News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian Victory Medals

Guest Darrell

Here is my collection of Belgian Victory Medals:

P1040368_zpsec26dc4b.jpg

P1040369_zps6b6cfa7c.jpg

Upper row:

Chez made models: first three by Alexander Leisek and the fourth by Riemer. Even so, the suspension on the Leisek exemplars are two different models. The first one bears the LA mark also in the laurel wreath. The other two don't have the LA mark on the adverse, but yes on the reverse.

Lower row:

First and fourth medal: normal Dubois model, second with no reverse, third with the "bronze" and "JC" marking.

Can someone help me with the Lasso classification of these medals? I still do not have the book :(

Best regards,

GM1

P.D. More pictures with details will follow.

• 2 months later...

The LA-mark on the anverse:

The differences of the suspension:

GM1

Hello GM1,

You will also note on the first Alexander Leisek model, with the 'LA' mark inside the wreath on the obverse, that there is a faint PAUL DUBIOS stamping at the bottom right of the obverse. This is not present on the Leisek models that only have the 'LA' mark on the reverse.

Regards,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Here are my two Belgian WW1 Interallied medals. They have been purchased separately in time and from different locations in the world. Nevertheless, I always had the suspect they are both cast copies. Please have a look (pictures are 2000pix wide) and leave your comments. Thank you!

ciao

Sergio

Edited by rocketscientist

Hello GM1,

You will also note on the first Alexander Leisek model, with the 'LA' mark inside the wreath on the obverse, that there is a faint PAUL DUBIOS stamping at the bottom right of the obverse. This is not present on the Leisek models that only have the 'LA' mark on the reverse.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

I can confirm that there is a faint Paul DUBOIS inscription. Pictures will follow.

Thanks a lot for the useful information!

Best regards,

GM1

Hello All.

An overview of my vic Belgians. (So far)

attachicon.gifcoleção vic belga.jpg

Type officers: variant Frances officer with cross wounded officer with bar widow, official mint and oficiail (no ribbon)

Lambert

Hi Lambert:

The Red Cross is not allowed on the Victory Medal, but indeed can be worn on the Conmemorative Medal of the War 1914-1918.

Best regards,

GM1

Hi Rob,

I can confirm that there is a faint Paul DUBOIS inscription. Pictures will follow.

Thanks a lot for the useful information!

Best regards,

GM1

Difficult to see, but between 5 and 6 o´clock there is the name of the sculpture, Paul Dubois.

P1040621_zpse750991f.jpg

Best regards,

GM1

Hello Sergio.

I do not see anything different or could suspect his examples. For me everything OK

Because you suspect copies?

Lambert

Lambert,

I am glad to hear that you do not see anything wrong in the medals.

However, I will try to explain my concern. If we take the one on the left as reference, the medal on the right shows a significant porosity all over the surface and a general lack of details which is not due to wear (because of its uniformity). This is normally indication of cast copy, where the medals are obtained by fusion of the metal rather than struck.

Maybe I am biased by being a collector of USSR medals which are very ofter faked using this method.

Hi Sergio.

I understand your concern.

There are several reproductions (unofficial)
    There is a type of French manufacture, marked with a triangle and the word Bronze. Is there any mark on his medal?

Lambert

There is a type of French manufacture, marked with a triangle and the word Bronze. Is there any mark on his medal?

I have seen some pictures posted here with the markings you're referring to, Lambert. I could check only the one on the right (the worst) and found nothing. As far as I can remember, also the other medal has no marks, at least not on the side.

Here are my two Belgian WW1 Interallied medals. They have been purchased separately in time and from different locations in the world. Nevertheless, I always had the suspect they are both cast copies. Please have a look (pictures are 2000pix wide) and leave your comments. Thank you!

ciao

Sergio

Hello Sergio,

Taking into consideration that there were an estimated 300,000 to 350,000 (Laslo Ed 2, cit) of this model produced, some variation in both the finish and metallic content should be expected. While all the specific Belgian manufacturers of this model have not been identified I have seen models before that have a shallower level of detail as well as more bronze appearance to the ball suspender.

Both examples look fine.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Thank you for complementing my point of view. Your comment is more accurate.

Hello Sergio,

Taking into consideration that there were an estimated 300,000 to 350,000 (Laslo Ed 2, cit) of this model produced, some variation in both the finish and metallic content should be expected. While all the specific Belgian manufacturers of this model have not been identified I have seen models before that have a shallower level of detail as well as more bronze appearance to the ball suspender.

Both examples look fine.

Regards,
    Rob

Thanks Rob ..
    Your comment is more accurate.

lambert

Lambert

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,

I've just acquired a Belgian Official Type which appears to have a slightly odd suspension. It looks more oval when seen from front or rear, while it's a mis-shapen sphere in side view.

Some photos:

belgknob01_zpsfbc7cb67.jpg

Obverse

belgknob02_zpsb6f02e63.jpg

Reverse

belgknob03-crop_zps165fb487.jpg

Obverse close-up. The solder joint is much wider than other examples I've seen - almost as wide as the suspension.

belgknob04-crop_zps76c397ff.jpg

Reverse close-up. The ball is certainly not spherical!

belgknob05-crop_zps00f01a57.jpg

Side view of suspension. The hole is elongated F-R and the odd shape of the sphere is evident. The ball has striations running across it from L-R.

The name of the designer is on the obverse, although the IS of DUBOIS is almost invisible.

From the front the suspension resembles that on Oliver's vic shown on the Sammler site http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsammler.ru%2Findex.php%3Fshowtopic%3D115165%26st%3D0%26%23entry1388950

The 'ball' measures 4.5mm from side to side, and approximately 5.6mm front to rear and top to bottom - difficult to get an accurate measure due to the odd shape!

So, is this just an oddity or something more significant?

Bill

Hi Gents,

I've just acquired a Belgian Official Type which appears to have a slightly odd suspension. It looks more oval when seen from front or rear, while it's a mis-shapen sphere in side view.

Obverse close-up. The solder joint is much wider than other examples I've seen - almost as wide as the suspension.

Reverse close-up. The ball is certainly not spherical!

Side view of suspension. The hole is elongated F-R and the odd shape of the sphere is evident. The ball has striations running across it from L-R.

The name of the designer is on the obverse, although the IS of DUBOIS is almost invisible.

The 'ball' measures 4.5mm from side to side, and approximately 5.6mm front to rear and top to bottom - difficult to get an accurate measure due to the odd shape!

So, is this just an oddity or something more significant?

Bill

Hello Bill,

I have seen Belgian vics (official ones) that have both smaller and larger balls, balls with larger gaps or spaces for the suspension ring, as well as balls that were misshapen, or slightly flattened. There is such variety that I would suggest it is just an oddly shaped ball suspender that has, perhaps, been knocked or come in contact with something else to give it that slightly flattened appearance.

That the medal is suspended by French and not Belgian ribbon is of note as well!

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Hi Bill.

Remember that the Belgian medal, manufactured in France, has the ball slightly larger and thinner wire suspension.

---

Recently acquired in France, one vic unofficial French model Charles, maker's is clearly legible. :D

Best Regards

Lambert

Edited by lambert