News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some Russian Federation awards:

Hauptmann

:jumping: Hey Dan, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :jumping: First, it's Umalatova. Next I didn't realize that the Opposition Communist Party issued OPW's. That's the first I've seen or heard of. Is there a complete list of OCP medals?

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

• Replies 62
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:jumping: Hey Dan, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! :jumping: First, it's Umalatova. Next I didn't realize that the Opposition Communist Party issued OPW's. That's the first I've seen or heard of. Is there a complete list of OCP medals?

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc,

Good to hear from you my friend! And many thanks for the HB! :beer: Another year older... I hope at least a tiny bit wiser. :P

And many thanks for confirmation on the name... I'd thought for sure it was Umalatova so glad I'd gotten it right from the start. I know it refers to the lady in charge of the Party over there and with a proper name always want to get it right.

As I say this was also the first I'd seen. At first I wasn't even sure what it was... the Umalatova's didn't even come to mind for some reason. But then I mentioned it to Dave and he pointed out the thread on SAF. I went over and read that and learned a good bit more than I knew but still alot of questions on them in my mind.

I don't know if there's a complete listing or not... I think they at least attempted this over at SAF but just far too zonked to hunt it down right now.

I believe they also issued Red Banners and I think Dave (and now me! :cheeky: ) are dying to get ahold of one... but it's a piece I've yet to see. I believe she also reissued some Orders of Lenin. As I recall it was a large discussion on all this over there.

Again not even sure if they issued a 1st and 2nd of this one or just one to cover it all.

The thing that really grabbed me on this is the reverse... just really looks cool for some reason. On the obverse the one major downgrade in quality if you will is they used "cold" enamel instead of "hot". You can definitely see a difference. Can't wait to compare them in person. And seems there are at least four variations of them as far as the reverse goes!

Definitely not something that seems to pop up very often so figured I'd jump on it. I think I did okay price wise... basically I'm very pleased. Couldn't beat it for a nice little birthday present to myself. :jumping:

Thanks again! :cheers:

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, guess what? :P I just got another Umalatova OGPW 2nd! :jumping: And for a few bucks less than what I paid for the last one and from the same seller. :jumping: Kinda gettin' attached to the little guys! :lol:

[attachmentid=51202]

[attachmentid=51203]

I expect this will be like the last one. The enamel has a look like on candy apples. Sort of like that used on some of the Hungarian Orders. It's got a good weight to it. And although the nut looks cheap it's actually a good thick piece that fits the screwpost well. The inside of the nut is smooth with a step down as you can see on my pics above in post #25 and the outside as you see on these pics is a pebbled surface.

This one is numbered 5476 so a "bit" higher than the other one I have. Also you can see that on my first the maker's mark(?) is at the top center... this one is at the left center. Also on my first one the serial number is curved like a smile... whereas this newest one is straight across.

So seems I have my first variation if you can call it that. :jumping:

I actually lucked into this one as I'd had it in my favorites... was relaxing for a bit and decided to check the auctions. I clicked on this one first and lo and behold it was ending in just over 11 minutes. I waited... took careful aim... sniped it and got it right between the eyes! :P Needless to say I'm very glad I checked when I did or I'd have missed it.

All in all I was quite surprised at these as far as the quality, etc. and am going to continue to be on the lookout for more. I do hope a first class pops up at a good price at some point.

Dan :cheers:

Hi all,

I'm waiting for the absolute final confirmation, but looks like I've not only won the second of those Umalatova OGPW... but I should have four more coming to me as well... so I'll have a total of six when all is said and done.

I hope to have pics of those other four very soon. Am hoping there will be more variations. Really love these things. Once I have them all I'll have thirteen OGPW total. Never thought I'd have that many. Now I just can't get enough of them. Sure hope one day I can get the early hanging types as I really like those... but at the very least more type 2's would be terrific. Great awards. :jumping::jumping::love::love:

[attachmentid=52070]

[attachmentid=52071]

[attachmentid=52072]

[attachmentid=52073]

The two I already have and these four all seem to have minor variations on the position of the mint marks and the serial numbers.

Methinks I'm definitely hooked on these little guys. :P:beer:

Yuri shows both the Medal "Jasorat" and the Medal "Sukhrat", but with little information.

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Uzbekis...rat/Jasorat.htm

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Uzbekis...at/Shukhrat.htm

My notes show the "Sukhrat" as a labor award, but end there :(

We need to know much more (though Yuri does have a nice list of awards, Megan ignores Uzbekistan entirely!!).

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Yuri shows both the Medal "Jasorat" and the Medal "Sukhrat", but with little information.

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Uzbekis...rat/Jasorat.htm

http://www.netdialogue.com/yy/Asia/Uzbekis...at/Shukhrat.htm

My notes show the "Sukhrat" as a labor award, but end there :(

We need to know much more (though Yuri does have a nice list of awards, Megan ignores Uzbekistan entirely!!).

Hi Ed,

Many thanks for the info. Well, looks like I've done stepped into fairly unknown territory. They're beautiful pieces and I do hope more information will come to light down the road.

I also had found the Sukhrat was a labor award but could not find anything much to speak of about the Shukhrat.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Okay, now that I have my scanner I'd decided there were a few select pieces I wanted to scan and repost new pics of. These are three of them. These are those three Russian Federation awards and by redoing them, especially the reverses I'm hoping someone can translate them as we were never able to do that before.

[attachmentid=55736]

[attachmentid=55738]

Hi Dan,

Great scans and thanks for following up--I was really curious to see what the third medal was from the earlier round of photos. So, here's what I deciphered; they're all service and/or campaign medals, so they read (in the order that you posted them):

'For service in Tajikistan' (think we already knew this one)

'For service on the border' (this is the one we couldn't make out before)

'For service in the Caucasus'

So...my initial hunch was wrong on that second one, and it's not for service in a particular region. Not all sectors or border districts have their own campaign medals, so I'm pretty sure that the second medal is a semi-generic one for service in one of the other, 'quieter' districts like the Far East, Pacific or Northwest. In that regard, I did find it interesting that the second one had no swords (unlike the other two), and a wreath device instead, so I guess that would also tend to backup my 'quiet sector' service hunch.

Either way--great trio! I can't imagine that there are too many more you're missing (if at all!)

Gaffken

Hi Dan,

Great scans and thanks for following up--I was really curious to see what the third medal was from the earlier round of photos. So, here's what I deciphered; they're all service and/or campaign medals, so they read (in the order that you posted them):

'For service in Tajikistan' (think we already knew this one)

'For service on the border' (this is the one we couldn't make out before)

'For service in the Caucasus'

So...my initial hunch was wrong on that second one, and it's not for service in a particular region. Not all sectors or border districts have their own campaign medals, so I'm pretty sure that the second medal is a semi-generic one for service in one of the other, 'quieter' districts like the Far East, Pacific or Northwest. In that regard, I did find it interesting that the second one had no swords (unlike the other two), and a wreath device instead, so I guess that would also tend to backup my 'quiet sector' service hunch.

Either way--great trio! I can't imagine that there are too many more you're missing (if at all!)

Gaffken

Hi Gaffken,

Thanks so much for all the help on these. And your theory sounds good to me. But I have seen some similar Russian Federation medals with the eagles, etc. on them but for service in other specific areas, etc. They pop up on Ebay on occassion. Next time I see one I'll either try to get it or failing that I'll save the pics and info and pass it along. In fact if you're intro'd I'd be happy to pass the auction along to you if I'm unable to buy... which more often than not seems to be the case. I guess I'd be termed a "bottom feeder" much of the time... picking up little stuff for cheap when I can't afford the big stuff. But I've also been extremely blessed in finding some really great pieces, some rare and worth a good bit, for fairly cheap prices.

Anyhow let me know and I'll be happy to let you know if I see any.

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

I'd thought I'd posted these but couldn't find them when I looked. I believe they're Umalatova's. Got them from Vic quite a while back (Thanks again my friend!!!! :cheers: ) and when looking at them recently I realized I didn't have a translation... well, most importantly who they were issued to so thought I'd pop them up in the hope someone could tell me.

Hi Dan,

The first recipient would be 'Pavlov, Sergei Nikolayevich' and the second [to the Ushakov medal, that is] would be 'Petrov, Igor Danilovich'.

(assuming my eyes aren't fooling me) :unsure:

Great docs!

Gaffken