News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Waterloo Medal 15th King's Hussars

Hello Gentleman,

Another medal I managed to pick up this week is this beautiful Waterloo medal. This one with the early brass ring. Named to James Town of the 15th King's Hussars (light cavalry I believe). Does anybody have the regimental history of this units action during the battle?

I hope this will be a que for other members to post theirs! :beer: I think these medals were wonderfully crafted.

IPB Image

• 2 weeks later...

Nice medal Tom

Any more photos ?

I would certainly like to see some more Waterloo stuff as well as some Naval & Army General Service Medals. One area that I would certainly love to collect, but financially just out of my reach at the moment.

:beer:

Agreed! This Napoleonic-era stuff is VERY lovely, both in a historical and visual sense. Unfortunatly, they are always out of reach, well for me at least.

I would imagine research on these would be exceedingly difficult to do. But, as has been proved here before, certainly not impossible. I have a few bits and pieces on the battle of Waterloo, i'll see if i can find mention of the 15th KH.

Sam.

According to Good old gordon, there were 392 of the 15th Light Hussars at Waterloo, in the 5th Brigade with the 2nd and 7th Hussars, KGL, under Major General Sir Colqhuon Grant (one of Beakie's favourites).

They suffered 109 casualties according to Wellington's June 18th despatch, including 19 missing, which suggests some heavy and confused fighting.

I'll see what else is out there asap.

Peter

"At Waterloo the Seventh Hussars were commanded by Sir Edward Kerrison and brigaded with the 15th Hussars under Major General Sir Colquhoun Grant's Fifth Cavalry Brigade. They were positioned to the west of Hougoumount behind Byng, Cooke, Maitland and Halkett. "

Also, Google "www.royalengineers.com" and in the index click on "15th hussars" for some re-enactors' info. on the unit.

lovely medal!

Peter