News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914-1918 WAR MERIT Awards

Guest Rick Research

Starting for Gordon: this is NOT repeat NOT to be for those "combat AND home front" awards, but for state awards that were given for rear area and noncombatant home front MERIT, not bravery.

First up: Noncombatant EK2 1914 and Prussian War Effort Cross (Kriegshilfsdienstkreuz or Verdienstkreuz f?r Kriegshilfe) on a late 1930s bar to a noncombatant military (Hindenburg Cross, no swords) type, including Red Cross Decoration 1934-37 and 1938 Loyal Service Cross for civil servants.

[attachmentid=2018]

Next: a lapel mini pair for a "white-black" 1914 EK2 and the WW2 equivalent-- a KVK 2nd Class without swords

[attachmentid=2019]

Guest Rick Research

On this civilian Frackspange, a former zD officer recalled for WW1 service mixes FRONTLINE awards (EK2 and Oldenburg's Friedrich August Cross 2nd Class-- ironically and illogically at the end-- "anything went" in the 1920s) with his pre-war Prussian Red Eagle Order 4th Class, 1897 Centenary Medal...

[attachmentid=2020]

and in 5th place the overly large W?rttemberg Wilhelmskreuz (5,239 awarded with swords to military personnel for noncombatant war merit, and 1,943 awarded without swords to civilians-- the closest equivalent to the 1939 KVKs I can find in WW1 awards!) and in 4th place Saxon Kriegsverdienstkreuz. Approximately 10,000 of these slender chocolate bronze crosses were awarded for--

this is it in its entirety

whatever the king decided, as long as no other Saxon award for WW1 was held-- and if any other was subsequently bestowed, this would have to be returneed! :speechless:

Guest Rick Research

Examples:

Here was a Hamburg military district NCO in "Bezirksfeldwebel" position, never left the city during WW1...

[attachmentid=2022]

decorated with both the Prussian War Effort AND "white-black" noncombatant EK2.

[attachmentid=2024]

Rudolf Sprungmann would not leave the city in the next war EITHER... when he would receive the KVK2 with Swords as a civilian!!! I do not have the award document for that, though I have a congratulatory letter on its bestowal, and it is mentioned in his civilian Mention In Dispatches for saving the Reichsbank there during the first two fire storm raids as just about "too bad you just got the KVK2X and so aren't in line for anything else this calendar year no matter what lengths of suicidal heroics you go to." :angry::speechless1:

Guest Rick Research

Another one from the home front-- Bavaria's Ludwigkreuz.

[attachmentid=2058]

Like the Saxon cross above, it was only supposed to be awarded to those who held no other Bavarian WW1 award, and was supposed to be returned if one subsequently was, but at least in this case the requirements for war merit awards were spelled out.

• 11 months later...

Here is a Sachsen KVK, I was pleased to get this one, but now I am a little worried about the suspension loop, it does not conform with others I've seen. However, there is an example on David Danner's website that does appear to exhibit a similar set up, any opinions would be appreciated?

Interestingly the ribbon does not appear correct, at first I presumed it had been married up with a random piece of ribbon, but the ribbon is stitched in place, odd.

Guest Rick Research

That may well be the mintiest PrKHD Kreuz I have ever seen on the Bavarian pair! :love:

I believe there were several contracts made for the Saxon cross, so that may well be an identifiable maker's version. Not something I have any information on. The same applied with the Prussian crosses, which can be found with various letter markings 9and usually nothing at all) in the "pie wedge" of the suspension.