News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Opposition Communist Party medals and document

Riley1965

• Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, somewhere I have photos. They are absconding.

"Absconding"? You mean they are running away from/hiding from something? Their past, perhaps?

My opinion is that the Communist party in the current Russian Republic is currying favor(votes?) from ex-servicemen and their families by creating/awarding these medals.

:)

Guest Rick Research

Disturbing. Sad, really. Frightening and pathetic at the same time.

Though I am glad to see a good number of the proud old warriors still only wearing their REAL awards, which remain uncheapened by the mock varieties.

I would ask anyone who is THERE who can speak to one of these dream-dwellers to ask them what they are PAYING for these Alternative Reality/Parallel Universe things.

It seems there are more and more and more and more of them

so their whole purpose must be "revenue enhancement" to keep the Party Payroll afloat until they've saved up enough to reanimate Stalin's corpse.

We'll know they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel when Anniversary Of Trotsky's First Piano Lesson type "awards" start coming out. :blush:

I won't argue that these are not without curious historical significance--the FUTURE is certainly going to wonder, for sure.

One is reminded of European "royal houses" which still flog "House Orders" though they haven't been in existence since the 19th century. Self delusion can be a potent mix with vanity.

Reminds us, I hope, of the veterans' faces which we sometimes see in the orders booklets or personnel records as the few survivors are today . . .

:off topic: Nice to know they put the vodka glasses down long enough to fight against the Germans, :P

and I don't begrudge them every drop they drink today, and for as long as they live, they deserve it.

"A Toast to their Old Comrades, Past and Present, May they never be forgotten" :beer::off topic:

Actually, Rick, one is reminded of all the unofficial "anniversary" medals that plague dealers' sites and veterans' chests in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. Battle of the Bulge Medal?? Bomber Command Medal?? Cold War Medal??!!?? Poignant sociology at which we, as phalerists, may want to snarl, but should we? But these, like VFW, or American Legion, or Society of the Cincinnati medals tell us a lot about the recipients and the power of these things.

But at least these particular folks did something important, and maybe they earned a few extra gongs? Service and awards that the contemporary government would rather ignore?

:off topic: maybe but to those who earned their awards a hearty :beer: anyway.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Rick Research

Right you are about all the last several years' baldly commercial kitsch ripoffs. :beer:

I have ZERO "issues" with UNIT ASSOCIATION commemoratives or anything similar issued within such bodies so that Old Warriors from Unit X can spot each other at events. Esprit de corps is entirely different than commercial doohickory.

In my encounters with local veterans wearing such junk as the "50th Anniversary of WW2 Victory Medal" (offered framed and with nice little "certificates" direct from the manufacturers for upwards of $85 :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: ) in every case I have been informed that said veteran did not buy the kitsch himself, but was GIVEN it by some well meaning kin or friend who thought it was acceotable and normal and legal and authorized to just BUY "awards" and that pinning them on was OK.

"I thought it was official and I missed how to apply for one" is the statistical response from my survey sample. Odd, given how rarely--if ever--our veterans wear THEIR Real Awards.

But these, like VFW, or American Legion, or Society of the Cincinnati medals tell us a lot about the recipients and the power of these things.

Thanks for mentioning those organizations. I felt the same way but was afraid to say so without starting a flame-a-thon.

I see no difference between the two organizations (Umalatova vs. VFW). Having said that I'll not voice my political opinion further and agree to just disagree.

I really do NOT want this to go political, lest it get "nuked" by the ever-vigilant Forum Powers That Be.

A better analogy might be all those diverse post-WWI German veterans' groups or the "Freicorps" units that excite so many on the other fora here?

In any case, snarl or no snarl, these are important and interestimng awards which mean a great deal to the people who wear them.

Wonderful pics, Ed! Thanks a lot for posting them! :jumping:

I love seing these old vets wearing all their Medals, old and official, as well as the new unofficial ones.

If they wear them that's because they are important and have some meaning to them, so for everything they did for us all I suppose they deserve the right to wear whatever they wish.

Dolf

• 5 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

And . . . while he may not relate directly to the question at hand . . . damn . . . I mean, damn!

[attachmentid=49981]

Hi Ed,

Just wondered if you or any of the other members noticed that under this officers Orders and medals he has curved stripes of what looks like grey cloth. Wondered if anyone has any idea why?

Dan

Hi all,

My latest acquisition in the Umalatova collection. I go into more detail at:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=8255...533;entry100640

But thought I'd pop the pics here as well.

[attachmentid=49983]

[attachmentid=49984]

I can't wait to see it in person :jumping::jumping: and compare it :unsure: with normal Soviet issues including 1985's.

If anyone has any more info on these I'd be very interested to hear.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

Most probably because rather than ruining his uniform with a lot of holes he prefers to hang his orders on some cloth I guess.

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

Hey, that's definitely one good reason! :P:beer: Just never seen this done before and although I'd seen the pic before I never noticed this aspect of it till just now. I know that way back when the original Red Banners (if I remember correctly) were worn on a circular piece of red cloth or ribbon... or was it the early Orders of Lenin? Can't remember which... my brain is a bit foggy. Too much sugar today and too little sleep last night. :lol:

I also considered that it was a way to lay out a pattern for placement of the awards. I know that when I was in NJROTC one of the biggest chores after washing, drying and pressing my uniforms was in putting all the insignia and awards back on just so in their proper positions. Sometimes it would require several tries to get everything "just right".

But I do wonder why he wouldn't use cloth to match the color of his tunic? Kinda stands out this way. :unsure:

Very interesting nonetheless. :cheers:

Dan