News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi guys - am I correct is assuming that this is an early Dk due to the low acorns on the oakleaf - I looked in Gordon's book " the Iron Cross of 1939 " but I couldnt see the answer.

Apologies in advance Gordon if the answer is there but I must have missed it.

How does one tell if an 57er is an early one or a later production model ??

I was told it is by the position of the acorns is this correct ?

Regards

Craig

Edited by Craig Goodwin

Craig,

I'm afraid its not an early one. Early pieces used left over wartime parts and will have a backplate with recessed portions for the hinge block and retaining hook. They also have wider pins, more reminiscent in shape of an Iron Cross pin.

Early 57 pieces may well have been issued in leftover wartime cases, but the cases made specifically for 57 pieces were actually horrible things made in plastic and with foam inserts, just like you'd see with cheaper jewellery.

The point about smaller acorns set further down the stem of the twig is really only particularly usefull at dating 57 Knights Crosses, not the other grades.