News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Flags

Here's the only Soviet flag I own or have ever bought. I believe it to be a naval honors flag flown for visits by either the Chief, Black Sea Submarine Fleet or the Chief, Soviet Submarine Fleet. That accounts for its fine condition, I guess. It came from a Black Sea Fleet submarine in Poti, Georgia. Feel free to correct me if you know more about this particular flag.

That's my darlin' wife holding it up for you. Ain't she sweet?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Beautiful flag and yes, your wife is cute too! :beer:

This one is for the Commander in Chief of the Soviet Navy. If it had two blue stripes across the bottom instead of one, it would be for the Minister Of Defence.

This is from a Soviet book on flags that I have.

I don't suppose you know the name of the Sub it came off of? As that would definitely be a nice additional piece of info. So many flags come without any history at all which is really a shame. :(

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Dan

• Replies 102
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chuck,

Beautiful flag and yes, your wife is cute too! :beer:

This one is for the Commander in Chief of the Soviet Navy. If it had two blue stripes across the bottom instead of one, it would be for the Minister Of Defence.

This is from a Soviet book on flags that I have.

I don't suppose you know the name of the Sub it came off of? As that would definitely be a nice additional piece of info. So many flags come without any history at all which is really a shame. :(

Hope that helps. :cheers:

Dan

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dan. I remembered that it is an honors flag, but that's about it. I regret that I don't know the name of the sub the flag came from. I was buying some stuff from a family back in 2002 and someone said "Do you want this flag, too?" Well, OK, and that's how I came across it.

I'll pass your comment on to Edythe. She'll be tickled.

Chuck

Thanks for clearing that up for me, Dan. I remembered that it is an honors flag, but that's about it. I regret that I don't know the name of the sub the flag came from. I was buying some stuff from a family back in 2002 and someone said "Do you want this flag, too?" Well, OK, and that's how I came across it.

I'll pass your comment on to Edythe. She'll be tickled.

Chuck

No problem... happy I could help on that one. Having the book does occassionally pay off.

Pity you don't have the name of the Sub. Again, I'd dare say the vast majority of flags out there have no history whatsoever. But they're still great pieces and certainly can make a terrific backdrop for our collections.

Great flag holder you have there. Nothing like getting the family involved in our hobbies. :cheeky::beer:

Thanks again for sharing. It's a great piece. Hope one day I can find one myself. I see them on Ebay but I guess I have too much of the Scot in me... have to wait till it's a knock down, drag out bargain before I'll take the leap on anything. :lol:

Dan :cheers:

Chuck,

Very nive I have one tooked away some ware, Ibought it off ebay for ?21.00 from a bloke who was in the soviet union when the wall fell and was invited in to Barracks and just offered random things for sale. One was on of those flags.

THe bloke orginaly wanted ?60.00 but it did not reach its reserve :jumping

Order of Victory

Hi Chuck,

I am with everyone else when I tell you that it is an awesome flag!

Great stuff guys! The 1996 Operation flag is one that I have never seen before, either.

Hi Paul,

Speak of the devil! I just received it literally seconds before I read your reply. :P:beer: And it's very nice... not huge but definitely very well made and the color combination is quite striking. Seems to be in mint condition. Great little piece I just couldn't resist... figured how often would you see one of them. And hey, the price was right... .01 cent! LOL! Well, shipping was $5. That ticks me off a bit... it was actually only $2.46. Flag was wrapped in Saran wrap, put into a manilla envelope, then another and shipped off. But hey, gives him at least a little extra so I'm not complaining on this one. :lol:

Mind you, I don't mind paying a bit extra on shipping when it does actually require someone to go to a bit of trouble to do it... like a glass item or something like a model. But other than that... whenever I sell I charge what the PO charges me... and I try to recycle materials or use their free stuff.

But in this instance, I love the flag and it wasn't that much of a difference so c'est la vie! :cheers:

Dan

Well,

The flag was a steal for 5.01!

Hi Paul,

Well thank you. :P:beer: Just wish I hadn't missed the other one I wanted. That was because I ended up wanting to get something to eat, got involved in the kitchen and ended up missing it by two minutes. :( Was one of the bigger red silk ones with the slogans and seals and such. Went for $22 and my bid was going to be $25! :speechless:;) I hate it when I screw up like that. :banger: Sometimes I think my head just isn't screwed on just right or something. Sigh.

Well, I'm back on the hunt... there is always more game crawling around out there. Just gotta be patient and be ready to pounce when the time is right.

Thanks! :cheers:

Dan

• 7 months later...

I shall try that that to pick up for you in such plan a velvet. However the prices in Russia on such subjects (50-70 years) from 200 up to 500 US dol.and above. It depends on an accessory of a flag. The factory, school, the ministry, district committee KPSS (КПСС)

I shall try that that to pick up for you in such plan a velvet. However the prices in Russia on such subjects (50-70 years) from 200 up to 500 US dol.and above. It depends on an accessory of a flag. The factory, school, the ministry, district committee KPSS (КПСС)

Hi Sergey,

I deeply appreciate the offer... but at least for a while that's a bit rich for my budget. Hopefully I'll be able to manage it in a few months but for now I'm pretty much tapped out.

Just didn't want to see you get one and put out the money till I could reimburse.

Again many thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I'm more able to afford one.

Thanks! :beer:

Dear Наuptman,

It not a problem. If there will be a desire I shall try to make to you the help .

Hi Sergey,

Many thanks!!!! :D Deeply appreciate. Trust me, I will definitely want one at some point and the help will be most appreciated. Love your banner by the way... very nice laurel beneath the portrait on that one... very tasteful design. Not at all cluttered... just right. :jumping::jumping:

I wondered if you might be able to tell me anything more about the flags in my posts # 13, 18 and 24? Would love a translation of the one in #13 if possible. Be happy to do better pics if needed. Also if you have any additional info on my finials and especially if you might know of which factories made these and perhaps know if there's a list with their makers marks on them in order to tell what was made where?

Many thanks!!!! :beer:

Danilo Danilovich :cheers:

Never got fancy and used the Russian version of my name before. :D

Hello ,

Flags it is not my theme for a collecting but I shall try .

Inscription on the first flag( post13) -We Shall execute plans of a party (free translation). I think that it is the award banner or a flag of the party organization .I do not see how many republics on a flag.As it is made in a printing house a banner - this award not for the high big organization Often for greater and high organizations gifts were from velveteen these had an embroidery .А thread contained gold. I badly know English. Probably I am difficult for understanding .

However I tried

The flag ( p 24) probably military doctrines of the Ukrainian armed forces and the country where is used English language. This ornament of a meeting of militarians is possible. It not an official flag

Hello ,

Flags it is not my theme for a collecting but I shall try .

Inscription on the first flag( post13) -We Shall execute plans of a party (free translation). I think that it is the award banner or a flag of the party organization .I do not see how many republics on a flag.As it is made in a printing house a banner - this award not for the high big organization Often for greater and high organizations gifts were from velveteen these had an embroidery .А thread contained gold. I badly know English. Probably I am difficult for understanding .

However I tried

Hi Sergey,

Many thanks for the help on these and for the translation. And don't worry... your English is actually very good. Just keep working on it... the more you use it the better it gets. But trust me... alot of native speakers don't do as well as you. :P

That last one you posted sure is a beaut, but if Christian is correct then someone will probably end up being in deep trouble over it. ;)

Thanks! :beer:

The 163rd flag is pretty impressive! It's interesting that it has been repaired. It appears to have been in the sunlight for many years which destroyed the silk of the flag. I've had a good number of these through my hands over the years. I could easily collect them, but unfortunately that's more of a "rich man's hobby" than even order and medal collecting!

Dave

Shown here are two Soviet flags with a different provenance.

Take it as you wish, but I bought the story as well as the only two Soviet-related flags from a local (now deceased) veteran G.I.'s "collection"...

According to his widow, the claim was that he worked as an assembler for this company in Manhattan from the late 1930s until late 1942. That is up until the time his draft notice arrived in his parent's Nostrand Ave, Brooklyn NY mailbox; Abacrome Inc., located in in Manhattan, and he "stole" at least one of every finished example that crossed his workbench to have as a souvenir of his "sentimentalism". I have found out that this said company produced flags for Great Britain and the USSR as a Lend-Lease contractor, as well as for regular government and civilian contracts of misc flags, banners, etc.

Being a sentimental "collector" of reminders of past jobs and sweat & stress obtained from such, I can relate to this...

Now I will shut-up already and show the aforementioned flags: