News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heres som information on the Exibition of National Economy Achievements:

Russian abbreviation VDNH means "Exhibition of National Economy Achievements". Recently it was renamed the All-Russian Exhibition Center. It is a very large complex containing exhibition halls, rest area, and a giant trade center. The center is a "must" for Moscow guests. As for Muscovites, they enjoy spending their time there.

The unique ensemble of the exhibition area had been forming for several decades. The first All-Union Agricultural Exhibition was opened in Ostankino on the 1st of August, 1939. The exhibition occupied 136 hectares and looked like a town with a large park, ponds, numerous pavilions and agricultural constructions. It included 250 large and small buildings. The wide alley was conjoining the main entrance and the main pavilion. Close to it there was a 52-meters tower with a 13-meters statue depicting the tractor operator and collective farmer holding the wheat sheaf above their heads. The sculpture became the symbol of the exhibition. The exhibition was a very successful one. From the 1st of August till the 25th of October, 1939 over 3,5 million people visited it.

From 1941 till 1954 the exhibition was closed, and in 1954 it was reconstructed. The territory of the exhibition complex was enlarged, the number of buildings increased to 383, and the new entrance on the territory on the complex was conveniently conjoined with the metro station. The new octagonal square near the main pavilion completed the exhibition complex ensemble. The new square was connected with Mechanization Square by two fountains - "The People's Friendship" and "The Stone Flower". The pavilions that were put up in those times were notable for their pomposity.

The All-Union Exhibition of National Economy Achievements that took place in 1958 combined the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition, the Industrial Exhibition, and Construction Exhibition.

In 1960s-1980s the exhibition complex was considered to be unique and grandiose. It presented all the scientific and industrial achievements of the USSR. It was impossible to see all the exhibitions and fairs during one day. The total length of all the VDNH alleys equaled 65 kilometers, and visitors had to take special excursion buses to travel around the exhibition complex. In summer the exhibition territory was turning into the giant garden with various attractions, the dancing verandah, the Green Theater, and two summer cinema halls. In winters the guests were entertained by horse riding. Near the Northern entrance the famous sculpture "Worker and Female Collective Farmer" by V. Mukhina was placed. The sculpture was made in Paris in 1937.

In 1989 the exhibition hall got the status of All-Union, and since 1992 it is called the All-Russian Exhibition Center. Nowadays it successfully combines commercial and educational goals. Some pavilions are rented by trade companies.

The All-Russian Exhibition Center is the most popular exhibition and fair complex of the country presenting the economical, scientific, and cultural achievements of Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.

But im not sure if that helps but gives some background to the medals.....

Order of Victory

Heres som information on the Exibition of National Economy Achievements:

Russian abbreviation VDNH means "Exhibition of National Economy Achievements". Recently it was renamed the All-Russian Exhibition Center. It is a very large complex containing exhibition halls, rest area, and a giant trade center. The center is a "must" for Moscow guests. As for Muscovites, they enjoy spending their time there.

The unique ensemble of the exhibition area had been forming for several decades. The first All-Union Agricultural Exhibition was opened in Ostankino on the 1st of August, 1939. The exhibition occupied 136 hectares and looked like a town with a large park, ponds, numerous pavilions and agricultural constructions. It included 250 large and small buildings. The wide alley was conjoining the main entrance and the main pavilion. Close to it there was a 52-meters tower with a 13-meters statue depicting the tractor operator and collective farmer holding the wheat sheaf above their heads. The sculpture became the symbol of the exhibition. The exhibition was a very successful one. From the 1st of August till the 25th of October, 1939 over 3,5 million people visited it.

From 1941 till 1954 the exhibition was closed, and in 1954 it was reconstructed. The territory of the exhibition complex was enlarged, the number of buildings increased to 383, and the new entrance on the territory on the complex was conveniently conjoined with the metro station. The new octagonal square near the main pavilion completed the exhibition complex ensemble. The new square was connected with Mechanization Square by two fountains - "The People's Friendship" and "The Stone Flower". The pavilions that were put up in those times were notable for their pomposity.

The All-Union Exhibition of National Economy Achievements that took place in 1958 combined the All-Union Agricultural Exhibition, the Industrial Exhibition, and Construction Exhibition.

In 1960s-1980s the exhibition complex was considered to be unique and grandiose. It presented all the scientific and industrial achievements of the USSR. It was impossible to see all the exhibitions and fairs during one day. The total length of all the VDNH alleys equaled 65 kilometers, and visitors had to take special excursion buses to travel around the exhibition complex. In summer the exhibition territory was turning into the giant garden with various attractions, the dancing verandah, the Green Theater, and two summer cinema halls. In winters the guests were entertained by horse riding. Near the Northern entrance the famous sculpture "Worker and Female Collective Farmer" by V. Mukhina was placed. The sculpture was made in Paris in 1937.

In 1989 the exhibition hall got the status of All-Union, and since 1992 it is called the All-Russian Exhibition Center. Nowadays it successfully combines commercial and educational goals. Some pavilions are rented by trade companies.

The All-Russian Exhibition Center is the most popular exhibition and fair complex of the country presenting the economical, scientific, and cultural achievements of Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.

But im not sure if that helps but gives some background to the medals.....

Order of Victory

Thanks OoV! I was trying to decide whether to go there this summer and get some photos. You have made up my mind for me!!

:beer:

Thanks OoV! I was trying to decide whether to go there this summer and get some photos. You have made up my mind for me!!

:beer:

Add my thanks as well OoV! Excellent report! Actually sounds like one heck of a place to visit. Kind of like an agricultural and industrial display on the scale of Disney in Orlando Florida. Come, get a room and stay for a week and enjoy!

Definitely adds quite a bit for anyone who has any of these awards. If anyone can dig up pics of any of this it would be a fantastic addition.

WOW! Great minds think alike! :rolleyes::lol::beer: No sooner did a post this then there was the pic of The Space Hall. Okay... where's Space Mountain? :lol:

Thanks so much for posting that! :cheers:

Literally before I posted mine a week ago(?) I knew nothing about these except what it said in the Byrnes reference. And now I've learned so much and looks like I'll continue to learn alot more. I've said it many times before but I'll say it again here... this is just the greatest place on earth for those who collect and do what we do. And we have a terrific membership! :beer:

Dan

Edited by Hauptman

Guest Rick Research

I am very impressed: very informative and interesting, guys! :beer: I had never paid any attention to these, and yet in many ways they are more specific than an unresearchable Labor Order--certainly when the document makes a set.

I feel my interests... wandering... off... course... can... not... resist... must have... some of... these.

Guest Rick Research

OK, you've done it-- I've gone and "impulse bought" a small class silver (or alloy?) with no Xs on the tractor grilles and no serial number, green ribbon, screwback.

1960s? Silver or alloy?

Is there any way to tell-- especially from SELLER SCANS, aagggh, the difference between an alloy "gold" versus a "bronze?" Is there ANY system at all to the ribbons

color by class gold, silver, bronze or by economic branch or...?

Red, blue, green, wine-purple and?

I am seeing a mixture of documents out there, some with a bronze silver gold class designation and yet others which appear to be mis-connected to these medals, and ae text as "participants." Did "participants" get a BADGE, but WINNERS got medals?

Anything in the literature from any time period after the war as to rough numbers of these handed out annually?

Apparently screwbacks came in with the Atomic Trio after thaey ? replaced the guy waving around a wheat sheaf (something I'd like to see somebody do in real life without it shedding chaff all over and ruining the effect) so...

when did the Atomic Trio replace the Muscular Farm Couple? When did pinbacks replace screwbacks?

Why is the sky blue, mommy?

You have created a monster. :speechless1::lol:

The backs...

Hi Chris,

Now I'm really going to go nuts until I can manage to find some of the green ribbon ones. Just terrific pieces! They're like chips... can't make due with just one... gotta have a whole bag full. I'm afraid I'm thorougly hooked.

Thanks for posting these (drool drool! :P ). Great pieces one and all.

Keep em' comin'! :cheers:

Dan

I am very impressed: very informative and interesting, guys! :beer: I had never paid any attention to these, and yet in many ways they are more specific than an unresearchable Labor Order--certainly when the document makes a set.

I feel my interests... wandering... off... course... can... not... resist... must have... some of... these.

Hi Rick,

Welcome aboard! :beer: Now that you've been thoroughly infected... please save some for the rest of us... don't buy em' all up at once! :cheeky::P:lol:

Great little medals... can't wait to get more myself. Don't know what it is but I sure do love the little things.

Dan / aka "The Troublemaker" :rolleyes::D

It looks like I missed some interesting topics while I was gone. I can't remember (but that's fairly common) seeing this topic discussed on a forum before.

I had never seen one of the solid gold badges before and I was unaware that they existed. Thanks for sharing that one.

Here are a couple of 1939 badges and a dated and numbered silver 1939 medal. I know that my lost baggage contains at least one VDNK medal with its document.

Chuck

Here are a few variations. I don't have the undated, numbered silver variation and I've not seen one. I have the undated, unnumbered silver version plus these others.

The second from the top row left is a VDNK Laureate's badge. The two bottom left are awards for something I don't quite understand, something like For Success as a People's Manager/Host or something like that. I ruled out People's Mistress, but hey, what do I know?

The two on the bottom right are VDNK junior participant awards.

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

Chuck WOW!!! :jumping: That's quite a collection of AMs!! :jumping: It's strange that I'm only recently becoming aware of these medals :unsure: Definately a new area of interest for me!!

:beer: Doc

Hi Doc

These are just some things I already had lying around here. I hadn't noticed any interest before so I hadn't bothered with them much. I'm happy to share these and to appreciate what others have shared here. I sold a couple of nice ones in a documented labor group not long ago, but that's the only real interest I've seen.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck In Oregon

It looks like I missed some interesting topics while I was gone. I can't remember (but that's fairly common) seeing this topic discussed on a forum before.

Hi Chuck,

Well, it seems I went and posted a good one! Now, as a reward everyone needs to seen me one of these little goodies... my address is... :rolleyes::cheeky::lol::beer:

But seriously, I'm glad the interest is up as everyone is learning tons about these nice little awards. And that's after all what it's all about.

Dan :cheers:

I have been trying for some time to sort these cute little things out. Not sure how successful I have been. I have found one marvelous source, though: Igor Victorov-Orlov, "Achievement Medals of the Soviet Union," The Medal Collector 34, 7 (July 1983): 26-28

I encourage all to read the original, but some "high points" from this article follow:

1 August 1939, the 2nd Session of the Supreme Soviet decided to establish an "Exhibition of Achievements in Agriculture" at a site just outside of Moscow (Pushkinskore).

In the first (1939) session, 1000 Diplomas of the First Degree were awarded (and included Rubles 10,000 and a car) and 4000 Diplomas of the Second Degree (Rubles 5,000 and a motorcycle). In addition, medals were awarded [and Victorov-Orlov does not make it clear how these related to the diplomas]:

1st class - 32-mm gold, 1000 awarded

2nd class - 26-mm gold, 2000 awarded

3rd class - 32-mm silver, 3000 awarded

4th class - 26-mm silver, 15000 awarded

[Does anyone collect these cars and motorcycles as a part of a "complete group"?]

The medals were worn on the left breast from a green ribbon.

A similar exhibition was held in 1940/41, but had to be cut short on account of the outbreak of the GPW.

The exhibitions were not restarted until 1954.

On 5 May 1958, the exhibition was renamed at the "All-Union Exhibition of National Economic Achievements" and was expanded beyond agriculture to include industrial production. New medals came with this change in nomenclature:

1st class - gold

2nd class - silver

3rd class - bronze

All these second-variety medals were 23-mm and were worn from a magenta/rose-purple ribbon on the right breast.

Both issues had both screwback and pinback medals.

========

Observations and questions:

1- A 1939 issue and a 1940/41 issue, pre-war.

2- A continuation of the pre-war medals (undated?) for 1954-57.

3- New medals for 1958-??.

Thinking:

All-Union Agricultural Exhibition (VDNKh) medals (1939-40):

1- 1st class - 32-mm gold medal:

1.1- 1939 - serial-numbered

1.1.1- screwback

1.1.2- pinback

1.2.- 1940 - serial-numbered

1.2.1- screwback

1.2.2- pinback

2- 2nd class - 26-mm gold medal:

2.1- 1939 - serial-numbered

2.1.1- screwback

2.1.2- pinback

2.2- 1940 - serial-numbered

2.2.1- screwback

2.2.2- pinback

3- 3rd class - 32-mm silver medal:

3.1- 1939 - serial-numbered

3.1.1- screwback

3.1.2- pinback

3.2- 1940 - serial-numbered

3.2.1- screwback

3.2.2- pinback

4- 4th class - 26-mm silver medal:

4.1- 1939 - serial-numbered

4.1.1- screwback

4.1.2- pinback

4.2- 1940 - serial-numbered

4.2.1- screwback

4.2.2- pinback

5 ? 5th (?) class ? 32-mm brass medal (is this only a participant/exhibitor medal, non-prize-winner?)

5.1- 1939 - serial-numbered

5.1.1- screwback

5.1.2- pinback

5.2- 1940 - serial-numbered

5.2.1- screwback

5.2.2- pinback

All-Union Agricultural Exhibition (VDNKh) medals (1954-58):

1- 1st class - gold medal, 26 mm undated, unnumbered:

1.1- screwback

1.1.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

1.1.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

1.2- pinback

1.2.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

1.2.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

2- 2nd class - silver medal, 26 mm undated, unnumbered:

2.1- screwback

2.1.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

2.1.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

2.2- pinback

2.2.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

2.2.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

3 ? 3rd (?) class ? brass/bronze medal, 26 mm, undated, unnumbered:

3.1- screwback

3.1.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

3.1.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

3.2- pinback

3.2.1 ? ?X? on tractor grille

3.2.2 ? no ?X? on tractor grille

All-Union Exhibition of National Economic Achievements (VDNKh) medal (1958-??):

1- 1st class - 23-mm gold/gilt medal

1.1- screwback

1.2- pinback

2- 2nd class - 23-mm "silver" (copper-nickle) medal

2.1- screwback

3.2- pinback

3- 3rd class - 23-mm bronze/brass medal

3.1- screwback

3.2- pinback

The ribbon color on the small VDNKh medal is usually pink (faded red?), although blue ribbons have also been observed. I am quite confused by the ribbons here.

Laureate VDNKh - only one variation known at the moment.

Help?!?!?!

IPB Image

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Geez Ed, you make me feel like such a slacker. Well, yeah, I am but you don't have to make me feel like it. You did a great job of giving us the story of these badges and I really appreciate it. Your post is now a research document of mine.

My bags finally arrived yesterday and this medal and document was in one of them.

My bags finally arrived yesterday and this medal and document was in one of them.

Glad your bags arrived. In this day and age, when we cannot carry anything "pointy" in our carry-on, one always worries! At least we can lock our bags now, with Security Ministry approved locks.

Also I wonder... were there any monetary prizes given with these awards? I know this was the case in the DDR with the Banner der Arbeit Orders with each grade getting more money....

I think in the early days if you got the gold medal you got a car which was a major deal then!

Doc open awarded in 1967 to Myyra Heljm Alexandrovna

Chris

Hi Chris,

WOW! It just now walked in the door! I LOVE it!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::jumping::jumping: Just beautiful!!!!

Just can't thank you enough! My first matched documented set in these. They are so addictive which is really funny for what are kinda sorta labor awards which so many just ignore. But they seem to have a personality all their own. And to be this addictive to me without having enamel... is verrrrrrry unusual!

Thanks again. I definitely owe you a huge pizza and the grand tour if you ever make it down to my neck of the woods. Mi casa es su casa. :D

Thanks!!!! :cheers:

Dan