News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello ladies and gentlemen,

I have a few more Imperial items to post for discussion, so I will use this topic for my current and future Imperial medals as they come in, so keep checking for new stuff! :P

First up, a Kyffhauserbund 1914-1918 medal. I am missing the ribbon so if anyone would like to post the correct ribbon (and proper name of this medal) that would be great. I think this is an official award, and any info is helpful.

The reverse, with a lengthy spiel in German. I believe this Kyffhauserbund medal was an official issue for members of the veterans association who were in ww1. Any translation and info is great.

Pat

Here is my Prussian service medal (Preussischer Landes Kriegerverband) which has seen better days. I think these originally had a "25" attachment to them, but maybe they weren't on them all. I believe this is a long-service medal for the Prussian Army at the turn of the century. If anybody knows when this medal was made and any more information on it I would be grateful.

Thanks,

at

Here is another badge along the same lines of veterans awards, a W.V.R Dresden 1922 badge with an edelweiss flower in the center. Does anybody know what W.V.R. stands for? Is it related to the Stahlhelm or Friekorps? I am assuming it is a veteran's group from Dresden, but any further information on this subject would be great.

Thanks again,

Pat

All of the awards shown here appear to have been awarded by veterans organizations, including the Prussian Landes Kriegerverband piece. I have never seen the Saxon badge before, but it is a nice piece. Glaser was one of the suppliers of imperial orders to Saxony before and during WW1.

Dan Murphy

i have 3 of those service ribbions with the crest on them! one has no attachment on the top the secand has a 25 years clasp and the third has a 50 year clasp on it! mad eby the same maker!! very nice vet peices!!! :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the responses, I too have seen pics of the Prussian medal with the different clasps, nice pieces indeed! I just got my Ehrenlegion medal in the mail (thanks Tom Y) to match my ribbon bar that was missing the medal :( . My only question is now how was this mounted? I attached the medal via a small ring onto the holder in the ribbon bar device and it doesn't seem right. The sword on the ribbon is upside down, and when you fold the ribbon over to get it right, it covers the pin on the back. Any help on this is welcome. Here are some pics to show you what I mean.

Pat

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

I picked up this neat little medal at a trinket store today for next to nothing, and I was wondering if anyone recognizes it. Imperial is not my forte, but I couldn't pass it up, so any help is great. It is a Bavarian award, with the dates "25.8.1846 - 13.6.1886" with a coat of arms with an N in the center, and King Ludwig 2's signature. On the back is a profile of Ludwig II Koenig V. Bayern with his title around the edges. It may not be a military medal, but I don't know. I really like this award and would really appreciate an ID and any relevent information on it as well. I hope some of you Imperial fanatics ( a growing number!) can figure this out!

Cheers,

Pat

Well, I'm not sure of the Bavarian shield with the N in the middle (unless it stands for Nymphenburg where he was born, or Neuschwanstein his most famous castle), but the dates on the medal are the dates of Ludwig II's birth and death.

Thanks Mike,

So it is probably some type of memorial medal for King Ludwig 2 then. I have also found out after much digging that it was awarded in bronze and silver grades, and mine is definitely a silver as the bronze also comes with a purple ribbon, whereas the silver has the red and white. It has the feel of a well-minted silver dollar. Hope that helps for some more info on the ID and details of the badge, and please share any more info if you have it!

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Pat,

I also have one of these Ludwig medals, in silver, but without ribbon. My father-in-law gave it to me years ago, claiming he found it hanging from a wine bottle. I assumed it was modern, and have had it on a key chain ever since. I'd be interested to know the history of this thing too.

After further research, all I could find besides whats already mentioned on this medal is that is was awarded in 1886 and a civilian award, my guess is to supporters of the crown. As for rarity, it does not come up often in searches on the web and the only estimate of value was a guess of 50 British pounds for the bronze and "more" for the silver. I couldn't find it specifically in the Niemann catalog either, but I did see some medals with the same reverse with the profile of King Ludwig II and the same inscription, but these were going for some serious money. The white threads on the ribbon do not glow under blacklight as well, so it is likely an original piece from the late 1800's. A tricky one indeed!

Cheers,

Pat

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, here's a kind of a loose translation of the Hindenburg quote on the Kyffhaeuserbund medal : "Upright and proud we leave the field of battle which we sustained for four years against a world of foes." Cheers, Chris B.

Edited by Chris B.

They are wine bottle tokens and have been identified in the JOMSA as such.

Thanks Ulsterman and Sachsau for the info and clearing that up for us on that Koenig Ludwig 2 medal. Well, I guess a keychain is a good use for it afterall, eh Vince? By the way, what is the JOMSA? And thanks to Chris B for the translation as well. Feel free to post on any of these items as well and hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers :beer:

Pat