News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting and confusing Austrian tunic

Hello All,

As a side thread to the one I started earlier in the History section....... Here is a strange Austrian tunic... that I'm assuming is a Beamten ?

The tunic is the standard style and patter as the Austrian general's.... except.. under close examination you will see that the tress is totally different than that of a standard general officer's.

I have only found one obscure reference to this style tress and it is in a book called "Der K.u.K. Hofstaat 1858-1918 Album". There are two pictures of Beamten officers which have this style tress.

The confusing part is that they are wearing 'rosettes' instead of stars for rank.. and this tunic is wearing stars.

Any thoughts ?????

Cheers

Mark

Mark,

that appears to be a tunic of a Sektionschef, a senior Military Official corresponding to the rank of Feldmarschalleutnant. This particular rank of military official as did indeed all Intendance officials wore the normal star instead of the officials' rosette.

Regards

Glenn

that appears to be a tunic of a Sektionschef, a senior Military Official corresponding to the rank of Feldmarschalleutnant. This particular rank of military official as did indeed all Intendance officials wore the normal star instead of the officials' rosette.

Hey Glenn,

Sorry for being ignorant... but what 'exactly' is a Sektionschef... i.e. what type of duties, assignments etc....

This is a whole new area for me and my references are about nill...

Cheers and Thanks !

Mark

Mark,

I have had second thoughts about this tunic. A Sektionchef would have worn a dark green tunic with badges of rank as per your tunic. I am thinking that this is perhaps a Feldmarschalleutnant's jacket with the wrong braid attached. I can think of no other high ranking official that wore two stars.

The Sektionschef was the professional head of the Intendance Branch of the Austro-Hungarian Army whose post title was Chef der Milit?rintendantur and was simultaneously the head of the Economics Department in the War Ministry.

Regards

Glenn

Hey Glenn,

Have you seen other examples of where the wrong tress was used ?

I would find it odd that a General would't notice that the insignia was incorrect (braid) ?

Could the tunic be correct... but yet with wrong stars (instead of rosettes) ?? or perhaps some level of beamten that was assigned to a military post ?

This one really has me baffeled :speechless:

Cheers

Mark

ps... great info for Sandro on the Saxon WAF thread........ :love:

Edited by mravery