News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A couple of RK stickpins

Hi,

Something that you don't see all that often, a couple of early RK/EK1/EK2 stickpins.

The top (larger) one is from an Oakleaves winner's estate (don't ask me why there aren't oaks on the RK!!). The EK1/EK2 were struck as a pair and are the same size as the RK on the other stickpin.

The smaller one (no provenance) comprises 3 separate pieces and, most interestingly, the round attachment device is maker marked for "Hoffstatter, Bonn" - first time I have seen a maker marked 57er stickpin.

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing, first MM 57er mini for me as well :beer: . I presume the larger set has a 16mm RK and two 12mm EK's and the smaller one a 12mm RK and two 9mm EK's.

Now that 57er minis are on the agenda, here's one that has puzzled me for years. It's a combo, EK2 1914 and WB 1957 :o . I know this combination is plausible, but I can't figure out the date of manufacture. The pin is the horse-shoe type (some have an issue with this type, I don't) and the metal consistant with what I would expect from a pre-45 manufacture. The same goes for the pin. The image on the far right is for comparison. Are there any other minis out there, with the features represented on my combo?

KR

Peter

I presume the larger set has a 16mm RK and two 12mm EK's and the smaller one a 12mm RK and two 9mm EK's.

Hi Peter,

Actually they are a bit smaller - ~11&9 mm for the top one and ~9&7 mm for the bottom mini. Should have put a scale on I suppose.

Nice to see another maker marked 57er mini!!! I don't count S&L "circles" here (which I have on another stickpin), but I guess I should?

Re that unusual mini combo of 1914EK2 and 1939 Wound Badge, to me it looks earlier rather than a later example (is it zinc?) - the latter seem to have shinier and better lasting silver finishes.

Regards

Mike

Mike, it's not easy to know what foot to stand on, when it comes to 1957 miniatures :unsure: . My thoughts on pre-45 minis are not a problem and until I ran into this "strange" piece, nor was the 1957. Although the details occasionally can be quite astonishing on a 57er, the shiny appearance is usually consistant and a dead giveaway. The specific metal used for these minis is unknown to me, not zinc or "kriegsmetall", which I believe the "strange" combo is made of. With the exception of the one shown by me, I've never seen a 57er with the curled type of pin, normally seen on the pre-45 minis. One explaination could be "spare parts", as seen with i.g. 1957 Deutsches Kreuz, but that won't hold water. There was no WB 1939 without swastika!

Your suggestion that there were different manufacturing techniques over time regarding 1957 minis, would possibly explain the exsistance of my ugly duckling and put my mind at ease ;). So if there are any other zinc 57ers out there, with the type of pin seen on my 1939 WB combo, please bring them on :jumping:

KR

Peter