News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Canadians in 1918? Who, what, when, where

I got this the othe day. At first I though Royal marine Red Hats-but now I think Canadians-the collar brass says "C over a 10". The ribbons look like war medals-and something solid. The shoulder title is unreadable. Does anyone know who these men are? Thank you.

The one on the left looks like he has the Military Medal.

The patch on the arm of the man on the right looks to confirm him being Canadian but as we can't tell the colour I can't say which division (the large oblong denotes the division). The colour of the smaller oblong would show the brigade but again, we need to know the colour. The shape of the smaller patch (four possibilities) denoted the battalion.

In the booklet I have, it does say that Engineers had the initials CE on the patch whereas machine gunners had the patch surmounted by an arrow.

Divisional troops e.g. signallers wore the patch only. Has the man on the right only the patch?

Here are some Canadian patches http://www.militarybadges.info/colourpatch...dmin/canada.htm

Hope that's ome help.

Tony

I've just realised they're wearing British tunics, that no way means they aren't Canadian as British tunics were made in Canada, those belts look Canadian issue.

Tony

The C10 collars mean that they are definitely 10th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, and the cap badges match for that regiment.

The 10th served in the 1st Canadian Division, so the lower (divisional) patch would be red. The smaller red square above shows that they are the fourth unit in the Second Brigade of the 1st Division.

See the excellent article at Canadiansoldier.com Canadiansoldier.com

Guest Rick Research

What, nobody noticed the guy on the left is packin' a LUGER??????

I think his second ribbon is that unofficial French souvenir one, red white and blue stripes with a yellow center stripe...

what it was eludes me, but sold as a PX item before the official medals came out. I've got a pair an American brought home with one, someplace.

Michael,

Great site and mid 1916 onwards has narrowed down the year a bit. Must be pre Nov. 1918 and no 14-15 Star ribbon (issued in 1917?) so they either came out in 1916 at the earliest or it's no later than 1917/early 18. Only guessing though so please take no notice.

Rick, I thought they all packed a Luger. Can you tell who owned before the Canadian or at least his rank? :o

Tony

What, nobody noticed the guy on the left is packin' a LUGER??????

I think his second ribbon is that unofficial French souvenir one, red white and blue stripes with a yellow center stripe...

what it was eludes me, but sold as a PX item before the official medals came out. I've got a pair an American brought home with one, someplace.

Hallo Rick, and if late world war 1, was it usual to see a leather holster on a webbing belt ?? the holster could have been for the long barreled Webly or a Colt? the flap appears to have been cut away as well.

And with regards "The one on the left looks like he has the Military Medal." from Tony, the guy to the right has a similar ribbon on his tunic, visible when you highlight the picture.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

• 2 months later...

Hello,

Just to add a note for the Revolver that the man on the left is issued with, it appears to be the Colt New Service Revolver in .455.

The Holster is correct and has not been modified. Holster issued to Enlisted Memebrs did not have a top on them. Officers Holsters did.

This soldier was probably a Machine Gunner. Can not tell becuase you can not see the cuffs. They were commonly issued pistols for defence.

It is nice to see the man on the left with the Luger and Holster. I wonder if it still resides somewhere in Canada?

Cam