News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The Order of the Red Banner

• Replies 185
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rick Research

A nive May-June 1943 award-- well worth getting researched! Ask NavyFCO about that. I've never seen a screwback ORB yet that wasn't worth the expense.

Gentlemen,

For some reason which I can not explain, of all of the Soviet awards,I have always had a weakness for the ?mirror back? Red Banners. Here is one of my favorites.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Gentlemen,

For some reason which I can not explain, of all of the Soviet awards,I have always had a weakness for the “mirror back” Red Banners. Here is one of my favorites.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Well, they are slightly bigger, maybe thats why you like them most. Fantastic piece, Wild Card. :cheers:

Thanks for sharing :beer:

Gerd

Thank you for the compliment Gerd. No, it?s not the size; it?s the reverse relief that I find interesting. I know that sounds strange; but that?s it.

Another point is that when the ?mirror backs? were awarded, they really meant something. It would seem that as time went on, Red Banners were awarded much more liberally, and for lesser deeds and events.

Thank you again and best wishes,

Wild Card

WHOWEEEEEEE!!! :jumping::jumping::love:

Just fantastic! You know, that you have to post closeups now, do you? :lol:

Is it researched? Please tell us more about Colonel Gorlach.

@Eric: Here is the picture of your ORB together with his new brothers and sisters :) Which one is it? ;)

Edited by Gerd Becker

Thank you Gerd. Following, per your request, are some close-ups. If you would like more detailed pictures, just ask. Unfortunately, I do not have any research on this group; but am open to any suggestions as to who I could contact for assistance.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Second award #11707. As Paul McDaniel points out in his authentication, ?The bottom of this order has a ?double die? effect caused by a second off-center strike of the planchet at the mint. This has caused the shield to be off-center, the number ?2? to be faint and the two inner cs on the red enameled ribbon to appear doubled?.