News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 50
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! Thanks Claudio, dond, and Paul for sharing your examples, fantastic crosses! Amazing groups Claudio! A quick question, on the "Vor dem Feinde" bar there seems to be some variation, from the black version to silver. Are both types accepted as wartime, or like the 1st class is one the "war version" and the other "post war version?"

Hey Jef, I'm not an expert, but on conservation personally I only go after the active, orange rust. There are a few ways to do that, and there have been some great postings on conservation, I'll try and find some for you man! Here's a post of an amazing 1813 EK II, and towards the bottom of this page rust treatment is talked about, hope this helps man,

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3650&hl=rust

Kind Regards,

Steve

Edited by stevo4361

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your kind words.

@ Joe: I don't think you can translate "drool" in Italian, but I surely appreciate when collectors like you make such nice compliments on my collectibles.

The clasp on my bar looks like silver but it's Black painted, because of the flash.

I only saw Black "Vor dem Feinde" clasps.

Here's a better picture of the bar.

Ciao,

Claudio

Edited by Claudio

WOW! Thanks Claudio, dond, and Paul for sharing your examples, fantastic crosses! Amazing groups Claudio! A quick question, on the "Vor dem Feinde" bar there seems to be some variation, from the black version to silver. Are both types accepted as wartime, or like the 1st class is one the "war version" and the other "post war version?"

Hey Jef, I'm not an expert, but on conservation personally I only go after the active, orange rust. There are a few ways to do that, and there have been some great postings on conservation, I'll try and find some for you man! Here's a post of an amazing 1813 EK II, and towards the bottom of this page rust treatment is talked about, hope this helps man,

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3650&hl=rust

Kind Regards,

Steve

Thank you Steve,

Thank God, my rusty FA kreuz isn't that bad as that 1813 EK, I cleaned it with a non-aggressive oily liquid. When I look with a magnifying glass, I see tiny holes but I hope oxidation will stops.

kind regards,

Jef

Hi Peter,

Great cross man, thanks for sharing! On the 8 different variations, I would love to learn more about these crosses, could you please expand on this, time permitting? Would sure appreciate it, love to learn more about these FA crosses, as there doesn't seem to be an abundance of information out there on them. Thanks,

Kind Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,

Here are 8 different versions of the FA Cross 1st class. They can be wiewed in the 112th issue of the Internationales Militaria Magazin (www.vdmedien.de).

KR

Peter

Hi Steve,

Here are 8 different versions of the FA Cross 1st class. They can be wiewed in the 112th issue of the Internationales Militaria Magazin (www.vdmedien.de).

KR

Peter

• 3 years later...
    • 10 years later...

Gentlemen, 

I just purchased a FA 1st class with a screw on back plate. I wanted some opinions on this cross as this is the only thread (mike k post) i have seen with such a FA cross.

Thank you greatly for any replies

Chuck

FA 1 st class obverse .jpg

FA 1 st class reverse.jpg

FA 1 st class reverse 2.jpg

Hi Eric

I'm okay with the a little grime and will leave the cross with such character. I purchased this one as i have an Iron Cross 1st class with the same type of fastener. unfortunately, i have not been able to identify a potential manufacture only some grateful comments by fellow members as these most likely were first produced late war or after. 

regards, 

Chuck

Eric,

Nice cross unfortunately for me  it seems dealers add several hundred dollars when they see a meybauer.  I would like to find a nice Knauer award piece next. 

Thanks,

Chuck 

chuck, if you are patient i believe you can still get a nice knauer example at a good price. in my opinion, for some reason these oldenburg ek equivalents don't seem to generate as much interest as other state equivalents, and there are a fair amount that pop up (up to 12,000 were awarded)

Edited by Eric Stahlhut

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone,

Recently I got this nice FA cross 1st class in the mail and I figured that i should post this in here.

I would appreciate if anyone could give me some extra information on this particular version.

Thank you!

It weights 28 grams without the screwback and 39 grams with it

IMG-3946.jpgIMG-3948.jpgIMG-3943.jpg

• 1 month later...
    On 24/06/2023 at 00:23, Collectorman said:

I would appreciate if anyone could give me some extra information on this particular version.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, Collectorman, but your cross reminds me a lot of these frequently found fakes that have been around for just a few years, often or usually distributed by "certain individuals". Sorry!

:(

7 hours ago, saschaw said:

Probably not what you wanted to hear, Collectorman, but your cross reminds me a lot of these frequently found fakes that have been around for just a few years, often or usually distributed by "certain individuals". Sorry!

:(

I agree. This is a common fake noted by soft detail and overly heavy black paint.