News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soldiers Graves In a Country Village in South-West Romania

TABLET 3:

LUPEA IOAN.

LUPUTIA GHEORGHE.

MARGINEAN GHEORGHE.

MARGINEAN G. N. MOISE.

MARGINEAN PETRU.

MICU IORDAN

MITEA ION.

MUJA IOAN.

MUJA VIOREL.

MURGU GHEORGHE.

NEDAL GHEORGHE.

NISTOR GHEORGHE.

OLARIU EMIL.

OLARIU GHEORGHE.

PASCU IOSIF.

POPA IV. GHEORGHE.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

• Replies 146
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TABLET 4:

POPA IV. IOAN.

POPA GH. IOAN.

ROMOSAN NICOLAE.

SANDESCU IOAN.

SIBISAN NICOLAE.

SIMU IOAN

STEFANESCU NICOLAE.

TANASE PETRU.

GURGHIU IOAN.

TARTAU CONSTANTIN.

TEBEN PIUS.

TODOR NICOLAE.

ZUGA PETRU.

EROILOR CUGIRENII RECUNOSTINTA / HEROES FROM CUGIR

Edited by Kev in Deva

The dead of WW2:

EROII (HEROES OF) 1941 - 1945

TABLET 5:

CPT. RADU SIMION.

LT. VLAJCU ILIE.

S. MAJ. BARABANT IOAN.

SERG. ARDELEAN P

SERG. ARIESAN ALEX.

SERG. BALUT EMIL.

SERG. CIUBEAN IOAN.

SERG. CRACIUN IOAN.

SERG. HENEGAR IOAN.

SERG. HOMORODEAN D-TRU.

SERG. JUGARIU D-TRU.

SERG. JUGARIU IOAN.

SERG. MAY SIMION.

SERG. MARGINEAN D-TRU.

SERG. MARGINEAN TRIAN.

SERG. MIHAI GHEORGHE.

SERG. NISTOR NICOLAE.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

TABLET 6:

SERG. OLARIU IOAN.

SERG. PRESECAN C-TIN.

SERG. SEVERA GHEORGHE.

SERG. SIMU AUGUSTIN.

SERG.STANCIU ILIE.

SERG. SUDITU LAZAR.

SERG. STROIA NICOLAE

SERG. SOIMOSI IOAN.

SERG. TARCHILIA GHEORGHE.

SERG. TODERESC PETRU.

SERG. TODORAN IOAN.

SERG. VINTAN GHEORGHE.

SERG.VLAICU GHEORGE.

EROILOR CUGIRENII RECUNOSTINTA / HEROES FROM CUGIR

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Gentlemen :beer:

while having a look in the graveyard of the country church in the villageof Almasu Mic de Munte, where my holiday house is located, I discovered a beautiful handcarved trinity of crucifixes, upon closer inspection I noticed in the center a curtain was drawn over a wooden panel, upon being opened a very nice hand-painted panel bearing the names of the dead from WW1 and WW2 was reveled, I managed to get quite a decent picture of the plaque, but my shot of the entire monument was distorted by a glitch in the camera, however I post a winter photo of the crosses from a small website ran by a local guy, with permission.

A TRANSLATION OF THE PLAQUE:

"This saintly and monumental trinity of crosses was raised in the memory of, and the honouring of the heroes of this village - parish of Almasul Mic de Munte (Small Almasu of the Mountain,) who died on battle-fields, in the 2 World Wars,

1914-1918 and 1939-1945

And all the other Romanian heroes, who died before them, in all the wars, revolutions and uprisings (revolts or rebellion) carried out by the Romanian nation in the duration of its agitated history for

the freedom, the sovereignty and the defence of our dear ancestors homeland.

Fallen as dead heroes in 1914 - 1918.

Danciu Toader.

Crisan Gheorghe.

Jurj Petru.

Crisan Petru.

Bunea Artenie.

Crisan Petru.

Jurl Gheorge.

Lup Petru.

Popa Nicolae.

Danciu Ioan.

Crisan Petru.

Ursica Ioan.

Serban Nicolae.

Juru Petru

Fallen (as dead) heroes in 1938-1945

Lup Ioachim (Invatator / Teacher).

Danciu Aron.*

JurJ Petru.

Bunea Gheorghe.

Jurj Ioachim.

Belea Avram.

Stanculet Artenie.

Toderici Nicolae.

"Of our beloved dead soldiers on all battle fields for homeland

defence, protection of the nation, the glory of our saint?s church on each name, and may God keep all in his heavenly kingdom always now and eternally, and in everlasting eternity AMEN.

This saintly trinity of crosses) was raised on heroes' day, & ASCENSION - Thursday 31st - May - 1979, the priest being IOACHIM DANCIU.

To the raising of the (trinity) contributed THE ENTIRE VILLAGE.

In the next post * headstone to Aron Danci, born in 1921 died in 1942, the last name seems to be mis-spelt.

Kevin in Deva :beer: MAY THEY REST IN PEACE.

* Headstone to Aron Danci, born in 1921 died in 1942, the last name seems to be mis-spelt.

And a more modern one to a soldier, Sergeant-Major CORNEA AUREL from the Communist era who died in 1992

Edited by Kev in Deva

• 7 months later...

As its been a while since this thread was aired I decided to add some interesting information that I found yesterday,

Friday April 13th 2007, Location: The village of Castau, 4 kms from Orastia town, Hunedoara County, Romania.

I had gone there to help my neighbour Ema, (from Deva) with a small job, he was born in Castau, before the family moved to live in Deva 50kms away.

In the village center is located a small monument, things like this always attract my attention, particularly with the dates 1914 - 1919, as Romania proper didnt get into the war till 1916, but at this time this area was under Austro-Hungarian management.

The dedication to the front make reference to the stone being erected in about 1930 the same time as work was being made on the nearby church.

post-950-1176579355.jpg

In the village center is located a small monument, things like this always attract my attention, particularly with the dates 1914 - 1919, as Romania proper didnt get into the war till 1916, but at this time this area was under Austro-Hungarian management.

The text reads: "As a sign of thank to God for the creation of the Greater Romania and for the remembrance of the soldiers from Căstău who died in the 1914-1919 war".

But the really interesting bit was on the rear:

WW1 Names & Locations. Orastie / War Monument.

Monisie Morar + Italia.

Vasilie Gramesc + Polonia.

Nicolae Dubles + Viena.

Danila Doian + Galitia.

Nicolae Rosca + Galitia.

Ioan Stanut + Serbia.

Samoila Samailesc +

George Criznic +

Danila Lazar + Bucovina.

Nicolae Lungu + Viena.

Iacob Criznic + Viena.

Ilie Maniut +

George Samoind + Polonia.

Ioan Strane + Italia.

Petru Simerian +

Nicolae Curea + Italia.

Ioan Udrea + Galatia.

Nic Fenisan +

Ioan Mosie + Rusia.

George Tomesc + Polonia.

Ioan Trifan + Galitia.

Savu si Ilie Simion + (Two Brothers).

Vasilie Popovici +

Ioan Lungu + Galicia.

Ioan Danil + Serbia.

+ + + + MAY THEY REST IN PEACE + + + +

The WW2 Section:

1941 - 1944

Vasilie Danila + Rusia.

Vasilie Andrei + Pesta.

Ioan Cugerian + Turda.

Ioan Stanciu + Calimaniesti.

Nicolae Gramesc + Rusia

Ilie Gramesc + M-Tatra.

Ioan Spinian + Rusia.

Andrei Ioan + Rusia.

Andrei Gh. + Lapadia Mare.

+ + + + MAY THEY REST IN PEACE + + + +

Kevin in Deva.

Hallo Carol I :beer: many thanks for translating the upper section on the front, before I got around to it :P

I presume this name at the base was the designer / maker of the monument :unsure:

Edited by Kev in Deva

You're welcome Kevin.

I've read the older posts and in the one below I would translate sinistrat as "hard-hit by a calamity". What could have happened on 17 September 1944 to be described as a calamity?

The one in the next photo is very interesting because besides having the smaller version military cross he has a full-size headstone, the Inscription on the smaller cross reads:

SINISTRAT (CIVILIAN) CIUPILIGA TRAIAN. R.I.P.

While the larger headstone Inscription reads:

Hero of C.F.R (Romanian Railways) CIUPULIGA TRAIAN

Erected to his memory by his wife Maria.

He was probably killed in one of the many bombing raids carried out by the US AIRFORCE against the main Railway Junction in Simeria about 10kms East from Deva. They US flew missions out of North Africa, and later out of Italy against targets in Romania.

post-950-1146085035.jpg

WW1 Names & Locations. Orastie / War Monument.

Monisie Morar + Italia.

Vasilie Gramesc + Polonia.

Nicolae Dubles + Viena.

Danila Doian + Galitia.

Nicolae Rosca + Galitia.

Ioan Stanut + Serbia.

Samoila Samailesc +

George Criznic +

Danila Lazar + Bucovina.

Nicolae Lungu + Viena.

Iacob Criznic + Viena.

Ilie Maniut +

George Samoind + Polonia.

Ioan Strane + Italia.

Petru Simerian +

Nicolae Curea + Italia.

Ioan Udrea + Galatia.

Nic Fenisan +

Ioan Mosie + Rusia.

George Tomesc + Polonia.

Ioan Trifan + Galitia.

Savu si Ilie Simion + (Two Brothers).

Vasilie Popovici +

Ioan Lungu + Galicia.

Ioan Danil + Serbia.

Apparently they all served with the Austro-Hungarian Army. Dumnezeu să-i ierte!

Apparently they all served with the Austro-Hungarian Army. Dumnezeu să-i ierte!

Hallo Carol I :beer:

with regards the men who served in WW1 and probably all were in the "Regimentului cezar si regesc Nr. 64 Orastie."

as thew were headquartered in Orastie, or at least were called up there for service, before ending up on various fronts.

(The old Austro-Hungarian Barracks remains today but is the headquarters of the Jandamarie (?) and taking pictures of the location are strictly forbiden for security reasons.) :o

I will take alook through a book; "Regimentului cezar si regesc Nr. 64 Orastie."

I was given by Mr. Dorin Petresc one of the authour's (the other Mr. Ioan Lazarescu, sadly deceased), about the regiment, strangely this book was printed privately and given to selected persons, however, I believe there are ongoing negociations with an American publisher for an english version to be produced in the near future.

Kevin in Deva :D

• 3 months later...

Hallo Gentlemen, :cheers:

Yesterday I was traveling with a friend along the road from the city Timisoara in Timis County towards the town of Lugos, as so often happens we got held up near a small country village called "SUSTRA", when a bus in front of decided to give up the ghost due to the +35? heat (see picture)

As we waited, I spotted the village church just down the road on the left, so asking my buddy to wait I nipped across the road and walked down to see if there was any memorial to the men of the village who fought in WW1 and WW2, I got a nice surprise

in front of the church was not one monument but two, with pictures of the soldiers on it!!! :jumping::jumping:

Close ups to follow.

Edited by Kev in Deva

The other side of the Monument.

Most of these gentlemen, if not all, would have served

in the Austro-Hungarian Forces, as this area was under their control pre WW1

and through out the war.

Edited by Kev in Deva

The inscription on the base of the monument:

I must add the quality of the pictures is not the best my own camera is out of order so I borrowed one from a friend,

I will however as soon as the oppurtunity arrises re photograph the monuments for more detail, The WW2 one is in a red stone and it is hard to make out the detail of the names, due to this.

Hello Kevin, wonderful photos tell a fascinating story. I visited the Czech Rep[ublic last year but unfortunately, never took the time to roam the countryside for historical reference. I couldn't help but notice the art work on some of the statues in the church yards and the relief paintings on the monuments. Are these churches mostly Russian Orthodox? or Roman Catholic?

i for one, would be interested in seeing more photos of your beautiful country. Our goal is to travel to Talinn at some point as this was an area of heavy fighting during WWII. It is my understanding that somewhere there, they have excavated a German tank and have fully restored it. I saw photos on the internet but can't recall where it was. Thanks, Joe

Hello Kevin, wonderful photos tell a fascinating story. I visited the Czech Rep[ublic last year but unfortunately, never took the time to roam the countryside for historical reference. I couldn't help but notice the art work on some of the statues in the church yards and the relief paintings on the monuments. Are these churches mostly Russian Orthodox? or Roman Catholic?

i for one, would be interested in seeing more photos of your beautiful country. Our goal is to travel to Talinn at some point as this was an area of heavy fighting during WWII. It is my understanding that somewhere there, they have excavated a German tank and have fully restored it. I saw photos on the internet but can't recall where it was. Thanks, Joe

Hallo Joe, :cheers:

The main Churches here are Romanian Orthodox, Romanian Catholic, Greco-Catholic, with Evangelical, Baptists, etc. . in fact the country is awash with churches, Monastarys, etc. . . with more being constructed every day!! The country Churches in wood are very beautiful, and a great source of Commemorative headstones to soldiers as well, many with pictures of the soldier in uniform.

If it was possible I would like to see all of the monuments and headstones documented for historical purposes :jumping::jumping:

Its not technicaly my country, I just borrowed it after getting married to a beautiful Romanian lady :love:

The inscription on the base of the monument:

post-950-1185451597.jpg

Translation: "This monument was raised during the rule of our glorious King of Greater Romania, Ferdinand I and His August Wife, Queen Maria. The prefect of the Timiş-Torontal county, Dr. Anton Bogdan, by the initiative of the "Choral Society The Ploughman" of Sustra, led by George Ardelean, teacher and chorus leader and Costa Ştefănel, chairman. 1927"