News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Wound Badges and other General Awards

Hi again,

I will use this post for displaying and hopefully returning feedback on my wound badges and other TR General Awards as I purchase and receive them, so keep checking for new stuff! I'm sure to get some great info on my collection. To start off I have an early stamped wound badge in black, made of tombak I believe. The bottom catch has been bent, but other than that I think it is a nice early badge. Any ideas on the maker and originality?

Thanks,

Pat

I feel that this wound badge is 100$ original. I cannot find any maker marks/numbers, so I have no idea how to even determine which company made it.

Paul

So....Your saying badge is stamped tombak,not Brass? :speechless: I don't like the picture as it makes

the badge look copper looking...Here is a shot of early brass badge.

My mistake, it is made of brass. I'm still perfecting my metals. :P Sorry for any confusion, a nice Brass badge then? When I get back on the scanner I will try to post a better pic with the white background.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my other Hindenburg Cross, with maker G6. If anyone knows who this maker is, please let me know, as well as any comments on the Luftschutz and belt buckle.

Thanks,

Pat

Thanks Dan :beer:

Hopefully the medal is good, it seems to have good crisp details in the lettering and there are no casting lines (like so many of my badges, sigh). I would assume it is ok, so hopefully the ribbon can find a good home.

Cheers,

Pat

Pat,

i?ll cross my fingers, that its a good one. I have marked the areas, which made me suspicous. Left above the "1938" is that a bumb? The area around the year also looks a little odd on the photo. Additionally there seem to be some tiny holes in the surface of the reverse, can you confirm this?

Gerd

Thanks Dan :beer:

Hopefully the medal is good, it seems to have good crisp details in the lettering and there are no casting lines (like so many of my badges, sigh). I would assume it is ok, so hopefully the ribbon can find a good home.

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Seems there are concerns over the Luftschutz... if you don't mind lets try and confirm on that one before wasting a good ribbon on a bad piece. But if we can't confirm it in time I'll include it and if nothing else you can always pop it back inside a letter hence no concerns on heavy postage and customs and leaping through hoops and wrestling alligators and... well, you get the idea. :lol::cheers:

Dan

Guest WAR LORD

Like Gerd, I have concerns for the medal. These have been faked and the points he has raised are indicative of this.

About the Luftschutz, there are tiny holes, but I didn't even notice them until they were blown up on the scanner, they aren't very visible to the naked eye. I would hope it was just damaged on the "bump" mentioned, but I got this from the bad source so I wouldn't be too surpised if it is bad. Maybe late-war though as I cannot see any casting lines at all, so maybe die-cast version?

Thanks,

Pat

I forgot to mention the "bump" is actually a scrape with a slight indent, like the scratch opposite it on the other side of the 1938. Hope that helps Gerd and everyone else ;)

Pat

Guest WAR LORD

I think your Luftshutz medal is a copy. These turn up often and are not very expensive. I would humbly sugest you replace the piece with an original. They can be found in light or heavier types.

• 1 month later...

I'm not surprised as I got the Luftschutz in my first year of collecting from the notorious "bad" dealer that I got my badges from. It really makes me mad how someone would even sell lower end item fakes as the honour of some "gentlemen" seems to be lacking and degrades the hobby immensely. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Pat

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

It is sad about the Luftschutz, but it figures as it came from the same dealer as my fake combat badges. On a brighter note, here is my newest addition, a 1936 model Black Wound Badge stickpin for the Condor Legion. I posted this on the Spanish Civil War forum as well, but I figured it might get a few more eyes here. This one is highly magnetic and has a bit of rust, so I think it is iron, and it is stamped. Any comments on it being a Condor Legion piece or possibly just a pre-1940 issue Wehrmacht model are very helpful, as I always like to properly ID my pieces, but the dealer and myself are pretty sure it is the 1936 Condor Legion model. I am really starting to become addicted to stickpins, they are just a great affordable item with such nice detail for small items! :love:

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

While I'm no expert I think this looks good. Can't imagine anyone faking such a piece. But then again one never knows anymore. But this one seems to be old, etc. Will have to let some of the more expert members kick in for sure.

I agree with your feeling of not trying to straighten the pin. It would be very tricky to say the least and not worth any potential damage. I mean, it's like with my Blockade stickpin... I merely took it out of it's place in the box and off the pin popped. Age and metal fatigue can do strange things at the most unexpected moments.

And yes, it certainly appears to be the early style. I almost hate to use the term Condor Legion on these as they made bunches and continue to issue them from the start of the war till stocks ran out. There were no golds issued, only one silver and however many black (in too much of a rush right now to run down in the bunker to check the refs). But as we all know tons more are in collections, etc. and that's the reason.

I'm still hoping to add a black and a gold to my FS set and would love all three SP's to go with them. I keep adding to my wound collection over time. Still need an original gold but not in any rush. Hoping to come across one as a sleeper in a junk shop or something someday. For now the copy I have fills the space. and at some point I want to finish off my 57 issues.

Also need to get packets and cases at some point. I used to have on case and several packets... think I have one packet left and that's about it.

Very nice addition there Pat. You ever get tired of it give me a shout! :P:beer:

Dan :cheers:

Edited by Hauptman