News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR / East German Reference Books Data Base

I am attempting to build a data base of the DDR collecting references out there! I will start with mine. Please post any different references you may have.

post-366-1145830724.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by speedytop

• Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very nice DDR(1977) published book on medals and order. All illustrations are in color! One of the best medals and orders books I have seen despite the age of the book.

This catalog contains pricing for medals, badges, pins, and insignia. Lots of black and white photos. Published for the 1998/99 time period.

That is all that I have. Again, please post scans of your books!!!

Kevin,

Could we possibly have some useful bibliographical information on those last two books so that, if we desire, we can seek copies? There is not even an author's or publisher's name on the cover, much less an ISBN.

Thanks,

Ed

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Auszeichnungen der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, Milit?rverlag der DDR

Frank Bartel/J?rgen Karpinski, Berlin 1979. No ISBN

Milit?rische Abzeichen der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, Klaus Feder/J?rgen Wagner/Ralf Swoboda, Milit?rverlag der DDR. Berlin 1988. ISBN 3-327-00523-0

Edited by ehrentitle

Auszeichnungen der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, Milit?rverlag der DDR

Frank Bartel/J?rgen Karpinski, Berlin 1979. No ISBN

Milit?rische Abzeichen der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, Klaus Feder, Jurgen Wagner, Ralf Swoboda, Milit?rverlag der DDR. Berlin 1988. ISBN 3-327-00523-0

Thanks . . . off to ABE books now :)

Guest Rick Research

Bartel & Karpinski is a decent "basic" book (came out in 1979 in the Bad Old Days) but is mainly illustrated in black and white. It's all I've ever had as a DDR reference.

Bartel & Karpinski is a decent "basic" book (came out in 1979 in the Bad Old Days) but is mainly illustrated in black and white. It's all I've ever had as a DDR reference.

If this is a basic book, then the advanced one is still waiting to be written. There isn't much out there on DDR medals beyond a couple of books that Paul has already listed. Yes the majority of photos are black & white, but it still has great value because you get a good idea of what the orignial awards looked like. Unfortunately its a bit hard to find. Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's another to add to the list:

[attachmentid=39858]

[attachmentid=39859]

[attachmentid=39860]

Hopefully that gives the info anyone would need on this one. Quite a number of black and white pics but a good number of color plates as well.

I think this is another must have if you can find one.

Dan :cheers:

Nice addition! Thanks! I have never even heard of this one!

Hi Paul,

Ooooh... a discovery! :P Me like to make discoveries! :lol::beer:

It's really a great book. Wish I was fluent in German. I know enough to get by in the hobby and perhaps then some but not enough to do an entire book. Plus, from what I understand the German language as used in the east got "infiltrated" with alot of, shall we say... Sovietisms which just don't translate well for most folks.

I've tried to run some portions of my DDR references through online translation programs and it spitters and sputs an awful lot! :rolleyes:

But the pictures are terrific, even those in black and white. It goes in to types, variations, documents, you name it but other than a few exceptions it's pretty much just the military awards... medals, badges, etc. Also has a great color ribbon chart but again it doesn't cover every ribbon... mostly those for the military. But some great color plates of big ribbon bars belonging to high up general's and such.

Terrific book if you can run down a copy... I'd highly recommend it.

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Ed - Did you find the book? If so what do you think of it? Kevin

The various books mentioned here (that I didn't have) are on their way. My request for airmail shipping often gets downgraded to slower post. So I should live so long.

The various books mentioned here (that I didn't have) are on their way. My request for airmail shipping often gets downgraded to slower post. So I should live so long.

I ran across another DDR Medal reference that I have, I photocopied it when I was stationed in Berlin in the late 80s. The original had color plates of all of decorations and insignia. Unfortunately I do not believe it is commercially available. Here is the title:

Auszeichnungen der Warschauer Pakt Staaten, Teil 1 Auszeichnungen der Deutschen Demokratischen Republic, Stand 1985, numbered 1252.

It is broken down into six sections:

State Awards - Orden, Preise, Ehrentitel, Medaillen

Non-state Awards- Bewaffneten Organe, Gesellschaftlichen Organisationen.

It has a forwared that has a narrative in German about DDR awards as well as extracts of regulations and an order of presidence.

I'll try to post a couple of scans of pages.

Kevin

Edited by ehrentitle