News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Common Abreviations for Imperial Medals & Orders

Posted · Hidden by Dave Danner, December 29, 2011 - Same request placed in multiple threads
    Hidden by Dave Danner, December 29, 2011 - Same request placed in multiple threads

Hi, I'm collecting the medals given to Atatürk.I could find have some medals.These are Germany, Bulgaria and Australia medals.I reached this site looking for medals.I think you can help me.I'm looking for the following medals;

1) Medal Name : Iron Cross, the German Emperor Wilhelm II

Medal the substance: İron

Medal diameter:45 mm

Date of issue:28.12.1915

2)Medal Name : 1. Ranks Krone der Preussen (Prussia Swordsman Cord) Order--II. Wilhelm

Date of issue:19.02.1918

3)Medal Name : Order of Merit of Austria-Hungary

Medal the substance:enamel

Medal diameter:30 mm

Date of issue:27.07.1916

4)Medal Name :Order of San Aleksandr,Komandör rank.I. Ferdinand

Date of issue:23.03.1915

If you have knowledge of a medal, please send an email.. thank you.. serkan_serin1984@hotmail.com

• 1 year later...

Can someone help with this abbreviation of the Kronen-Orden?

Pr. Kronen-O. 2. Kl., Schwerter u. Stern m.Schw. z.

"Prussian Order of the Crown 2nd Class with Swords and Star ..."

What does the part "m.Schw. z." mean?

The recipient of this award was Char. Vizeadmiral Alfred Begas upon his retirement.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Hi,

he received the swords to his already held peacetime Crown Order 2nd Class and additionally the Star of the Second Class with Swords. Basically "with swords to"

Regards

Glenn

So how would the full award be called exactly?

Prussian Order of the Crown 2nd Class with Swords and Star with Swords?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think any other Imperial German decoration had as many different abbreviations in the official sources than the Herzoglich Sachsen-Ernestinischer Haus-Orden.  To elaborate on what Daniel said:

• HSH: Prussian Army and Imperial Navy / Reichsmarine rank lists, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Reuß j.L. court and state handbooks, Siekmann's Rangliste der Beamten der Militärverwaltung.

• EH: Reichsheer ranklists.

• SEH: Saxon and Bavarian rank lists, Bavarian, Saxon and Baden court and state handbooks.

• HSäH: Handbuch für das deutsche Reich, Deutscher Ordens-Almanach.

• HSEH: The Prussian, Württemberg , Hessen, Braunschweig and Schaumburg-Lippe court and state handbooks.

• SEHO: Anhalt and Sachsen-Meiningen court and state handbook.

• HSachsEH: Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach court and state handbook.

• icons: Sachsen-Altenburg, Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha court and state handbooks.

The Prussian Königlicher Haus-Orden von Hohenzollern also has many abbreviations. The main Prussian sources used icons, as did the Reichsheer and Reichsmarine rank lists in the Weimar era. Then you have HOH, PrHoh, PrHohenz, PH, PHoh, PHH, PKHOvH, PrHvHhz, etc.

• 2 months later...
    • 2 months later...

For some reason, the rank lists that include this medal fail to distinguish between the two. Bavarian rank lists do, but they use icons (a J in a circle for the Jubiläumsmedaille and a PL in a circle for the Prinzregent Luitpold-Medaille). However, I have noticed that the Bavarian Kriegsranglisten and Kriesstammrollen on Ancestry often use "PRLM" when it should be the Jubilee Medal.

I have another question regarding the Roter Adler Orden.

Let's say an officer had the Roter Adler Orden 2. Klasse mit Eichenlaub und Schwertern.

If he was awarded the Stern zum, would the Stern also have the Eichenlaub und Schwertern or just the Schwertern if it was written in the Rangliste as RAO2ExmSTx?

19 minutes ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

If he was awarded the Stern zum, would the Stern also have the Eichenlaub und Schwertern or just the Schwertern if it was written in the Rangliste as RAO2ExmSTx?

Any officer who had the RAO2E would receive the star with oaks as well, right. The star would have swords if awarded for war merit, or "swords on ring" for a later peace time award. The abbreviation you quote looks like a war time award, so: both cross and star with oaks and swords. I don't think this could be any different.

• 3 months later...
    • 2 months later...
    9 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

For Char. Vizeadmiral Paul Freiherr von Reibnitz I found an abbreviation: BFDA "1870"

That would be Baden's Felddienstauszeichnung with a metal bow ("Metallschleife") for the 1870 campaign against France. For how the medal and the metal bows looked like, please see here.

• 3 months later...
    On 06/01/2020 at 19:34, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

For Char. Konteradmiral Andreas Fischer I found an award under the abbreviation BRJM. What does it mean?

Did you ever find out more about Konteradmiral Andreas Fischer? I would be really interested! Thanks ...