News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

One item to note - It seems as though Long Range Fighter Spanges are much more rare than their Short Range counterparts. Most of the Long Range clasps encountered are Gold and with Pendant. Very seldom do I ever see the plain Bronze, Silver, and Gold grades. I guess that by the time this badge was institued, the pilots had already qualified for the 'Pendant'.

Regards,

Mark

One item to note - It seems as though Long Range Fighter Spanges are much more rare than their Short Range counterparts. Most of the Long Range clasps encountered are Gold and with Pendant. Very seldom do I ever see the plain Bronze, Silver, and Gold grades. I guess that by the time this badge was institued, the pilots had already qualified for the 'Pendant'.

Regards,

Mark

Correct analysis sir, valid for other late war instituted clasps

Hi Rich,

I will have to check the badge, itself. The scan does not reflect the 'rings', you are correct. I wonder if the 'chocolate bronze' is just so think, that the rings are not visable. I will follow up.

Regards,

Mark

Mark

Superb as always!

One question on the Short Range Day Fighter in Bronze, is the recessed section void of the concentric rings? It looks that way and wondered if it was just the scan.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Superb as always!

One question on the Short Range Day Fighter in Bronze, is the recessed section void of the concentric rings? It looks that way and wondered if it was just the scan.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Sorry for the delayed reply. No excuse, other than just being lazy! Here are some additional images of the bronze Fighter. I do not see any rotary milling marks. I can't remember the axiom. Are all authentic Flight Spanges manufactured with this, and only this process??? Looking closely at the reverse, I wonder about the coloration inside the perimeter of the wreath? I tried lacquer thinner on a Qtip. The reddish tint is permanent, and is NOT soluable.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by mmiller

I do not see any rotary milling marks. I can't remember the axiom. Are all authentic Flight Spanges manufactured with this, and only this process???

Mark

I for one do not know. I was curious as it was strongly implied on another thread I had elsewhere relating to clasps that the rings were indicative of originality on early i.e. tombac, fighter clasps.

I questioned it but no-one else wanted to get involved in that discussion.

However, your clasp, I think proves that the statement made was incorrect. On your clasp I see nothing to indicate anything other than an original.

Rich

Rich,

Your recollection and mine, then, are the same. Rings are not a guarantee, but are a good sign. Lack of rings........... well........ I am honestly not sure? And I do not recall with conclusiveness that the topic has ever been addressed, and resolved!

Here are some additional close-ups. As always, if the (my) Spange is not good, I want to be the first to know.

Regards,

Mark