News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Flags

Hi all,

Okay, here is my Soviet flag collection. Sadly just two right now... although I have a couple of smaller banners but I'll have to add those later as I don't have pics right now.

I have at least one if not a few finials coming... did some videos for a new friend and he kindly offered to send it/them along to me. Hopefully will be here early this coming week and if so I'll take pics and add them asap. :D

Not sure if these are anything to write home about. Got them a number of years ago and have just had them set aside for the day when I can put them on a pole with finials, etc. for display.

First off is what I'm guessing in an army.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I checked the fly, etc. and could find no markings... no idea if this is the norm for these or what. :unsure:

• Replies 102
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And here's my navy, with markings on the fly... no idea what it says... perhaps one of the members would be so kind? :rolleyes::D

IPB Image

IPB Image

And there's no color difference, just did one with and one without flash... figured I'd just post unless everyone clamors for me to redo the one with flash.

Just getting lazy in my old age! :rolleyes::lol:

And here are the markings:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Anyhow, as I say there may be more to add here soon so keep on checking and with luck I'll have some new additions to this section of my collection.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Great collection of flags, Dan! I especailly like the Naval ones!

Hi Paul,

Many thanks! :D Kind of got them on a lark... the "army" was from the same guy I got alot of my Soviet awards from and the navy I "think" I got from Alexei way back when. But I love navy stuff... although at times I wish it was the Guards type but I know they're out there and are not tooooo pricey. :rolleyes:

Hey, quick question... on the Blockade Runners post... you said "nice group" but didn't say which group you were referring two. I had started it with mine and then there was another full group, then a single, which I think they decided was a copy? Been kind of betwix and between here due to work and several other things... anyhow just wondered which group you were referring to. If it was mine I thank you. :D

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Me like too! :love::love::jumping::jumping::D I've always wanted the top two types and that one on the bottom is also a knockout! Fantastic collection there... keep up the good work! :D:cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Hi all,

Okay... first off, here's those two flags/banners/pennets that I didn't have a chance to post the other night:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Not sure what the second one is but believe the first is from the same youth organization that put out the little pins with the same design as that on the flag. The back of the first one is the same but the back of the pennant is blank.

Now for the new goodies. My package arrived today that I'd mentioned in my original post. And boy was I ever surprised! Here's some of what was in the box.

One Soviet Broad Pennant for a Commander of a Division of ships:

IPB Image

IPB Image

A beautiful full color reference on Soviet flags, banners and pennants:

IPB Image

As well as two Soviet finials:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

There was also a copy of the Brian L. Davis book on TR flags, etc. and a DVD of the movie Go For Broke.

Needless to say I was thrilled! Seems sometimes good deeds are indeed rewarded and I'm extremely grateful to my friend who sent all these goodies.

Also needless to say I think I'm now hooked on the sideline of collecting Soviet flags, banners, pennants and finials. That didn't take long did it? :rolleyes::D

With luck, there'll be more additions to my growing set soon.

Thanks for looking. :cheers: And many thanks to he who sent them! :jumping::jumping::love::love::cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Okay, here's my newest addition. Been waiting a week and been on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was the only bidder! Whew!!!! :P

IPB Image

IPB Image

These are the sellers pics... once I get it and hang it for a while the creases and wrinkles should come out of their own accord.

I think she's a beauty! :love::love::jumping::jumping:

Velly happy! :jumping::jumping:

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Hi all,

Figured I'd add my newest finial as well. It's smaller then the others and is of the sheet metal type but she be purty!!!! :jumping::jumping::love::love:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just a tiny bit of rust on the one side but I can live with that. Was from a very generous friend and I am very grateful.

This stuff can be addicting, you know? :cheeky:

Dan

Very interesting Dan! I have never seen a sheet metal version before!

Paul

Hi Paul,

Have seen them pop up on Ebay once in a while. There were like three of them, well, four as the one I got was in a group of two... one big and one small, over the last couple of weeks. I don't often see the small ones, just the big type.

They're "much" more "finished" than the aluminum types which have something like rough grinder marks all over them which you can see in the pictures... but still very nice.

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here's the latest edition to my Soviet finials. Same sheet metal type but with a different makers mark. :P It's the smaller type like my last one.

[attachmentid=41256]

[attachmentid=41257]

And although not Soviet... since it's Warsaw Pact and a flag... my DDR. Actually tried to get this for a bare minimum bid on Ebay. Someone else bid several times (same person) and bid it up. I'd put in a max bid of $12. Well, I figured he/she wanted it so bad I'd offer it to them if they wanted to bid .50 more. This was in plenty of time for them to bid on it but they didn't do it. So then I wrote them and said if they wanted it more and if the seller would agree I'd step aside and they could pay and have him ship it to them. Still no reply. Tried a couple of times with no luck.

So finally after waiting a day or so I wrote the seller, apologized for the slight delay (I generally pay within a minute or two of winning) and paid for it. By the way his description was written I was led to believe it was a modern copy like you'd buy from flag venders on the street... at least we had those down in Florida.

It took a bit for it to arrive... no idea why as it was out of St. Louis and generally everything from there (have a friend and we send stuff back and forth) generally takes about three days tops. Anyhow when it finally arrived I was surprised and quite pleased to discover that it's a genuine DDR flag.

[attachmentid=41258]

It is multi piece, machine stitched and the DDR state emblem is also a separate piece on each side and also machine stitched. Very well made but without any markings that I can discover.

After waiting for ages for one of these I'm glad I went ahead and got it, although I wish the other bidder hadn't bid it up I think I still did very well on it.

I'm hoping before long to get a DDR finial like this one:

[attachmentid=41259]

[attachmentid=41260]

[attachmentid=41261]

[attachmentid=41262]

I'm also hoping to get a Soviet finial of this style:

[attachmentid=41263]

If anyone has either of these two types... :love::love: the DDR or the last Soviet, that they'd be willing to part with please let me know. Thanks! :beer:

Anyhow thanks for looking! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

Here's my latest acquisition... :love::love: just won on Ebay tonight :jumping::jumping: so will probably be the middle or end of next week before I see it in person. Needless to say this is the sellers pic. I'll have to redo a few of these once this one gets here. Am hoping to manage to get a few poles to mount them on with their finials before too long. Once I do I'll snap some photos of them like that as well.

Without further ado:

[attachmentid=41939]

I just love :love::love: the Order of the Red Banner of Labor pictured on the flag. I'm hoping it's the same on both sides. I saw this a bit ago and no one bid. Didn't have the money at the time. But managed to scrounge up enough this time and think I did good. Only $15.50 plus $5 shipping.

Not sure what it was from... perhaps some factory or something. But I really think it's a beautiful flag for sure... and not one I've seen all over like some of the naval flags on Ebay.

Thanks for stopping by to take a peek. :cheers:

Dan

Nice flags gentlemen. I was wondering if any of them were ww2 issue or earlier? The naval flags are especially nice and the finials are quite nice as well.

Later,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Many thanks! And as far as mine go... I don't believe so. I believe all of mine are say 60's to 90 period.

Dan

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Here's the newest addition to my flags and finials. Have wanted one of these for quite some time as they are a good bit fancier than the ones I already have. love.gif Been waiting for one at a really good price, preferably from the U.S. and this one worked out on both counts. tongue.gifjumping.gif

[attachmentid=48738]

[attachmentid=48737]

Hot off the Ebay presses. Hope to have it by late next week. jumping.gif

Dan cheers.gif

An additional bit of info here. Seems that this is actually a Bulgarian finial. Any additional info would be deeply appreciated.

Edited by Hauptman

Very nice flags and finals!

Would just add a comment - regds the first finals - I hope you have all noticed that they are marked with the (then) current price the first ones 1rouble 15 kopek - the second one, a little more elaborate - 1 rouble 20 kopek.

A rather nice comment on the "stability" of the economy under a totalitarian regime!

One rouble at that time - the sixties - was, if I remember correctly, about 2 US$ :unsure:

Very nice flags and finals!

Would just add a comment - regds the first finals - I hope you have all noticed that they are marked with the (then) current price the first ones 1rouble 15 kopek - the second one, a little more elaborate - 1 rouble 20 kopek.

A rather nice comment on the "stability" of the economy under a totalitarian regime!

One rouble at that time - the sixties - was, if I remember correctly, about 2 US$ :unsure:

Many thanks for your compliments. :beer: I actually got into such things rather late in the game. I'd had some German flags years ago and this past fall got rid of just about the last of them. But then got hooked on Soviet pieces, both flags, banners and finials. Bargains can still be had (luckily) unlike most German pieces, either Imperial (which I could never touch) or TR.

And yes, those marks are actually a reason I have dupes of some of the same finials... am trying to get several different examples of those price marks.

Thanks again, :cheers:

Dan

Here's the only Soviet flag I own or have ever bought. I believe it to be a naval honors flag flown for visits by either the Chief, Black Sea Submarine Fleet or the Chief, Soviet Submarine Fleet. That accounts for its fine condition, I guess. It came from a Black Sea Fleet submarine in Poti, Georgia. Feel free to correct me if you know more about this particular flag.

That's my darlin' wife holding it up for you. Ain't she sweet?

Chuck