belgium.

In addition to these differences the French reproduction type is clearly marked on the rim with the word 'BRONZE' as well as a triangle shaped mint mark.

While the major French medal manufacturers at the time produced strikes of quite a few of the vic series, the Belgian one is not often seen in the first place and is becoming harder to obtain.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I herewith add an picture of my 3 Belgian Victory Medals. The one on the left with the black mother bar and the centre one are an official type 1. The one on the right is an unofficial type 3 - uniface.

rgds

Herman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just arrived

Has 'PAUL DUBOIS' at the 5 o'clock position on the obverse, but no 'R' (Riemer) or 'LA' (Alexander Leisek) hallmarks. So not one of the unofficial Belgian Victory's. Size is 36.2mm by 3mm thick, and no markings on the edge.

Can someone give me an opinion whether it is an Official type 1 or 2, or one of the repro's

Thanks in advance

Rayjin

• 4 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Just come across this on UK e-bay - a mint-condition Belgian vic with original manufacturer's packaging

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELGIAN-FIRST-WORLD-WAR-VICTORY-MEDAL-MINT-CONDITION-/140576049169?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item20bafc4811

May be of interest to someone.

Bill

Hi Bill,

PM sent. Yes, I have seen some of these that still can found with the issuing packet/box. Sometime back, I noted a French Vic in a box with a paper fold-out that had the Vic picture on it as well.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

These are exemplary of my Belgian Vic.

in cool conditions.

A curious red cross, according to the seller, would be medical staff. others say it may be wounded, an unofficial version?

well, only time will tell.

DSCF5545.JPG

Hello Lambert,

Does the vic you posted in # 5 & 6 have any edge markings? The larger ball suspender is characteristic of French manufacture. I would expect to see the word 'BRONZE' and/or a mintmark on the edge.

Is this the case?

Regards,

Rob

These are exemplary of my Belgian Vic.

in cool conditions.

A curious red cross, according to the seller, would be medical staff. others say it may be wounded, an unofficial version?

well, only time will tell.

Hello Lambert,

That is a nice vic with an unusually large red enamelled cross. I have seen other belgian vics with the frontline service bars as well as the official 10mm enamlled cross denoting a wound chevron or stripe but this is unofficial as these ribbon emblems were institued for the War Commemorative Medal and not the vic.

The original decree instituting the belgian War Commemorative Medal, 1914-1918, included a number of ribbon emblems. One of these was a red enamel cross for each wound stripe. These enamel red cross' were 10mm wide so the one you have illustrated is definitely larger. In addition similar red enamelled crosses denoting wounds were also authorised for the Commemorative Medal of the War 1940-1945. I have seen such a Commemorative Medal of the War 1940-1945 with an enamelled cross the same size as the one you have illustrated so there may be a link there.

Despite the official decree indicating the sizes I have seen many and varied different styles of red enamelled crosses so this would most likely account for your larger example illustrated.

I am sure there would be more knowledgeable belgian collectors on the forum who could talk more on this subject.

Regards,

Rob