News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soldiers Graves In a Country Village in South-West Romania

Are these churches mostly Russian Orthodox? or Roman Catholic?

There are very few Russian Orthodox churches in Romania as they belong to the minute Russian minority. Most of the churches are Romanian Orthodox, as is the majority of the population (about 85%). Of the remainder, the two most important ones are Roman Catholic and Protestant (4-5% each), the rest being divided between many other denominations. There is some information on Wikipedia about religion in Romania, but I think Kevin gave you a nice summary of the situation.

i for one, would be interested in seeing more photos of your beautiful country.

I may suggest to start with the site of the National Tourist Office.

• Replies 146
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Kevin, thanks for the pictures, It sometimes seems to bring the reality home when there are pictures of the individuals and not just names like in the UK. Names are that, just names, a picture however shows that the person was actually flesh and blood at one time

regards

Alex

Gentlemen :cheers:

thanks for your comments, Carol I, as usual many thanks for your translations as usual :jumping:

The following pictures were taken in the town of Lugoj, Timis County, the monument is that of: General Dragalina.

Again, I apologise about the quality but the sun was against me! :angry:

General Dragalina Monument Front.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

I had to play around with the colour to get some idea of the face.

Here is his face.

ioan_dragalina.jpg

General Ioan Dragalina is one of the famous Romanian generals of WWI. Born in 1860 in Caransebeş, at that time in the Austrian Empire, he studied towards becoming an officer of the Austrian Army. However, following his convictions and ideals in 1887 he resigned from the Austrian Army, moved to Romania and joined the Romanian Army. He was considered one of the most talented Romanian generals at the onset of WWI. Only two days after he was appointed commander of the 1st Army he went to the frontline to inspect the troops and was wounded in the arm. The wound got infected and in spite of being operated, he died two weeks later. It is said that while in hospital he followed actively the operations of his troops engaged in a successful counteroffensive against the 11th Bavarian Division of General Paul von Kneussl.

I guess the bas-reliefs on the monument represent him inspecting the frontline and following the operations while wounded in hospital.

During WWII, his son Corneliu commanded the 6th Army Corps in Crimea and at Stalingrad.

post-950-1185468995.jpg

The other side panel, interestingly some text was removed from the panel!!!

One the "nice" realities of communism: deleting history (remember "1984"? ). The removed words were Maiestatea Sa Regele (His Majesty the King).

This is a fragment of Gen. Dragalina's order to the troops before heading to the frontline on the 11th of October 1916 (one day before being wounded). It reads (the deleted words in red): "Ofiţeri şi soldaţi ai Armatei I-a rom?ne, din acest moment am luat comanda armatei şi cer imperios la toţi, de la general la soldat: ?n primul r?nd .... apărarea cu viaţa a sf?ntului pam?nt al ţării noastre, apărarea vetrei strămoşesti, a ogorului şi a cinstei numelui de rom?n. Cer la toţi cea mai deplină ascultare şi cea mai strictă executare a ordinelor... Trupa care nu ?naintează, sa moară pe loc...

Dumnezeu, Maiestatea Sa Regele şi Ţara vor răsplati pe viteji, iar numele lor va trăi pe vecii vecilor ?n istoria neamului.

Cu Dumnezeu ?nainte! Victoria e a noastră!"

"Officers and soldiers of the 1st Army, from this moment I have assumed command of the army and I seriously demand from everyone, from general to soldier: at first ... the defence with the price of life of the holy land of our country, the defence of the cradle of the ancestors, of the fields and the pride of the Romanian's name. I demand from everyone the outmost obedience and the strictest execution of the orders ... The troops that do not advance to die on the spot...

God, His Majesty the King and the Country would repay the braves, and their names would live forever in the history of the nation...

With God, forward! The victory is ours."

Hallo Gentlemen, :beer:

Last week in the searing +38? heat, I took a wander through the old Deva town Graveyard, this one I believe is for Catholics, in an older part of the cemetary amongst a lot of Hungarian Family Gravestones I found this one near a dividing wall.

Its hidden under a tree and I almost passed it by when I took a closer look, I saw what looked remarkably like

an Iron Cross on the upper part.

Kevin in Deva :jumping::jumping:

There are six names on the marble tablet with dates between 1915 and 1916.

The names are very hard to read in this condition, but I think they are as follows:

+

Andreas Hoffman. Ges. 1916.

Lieutnant Scobel. Ges. 1916.

Theodor Stieler. Ges 1916.

Walter Dre?chlerer. Ges. 1916.

Michael Brenner. Ges. 1916.

Andreas Weber. Ges 1915.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

In my first short visit I managed to locate quite a few graves with pictures of soldiers,

some from the Romanian Communist time and will post them.

But this one really stood out, not sure if he was military but the Big Star and tablet are Bronze.

By the way with regards the heat, these signs are posted on the monument of Decibal directing people to a Red Cross Aid Station for water and Blood preasure checks if they feel ill while out and about, so far Romania has suffered 30 heat related deaths in the last few weeks!!!