News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I do not collect these, but here for reference is a photo postcard of men from the 1st Welsh Regiment. Note the lettering on the washtub in front: "Ratty 7 Coy / 1st Welsh Regt". The reverse is blank, except for printed text "Post Card / For Inland Correspondence Only / Address Here".

Perhaps one of the knowledgeable members can provide an approximate date for this picture and other details for all to read and enjoy?

Thanks and regards,

John

Edited by John Burchell

• 3 months later...

John,

Photo was taken between 1902 and 1905 as the troops are wearing the "Broderick" cap which was never a popular item of head-dress among the troops from it's introduction in 1902, until it's removal in 1905. As it looks like an Home Service Barrack setting it could possibly be taken sometime around 1904+, as this is when the 1st Bn, Welch Regt returned to the U.K. after campaigning in South Africa. The cap itself would be phased out over a period of time as stocks of the new cap became available.

Graham.

• 1 year later...

They amalgamated with the South Wales Borderers to form the Royal Regiment of Wales & that has amalgametd with the Royal Welch Fusiliers to form a new regiment - I can't remember the name, but I think that it's the Welch Regiment, or the Royal Welch Regiment or similar.

I remembered - the new regiment is "The Royal Welsh"

Edited by leigh kitchen

Hello Everyone,

When I read this post I remembered a mount of ribbons from the 1st Bn Welsh Guards that I had picked up several years ago. It may be way off the current topic as I am not versed in this area. When I saw this I had to purchase it. The dealer had his coffee sitting on the corner of the mount :banger: and seemed to care little about looking after this item. So I rescued it, put it in a frame and gave it a home on the inside of one of my collection cabinets. I mounted it inside the cabinet as at that time there were windows in the room where this cabinet was located and I wanted to avoid direct sunlight on the mount.

Someone went to a lot of trouble to put this together and it is one of my favourite items.

It lists the battle honours and shows the different ribbons awarded to the members of the Guards. These are all real ribbons wrapped around cardboard and mounted individually I've identified all of the ribbons but won't list them here. See if you can I.D. them all. I hope the photos are clear enough.

Cheers :cheers:

Brian

Attractive item, but not all of the ribbons would have been earned by members of the Guards regiments, unless eg, a man was discharged unfit from the army because of wounds & joined the Mercantile Marine (rare, according to Howard Williamson, but I have a 1914/15 Star trio plus Mercantile Marine Medal to a Northumberland Fusilier) or was attached to the South African forces duringf WWII.

My father was 1st Bn Welsh Guards WWII & post war Palestine & Cyprus, my uncle Pre WWII & WWII.