News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Question on the Feldmütze and regulations

My question is, was it required by regulation to remove the Feldm?tze when entering into a private home, business or generally indoors as it is removing one's cover with most militaries today?

I ask because I've seen period photos with some German's wearing them in dugouts. Also in Movies they are wearing them inside entertainment halls Etc. It seems it was the Soldat's call on this as I've seen some wearing them and some not.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Mike

Edited by Hun Helmet

In a dugout you do whatever will keep your head warm :P. Seriously though, I believe it was proper to remove your headgear when entering a dwelling, office or HQ. In a soldiers "entertainment" hall, this is not exactly polite company, (unless it is an actual theater) and regulations would probably not be stictly adhered to. In my reenactment unit there is a retired Lt. Col. who, while in Germany was a liason officer with the Bundeswehr. He has told us in the past "A German soldier would never wear his collar unhooked" or "A German soldier never stood around with his hands in his pockets". However I have wartime photos of WW1 German soldiers doing just that. Peacetime is one thing, wartime is often something quite different where regulations are concerned. A soldier would never wear his collar unbuttoned during peacetime or perhaps in Berlin during the war, because he will get in trouble for not wearing his uniform properly. The soldier at the front that has never worn his collar unhooked or unbuttoned because he was hot or irritated, has never really been "AT the front", but behind it. :lol:

Dan Murphy

In a dugout you do whatever will keep your head warm :P. Seriously though, I believe it was proper to remove your headgear when entering a dwelling, office or HQ. ....

Dan, taking a hat, helmet, or whatever you might have on the head when entering a -building- or any structure is sometimes a very American thing. Different ethnic groups, different customs/manners, and different reasoning.

Saluting is an integral part of recongizing rank in almost all militaries. Once upon a time, headgear was removed as a sign of respect, deferral, submission to those in higher status/rank situations. Military commanders learned that sometimes trying to remove a snug fitting helmet in combat was sometimes difficult began practicising the origins of the salute armies use today...raising the hand to the visor or brim of the helm(et).

This is a generality, but often saluting assumes the uniformed solder will be wearing something on his head as part of his uniform. If a helmet, cap, or whatever is there is on the head, the item isn't removed, and a salute given accordingly.

There are of course, provisions for saluting with or without headgear being worn, and until not so long ago, there were some military regulations (for example certain navies) that even allowed officers to give an enlisted man a left-handed salute if the officer's right hand was being used for something else.

Rule of thumb is: if you're in a -public- place the hat/helmet is permissible to wear. That includes hallways, elevators, and so on. In an office, enter, salute, and take the helmet or hat off. In a private home, yes, by all means a hat or helmet should be removed at the door.

Near the front? I've read accounts of troops sleeping in dug-outs with their helmets on, even when there were no bomardments going on. In front-line areas, and combat situations, surivival dictates what is or isn't practical and that includes chosing whether wearing something on the head, buttoning a tunic up all the way, etc. Combat situations have a way of sorting out what the "essentials" are, and martinet officers pushing non-essentials may learn quickly where the bear vacations (and what the bear does in the woods).

Les

Les

Edited by Les