News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Order of the Red Banner

• Replies 185
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave,

How did that happen? I would not want to be the one wearing that one on a suspension! I would think that this is a one of a kind mistake!

Nice dark enamel on your Gerds!

Paul,

that ORB has a very dark patina and i had to make the picture a little lighter to see the details, so the color of the enamel is probably a bit misleading.

The one from Dave was converted to suspension because of the regulation changes in 1943. Many Screwback-Orders were converted to Suspension, but rarely was the screwpost not completely removed. Some wearers prefered to keep them as an additional attachment to avoid damage due to swinging.

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Chris thats a beautiful mirror reverse with a lot of character :beer:

Here is my most interesting example so far, a suspension ORB awarded for Bravery to a Cossack Cavalry Officer, battleworn for over a year with some interesting characteristics:

Research in progress? :cheeky:;)

Thanks for your additional informations Gerd. Actually, I have already download a copy of your precious data base last year and I had a look at it. Is it being updated from time to time?

Research is not yet in progress. I'm saving money for the time I'm being in Berlin if ever I find something interesting here. :unsure:

But, when I'll come back home, it should be in my priorities with one of my group.

By the way, here is the last Red Banner I have in my collection. I got it from a forum member I think last year. Only research could tell if it is a made up group.

Thanks for your additional informations Gerd. Actually, I have already download a copy of your precious data base last year and I had a look at it. Is it being updated from time to time?

Research is not yet in progress. I'm saving money for the time I'm being in Berlin if ever I find something interesting here. :unsure:

But, when I'll come back home, it should be in my priorities with one of my group.

By the way, here is the last Red Banner I have in my collection. I got it from a forum member I think last year. Only research could tell if it is a made up group.

Hi Bryan,

i can only recommend you to use this database in the future:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=7861

These are serialnumbers, which are personally observed by forum members and were proved by award cards or other documentation. I can?t guarantee the same for the database, you got from me some time ago, as that one wasn?t completely made by myself.

Gerd

Great stuff people! The Red Banner is one of those medals that makes pretty much any collector stop and go 'wow'. The workmanship on some of these pieces is just astounding and some of the deeds attached to them are incredible. All up, one heck of an award.

Sam.

"Hey Mossy! Nice "Commander Keen" avatar!" :P

Where, oh where, would you find a picture of Krusty with a giant red circle with a line through it? Is there a site that caters to the taste of clown-haters?

On a more serious note, you see groups with two red banners but the second is another red baner, not a 'second awarding' version. Is there a reason for this, such as the 'second awarding' versions were produced after the soldier had been given his medal?

Sam.

Edited by Mossy

"Hey Mossy! Nice "Commander Keen" avatar!" :P

Where, oh where, would you find a picture of Krusty with a giant red circle with a line through it? Is there a site that caters to the taste of clown-haters?

On a more serious note, you see groups with two red banners but the second is another red baner, not a 'second awarding' version. Is there a reason for this, such as the 'second awarding' versions were produced after the soldier had been given his medal?

Sam.

Sam, when someone got a second ORB, it was not mandatory to get an ORB with a number-shield. I have seen a lot of groups with several ORB?s which were simple first award examples, sometimes mixed with multiple award versions.

Here is my new baby. ORB Nr. 114.934 with a tiny "7" manufacturer mark on the reverse, a lovely piece in nice condition. Research is ordered of course ;) Thanks to Eric for letting me have this one!

Hope, you like it:

Edited by Gerd Becker