News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My British Collection

• Replies 86
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

And the rim:

She's definitely been there, done that, seen a ton of history and for all her dings, buffed areas, lost details, etc., I love her and pray I'm able to recover her history. beer.gif

Dan

Well, I think that superscript "S" at the end narrows it a bit:

Fusiliers (I think I see an "F" in there)

Lancers

Hussars

Dragoons

Dragoon Guards

Sappers and Miners?

And Charles isn't at the top of the list of 19th century boys' names.

Edited by Michael Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Only 24 possibilities in the 1/5th Northumberland Fusiliers: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=0&gsfn=charles&gsln=&sx=&rg_f12__date=&rs_f12__date=0&f17=&f11=Indian+Mutiny&f19=5th&f20=&gskw=&prox=1&db=campaignmedalrolls&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gl=&gss=error&gst=&so=3

If you can pick out some letters in the surname we might be able to narrow that.

• 1 month later...

Only 24 possibilities in the 1/5th Northumberland Fusiliers: http://search.ancest...error&gst=&so=3

If you can pick out some letters in the surname we might be able to narrow that.

Still working on it. Haven't lost hope yet. I have a friend with one of those computer microscope dealies who's going to take a look at it next time we head over to Devils Lake. Will keep ya'll posted. beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

I've still not been able to get back over to Devils Lake to get my friend to put his magnifier on this. But I tried again doing scans of the rim of the Indian Mutiny medal. I think last time I just held it whereas this time I used a pair of pliers to steady it for the scans. Got several shots. I'm hoping against hope this can help in picking out at least one more letter or so that would help nail this down. I did them at a resolution of 900.

Keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

Here we go:

post-873-063054300 1294338774_thumb.jpg

post-873-080433300 1294338791_thumb.jpg

The first letter after Chas... possibly an H... at least that's what it looks like to me. After that possibly an O or a U? I'm pretty sure on the H though. But tell me what you think.

post-873-084590500 1294338806_thumb.jpg

post-873-058076600 1294339318_thumb.jpg

post-873-025969500 1294339330_thumb.jpg

post-873-070355400 1294339339_thumb.jpg

Hoping against hope one or more of you can pick out another letter or number that we need to nail this down. But barring that I'll still try and get magnifications made when I'm over in Devils Lake.

Again keeping my fingers tightly crossed! jumping.gifjumping.gif It's like being so close I can reach out and touch it... and yet just out of reach.

Dan cheers.gif

Charles Harris 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Lucknow (but he was a Sergeant)

Charles Hicks 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Relief, Lucknow - Drummer

Charles Holder 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Lucknow - Pte.

Charles Houghton 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Lucknow - Pte.

Charles Howells 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Relief, Lucknow - Pte.

Charles Hulland 1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W Fusiliers Lucknow(but he was a Sergeant)

Getting closer! The proper naming for this regiment is 1st Bn 23rd R.W.FUSrs., which matches the end of the naming quite well.

So assuming that only Privates didn't show rank, we are left with:

Holder

Houghton

Howells

Howells is the most likely, and he's entitled to a Crimea Medal, clasp Sebastopol. His service record is available on Findmypast.co.uk. He's the one without a birthdate.

Edited by Michael Johnson

Name:Charles HowellsCampaign or Service:Indian MutinyService Date:1857-1858Service Location:IndiaRegiment or Unit Name:1st Battalion H Ms 23rd R W FusiliersRegimental Number:4561

Name:Charles HowellsCampaign or Service:Crimean WarService Date:1854-1855Service Location:CrimeaRegiment or Unit Name:23rd Royal Welsh FusiliersRegimental Number:??1

Edited by Hauptman

And now... a very generous gift from Mervyn. These were originally posted here:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46699

They're now safe and sound here in the states and will stay in my family to keep them off the streets but preserve them for history. beer.gif

post-873-025490600 1294584522_thumb.jpg

Mervyn also very kindly included ribbons as well as an African Star. I was able to add the miniature for the WW1 medal and also popped in a Victory medal miniature I happened to have.

Mervyn, you are a scholar and a Gentleman of the old school. I'm deeply grateful and honored that you would allow me to preserve these for generations to come.

Many thanks! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif

Wow, very nice research project - you saved an India Mutiny Medal's Identity, and verified the owner (from a very heavily engaged Crimean War Regiment). What bars was he entitled to on the Crimea? Congratulation Captain Albert

Many thanks! jumping.gifjumping.gif Not sure re: bars yet. Have to wait till I can afford to get the record then hoping more info will come to light. Stay tuned! beer.gif

Dan cheers.gif