News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

DDR / East German Reference Books Data Base

It looks like Ralph Pickard, author of Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia: A Collector's Guide, has gotten another steller review on his book. This time from the prestigious Writer's Digest 16th Annual International Self-Published Book Awards. Ralph congrats! To see the review go to: http://www.frontlinehistorical.com/reviews.html

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this forum before but renowned Stasi collector Ralph Pickard published a book at the end of 2007 called Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia; A Collector's Guide. What an outstanding book, I got it in December and am still going though it, there is just to much rich detail to absorb at once. Here is the text from his ad in the February 2008 Military Trader for those who might not be familar with the book:

New book now available about the DDR Ministry for State Security (MfS) awards and documents. This book is essential to East German collectors, researchers, historians or anyone interested in the first book that describes the awards and other unique items worn and carried by members of the STASI organization. This book illustrates in detail some of the DDRs most interesting medals and in particular the award documents presented ot the STASI members during the mid 1950s through the end of the 1980s.

This hard cover 260 page book with dust jacket, has over 400 color photographs including time-line charts relating to the DDR award documents.

To order go to: Frontline Historical

Reviews

large_STASI_cover.jpg

Kevin

• 2 years later...
    • Replies 79
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just spoke to Ralph Pickard and his long awaited Volume II of Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia is being published and will be out at the end of December.

Those of you who are familiar with Volume I an exhaustively researched study of medals and documents issued to the Stasi will not be disappointed with the even larger and more extensive Volume II with over 350 page and 800 photos. The second volume is very comprehensive covering a wide range of Stasi topics including insignia, rank, uniforms, general officers, pay, the Wachregiment „Feliks Dzierzynski“, the Dynamo sports organization, an update on medals and decorations and much more.

Ralph's book is the only major East German collecting reference in English and contains hundreds of never seen before photos. His research covers a number of Stasi areas that are not published anywhere else.

Ralph is taking pre-orders for the book at 79 US Dollars. The regular price is 89 US Dollars.

Ralph's working on updating his website to include Vol II http://www.frontlinehistorical.com , but until then you can PM me and I'll pass your messages on to him.

Kevin

• 1 month later...

I don't know if it's been mentioned on this forum before but renowned Stasi collector Ralph Pickard published a book at the end of 2007 called Stasi Decorations and Memorabilia; A Collector's Guide. What an outstanding book, I got it in December and am still going though it, there is just to much rich detail to absorb at once. Here is the text from his ad in the February 2008 Military Trader for those who might not be familar with the book:

New book now available about the DDR Ministry for State Security (MfS) awards and documents. This book is essential to East German collectors, researchers, historians or anyone interested in the first book that describes the awards and other unique items worn and carried by members of the STASI organization. This book illustrates in detail some of the DDRs most interesting medals and in particular the award documents presented ot the STASI members during the mid 1950s through the end of the 1980s.

This hard cover 260 page book with dust jacket, has over 400 color photographs including time-line charts relating to the DDR award documents.

To order go to: Frontline Historical

Reviews

large_STASI_cover.jpg

Kevin

Volume II has been published and should be available by the end of December. It's larger and more comprehensive than Vol I and covers a wide range of Stasi topics including insignia, rank, uniforms, promotions, general officers, pay, the Wachregiment „Feliks Dzierzynski“, the Dynamo sports organization, an update on medals and decorations and much more. Ralph has set up a blog the provides more information on the book, it is at:

http://stasidecorations.wordpress.com/

• 8 months later...
    • 1 year later...

Gentlemen:

Here's one you may have missed: THE EAST GERMAN ARMY (1968) by Thomas M. Forster (Originally published 1966 in Koln, West Germany as NVA -- DIE ARMEE DER SOWJETZONE). Not a detailed description of medals & awards but an early, 255 page, hard bound, English language reference book regarding the communist East German Army's historical development, organization and equipment, personnel, training, political indoctrination, & operations. It includes a large selection of black & white photographs & diagrams of Iron Curtain fortifications. A rare Cold War document.

Regards,

John

Edited by Long Thrust VI