Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Guest Hashemite

ARAB MEDALS -- Saudi Arabia

Dear All,

Apologies for not responding to this thread sooner - a weekend away from Riyadh in Delhi. I detail below my notes on this award:

This medal was awarded to all those participating in Exercise Island Crown which was a military exercise held as a joint Gulf unit, a Rapid Movement Force, with other Gulf States in 1984/5.

The obverse of this 37mmm diameter circular medal bears in the centre the badge of the Saudi Armed forces being the Saudi National emblem of a palm tree above two crossed sword which in turn surmounts two crossed rifles butts lowermost, a pair of wings and an anchor. This device is surrounded by a wreath of two palm leaves tied at the base and above which, directly above the anchor is the Saudi Royal crown. On either side are the Arabic dates, 1984 (left) and 1405 (right). Above below is the Arabic inscription, “الجزيرة درع تمرين“ (Tamreen Dura’a Al Jazirah) which translates as “Exercise Island Crown”. Whilst the word island is a literal translation of “Al Jazira” in this context “Al Jazira” refers to the Arabian Peninsula. The reverse is blank.

From photographic evidence this medal would appear to come in two classes – gilt for officers and slivered for other ranks, however close inspection of the illustrated medals notes that the gilt medal inscription is preceded by the figure one whilst the silvered medal has the figure two. This may imply either two separate awards for two separate exercises or designate the class of medal. Unfortunately I have been unable to source any documentation concerning the establishment of this medal.

I believe the gilt medal illustrated was from an assorted lot at a recent (end 2015) auction in Paris - I bid unsuccessfully - and I was advised that a number of the awards up for sale had emerged from stock drawers or similar at Arthur Bertrand.  The gilt piece may therefore also be a specimen piece never signed off but I have no evidence one way or another.

Kind regards to all, Owain

P.S. GMIC has reversed the order of the Arabic words but not the letters.

Antonio,

Bottom row right to left:

Hajj Decoration - only certificate issued no medal produced.

Centenary Decoration.

Tamreen Exercise Decoration - no evidence that it has been manufactured.

Tabuk 1 Exercise Decoration - no evidence that it has been manufactured.

Friendship 1 Exercise Decoration - no evidence that it has been manufactured.

Jazirah Force Shield Decoration - no evidence that it has been manufactured.

I am in UK at the moment but will follow up on my return to Riyadh next week.

Regards, Owain

Antonio,

Thanks - I'll search the Arabic Internet when back in Riyadh, however I suspect that whilst ribbons have been awarded the medals have not and remain images on certificates.

Owain

PS 'tamreen' is the Arabic for exercise so third from right is 'Exercise Decoration'.